Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to import a .idea file into Illustrator CS3?

Jul 14, 2012 4:54 PM

Tags: #app #cs3 #ipad #layers #layer_saver #adobe_idea #vector_file

I have sketches and files on Adobe Idea on the iPad. How to I bring them into Illustrator and preserve the layers, etc? .png, .pdf and .jpg don't seem to do this. I'm sorry if this is a "no duh" question, but I am just starting out with these programs and would appreciate the help. The question didn't turn up in a forum search.

Thank you in advance!

~Anna

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to Lotusii

I don't know the .idea format but if it's a pixel format you might do better with Photoshop.

Just guessing though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to Lotusii

You are being very vague but specific about what you need.

Why not just tell us what the application is called and what formats it supports?

The more you tell us the more there is a possibility that we can assist you.

Does the prgram set text and if so does it support open fonts, are the fonts psotscript or true fonts?

Does the program support bezier curves?  Does it have pen tool can you copy and paste a bezier path?

And so on…

Layers and all that is fine but what is the nature of the out put can the program output for instance to eps?

Wmf? Emf? How abuo to a CAD file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:05 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Oh I see it is actually called Adobe Ideas? That's the name of the Aplication.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:13 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Simple read the info about the app and it states pretty clearly that you sync to the Adobe Cloud to be able to sealessly refine it further in Illustrator.

Screen Shot 2012-07-15 at 1.07.36 AM.png

I did not see whee it mentions exporting to any file type that is vector based other than this method.

Contact customer support or you can purchase a one month subscription to the cloud so you can do your work.

That is exactly the idea behind this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Furtrher readig states that sending the file by way of e-mail will create a pdf that will be able to be opened in Illustrator or Photoshop it does not indicate that the file will be flattened/. There may be a Cloud membership specifically for users of these iPad application which might not be billed at the same rate as the normal cloud membership you should check all of this out.

There must be a forum for this Application.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:36 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

On the ideas forum the answr to your problem the cloud is free for file transfers and sharing.

You have to sign in with yoiur Adobe ID and password if you do not have an account you have to create one which is free. Of course you have one or you cold not post on the forum.

here's a link to the answer

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/956395?tstart=30

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to Lotusii

You can directly open idea-files in Illustrator CS6

and as Wade already mentioned, you need Creative cloud to transfer the idea files. At least when the iPad is not jailbreaked (I don't know if you could access the file system enough to transfer the idea file directly with a jailbreak).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to Lotusii

You would need some kind of plugin to give Illustrator CS3 the ability to understand that file format. Maybe you have a friend who has access to the cloud and Illustrator CS6 who can download the file from your iPad or tablet, access it for you and downsave it to CS3?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to Lotusii

Hello Lotusii and Wade_Zimmerman,

I'm not sure if you've seen the Adobe Forums Community Guidelines, but here's an excerpt that applies to this exchange:

Be kind to your community

As in any community, mutual respect and cooperation are key elements to success. The community consists of people from different countries, cultures, and beliefs, with varying levels of expertise. Write comments in an unbiased and respectful manner. Be straightforward and sincere, and assume good faith. Good faith is about intentions, so keep in mind that well-meaning people make mistakes.

For more forum guidance, please see http://forums.adobe.com/community/guidelines

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 10:35 PM   in reply to Lotusii

I gave the Op as good advice as i could. As you will note on the forum that sometimes good advice is often viewed upon as a personal afront eeven by those who are not involved as it is not the way they would handle it.

Just about every regular participant has been accused of beiung rude insensitive and mean spirited bar none. zEven though it has been during a time when the participant has tried to help and thought that the user seeking help was missing the point.

Like itor not we all see things differently and many users who have been great contributors no longer participate in the forum because of tthe lack of understanding that each peron is an individual and an expresses themselves the best they can, you might disagree.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points