• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

<code> tags no longer working

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use html <code> tags sometimes when I want to instruct a user exactly what to type.

This used to be displayed in a monospace font like Courier New, with a white box around it.

No longer, now it just looks → like this

Also, code boxes used to display monospace fonts, but they do no longer either.  (They still have a white box around it.)

code line 1

code line 2

code line 3

XML and SQL code boxes still display monospace fonts, but Java and plain boxes don't.

I do not care so much about the code boxes, but the <code> tags should stand out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the page source for the above post, the <code> tags have completely been removed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<code> is not a standard HTML tag. (BBcode has a [CODE] tag.)

I'm pretty surprised to hear this ever worked! But it makes sense that Jive strips nonstandard tags. Doing so is good practice.

You can use a properly css-formated <pre> tag...

Edit: Fixed <code>/

renderings messed up by email interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oof. The email interface did horrible things to my message, not sure if it was intelligble (I've fixed it).

And beyond that, I stand corrected! You're right, HTML does have a <CODE> tag. I was just wrong. It was even there in HTML2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

I stand corrected! You're right, HTML does have a <CODE> tag.

Nothing to worry; we all get it wrong from time to time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using <pre>your code goes here ....</pre>?  I use something like this:

<pre class="jive_text_macro jive_macro_code" jivemacro="code" ___default_attr="plain"><p><code class="jive-code">code line 1

code line 2

code line 3

<br /></code></p></pre>

To get like this:

code line 1   code line 2     code line 3

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Have you tried using <pre>...</pre>?

No, and I don't want to start changing my posting style with every skin update.  The main purpose of my post was to get the old (good) functionality back.

Also, it is mainly the inline code (code embedded in text) that I want back, the code boxes work more or less.

I can achieve that do a certain extent if I manually specify the font and background color, as the example below.

Try typing the following into a Command Prompt ipconfig /flushdns and hit the Enter key.

And it is a lot easier to just put a <code> tag around it than <span style="font-family: courier new,courier; background-color: white; font-weight: bold;"> - and I haven't even a box yet...

Message was edited by: Pat Willener - heavily edited after losing half of the post during a posting error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Pat! We've logged this bug.

I'm new to bug-fixing process at Adobe, so I'm not sure how long it will take for the engineers to get through the log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines