Skip navigation
e_mage_n
Currently Being Moderated

Unnecessary Android screen limit!

Jun 18, 2012 9:14 AM

Why does the Android version of Adobe Ideas require 8.9" screen while the iOS version supports the 3.5" screen on the iPhone 3G?  This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Replies
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    Jun 18, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to e_mage_n

There is not only usability issue for smaller screen size, but also technical limitation for Android platform.

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

In order to support 5" device, we have to choose "large" screen layout. That's support from 4" upto 7". Adobe Ideas needs to be changed to fit screen DPI. Currently, Adobe Ideas for Andorid version is design to use for 10" tablet.

This is the reason Adobe Touch App is not supporting 5" tablet on Android.

Thanks,

Takashi

|
    Mark as:
  • Takashi Morifusa
    87 posts
    Nov 12, 2008
    Jul 9, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to e_mage_n

Adobe Ideas is a vector sketching application for creative professionals who want to capture their ideas while on the go – there are many devices out there in the marketplace and each one we target requires additional development and quality testing. We have to balance this work with the desire to continue developing new features and pushing the feature-set forward. Based on many conversations with creative professionals we are currently focusing our resources on developing the product for touch devices with larger screens (7” or more) – our customers are telling us that this is more conducive to the optimum experience. Our customer research is ongoing, so if we start to hear otherwise we will revisit this strategy. Thanks for your feedback, please keep it coming.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Here I am telling you otherwise.

I do a lot of thumbnail/idea jotting on my One X which has a 4.7" screen. Currently I use an app that's very similar to Ideas but simply not as well thought out layout-wise and not as stable.

I would very, very happily use Ideas on my One X if it had feature parity with the iOS version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 11, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to Takashi Morifusa

Well, you have my vote to bring the specs for your paid apps down to at least 7" screens. I was rather disappointed when I read the screen size, resolution and OS level requirements.

I have a 7" Zepad C71 with Android 4. I can run your free apps (photoshop, Acrobat, etc.), but can not be a paying customer. As a small graphic designer I am not going to run out and buy a $500+ tablet, just to impress my clients. But, a modest priced 7" tablet is the sweat spot that could potentially make use of your new paid Android app portfolio.

Hope you bring the specs. down to the average 7" tablet soon, you are losing potential buyers.

(I also own a Kyrocera Echo Dual screen phone, that is stuck at Android 2.3, which would have been great for some of the apps at an idea meeting, etc. Saddy, I am guessing that the paid apps will never be back ported to Android 2.3 and my Echo phone will never get Android  4.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points