Skip navigation
TBartholomew82
Currently Being Moderated

Magenta banding on some files after importing

Jul 14, 2012 6:54 PM

Tags: #raw_files #d800 #magenta_banding

I am having a problem where just a few of my files show heavy magenta banding after importing into Lightroom 4.1.  I am importing RAW files from a Nikon D800. I don't think it's the camera because most of my files are fine.  And I don't think it's the files themselves either because they look fine in camera, in finder (Mac OS X 10.6), in Photoshop CS5 and even in Lightroom 4.1 itself at the import preview. But once I actually import the photos, they suddenly become corrupt and show heavy magenta banding. I've removed the files from the catalog and the HDD several times and attempted to re-import several times without success. And of course there are several attempts at restarting the iMac and running hardware checkers etc. to eliminate extra variables.  It's only 5 or 6 files out of maybe 30.  Please offer advise...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to TBartholomew82

LR is known to "stress" hardware - when this sort of issue is reported, the problem is usually tracked down to (say) a failing disk, or RAM problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to TBartholomew82

I would suspect a faulty Monitor Color Profile. When was the last time you recalibrated your monitor?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to TBartholomew82

It most certainly can be a corrupt monitor profile. I have fixed identical issuss on other systems with this recommendation. You may choose to ignore this suggestion but it will likely fix your problem.

Lightroom is very good at exposing corrupt profiles.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to TBartholomew82

It is easy enough to test. Change your active display profile to sRGB and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then the profile is likely corrupt.

If that checks out, then Video Driver software updates should be explored.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 16, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to TBartholomew82

Also bear in mind that the camera, Finder, the import dialog and various other software will be looking at the embedded preview rather than the raw data.  Once LR builds a proper preview, it then looks at the raw data which may be corrupted.  Can we download one of the problem files to confirm for you?

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jul 16, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to TBartholomew82

You can email me a dropbox link or upload a file onto my server (www.vbftp.net, username webupload, password 123)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to TBartholomew82

I wonder if maybe your video card is flaky.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to TBartholomew82

If by reloaded, you mean that you reimported the images fresh from the card, I think the bad stick of RAM was your issue all along.  Replacing the bad memory would not have rectified the banding issue for images that were imported while the original memory was present (these images were "damaged" during import).  I just had the same thing happen to me with a new computer that I found to have a faulty DIMM.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points