Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HelpX is failing. Time to reconsider...

Jul 15, 2012 2:54 PM

We (I'm sure others will follow) were send here to express our concert about the current helpx-concept.

I'm a ACI for After Effects and Premiere, and will be for SpeedGrade as soon as such is availeble. My concers regard these applications:

- I miss a TOC (table of content).

- Top features are not even mentioned on the main page.

- Seaching results in a swarm of unrelated hits, or at best is a stroll along relevant information

- Some features are soley 'documented' in a video/tutorial, making them less complete and hard to surface when searching

- not index

In general: Helpx info would be a great if it was an addition to proper CS6 documentation. But it seems that Helpx is there 'instead' of proper documentation. This is worrying.

If I, as a 15+ year user of AE and Pr have dificulties finding documentation, then how will novice users find it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to Animotion.nl

Hi, Joost,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. 

We have flattened the table of contents on the Help & Tutorials page, and still need to do some work to organize the content better.

Would you mind sharing some examples of missing topics on the main page?

Search is not working as well as it should and we've assigned team members to work on it.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Flattening the table of contents was a VERY BAD decision.

I hope you re-think that and return to a real table of contents so we can find content.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:19 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Kirsti,

I normaly keep my tone down on public forums, but now that we are asked... Adobe has always listened to its users, hopefully it will this time as well.

I really like the idea started in CS4 to get the help to be the manual and to add video examples -from anywhere- as extra reference. But Helpx goes way to far. It is a big pile of scattered blogs, tutorials, references to CS-previous pages and to some new pages. But there is no 'Bible' (the one manual) that has a page number to refer to. There is only the landing page that keeps changing.

Example: Say I just got After Effects CS6, I go to the helpx and click on "What is new in CS6", I leave helpx and land on Todd's blog. I read that Global Performance Cache is a top feature. But that feature does not link. So I need to click back and look on the index page to see if I can find something, and there is none. And it was listed as Nr 1 feature.

There are many more examples but I think this point should be clear: The people that thought that proper manuals are not needed, and that a collection of odd tutorials and web-links/blogs are suffice are so wrong. Proper documentation (with a real index and page numers etc.) is key for high end applications like After Effects or SpeedGrade.

On the bright side: it keeps trainers, like myself, off the streets...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to Joost van der Hoeven

Yes Flattening the Toc was a very very bad idea.

CS4 was really a nice help with the official Adobe Bible getting enhanced by external content. Now it's just a random list of links on a "topic" page. No context, no detailed information.

Enphasis on video is also a bad idea. it's a good thing for tutorials, but a bad thing for help topics. You cannot search a video. If I'm stuck in my software or need helkp on a functionnality, I need to be able to read asap the solution, not watch 10 minutes long video where I'm not even sure my issue will be adressed.

Also, stop mixing the different version help. For exemple the AE CS6 doc is filled with irrelevant info from CS5 & CS5.5. When I have CS6, I want only CS6 info.

I already expressed my detailed thoughts here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1035508?tstart=0

So please reconsider the TOC and breadcrumb navigation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

Here is an other one. Got to:

http://helpx.adobe.com/speedgrade/topics.html

type in "hue" in the searchbox.

There are no, I repeat: nada, niks, niente, zip, search result about SpeedGrade. And 'hue', sounds like a very 'color' sort of word...

Can't get more useless than this...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to Joost van der Hoeven

To follow up, I'd expect the search results to be something like using this: "hue site:helpx.adobe.com/speedgrade" in Google:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=site%3Ahelpx.adobe.com%2Fspeedgrade+hue

So the info is there, this system is cripple.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Joost van der Hoeven

Hi, Animotion.nl,

Thanks very much for the "hue" examples.  This will help us fix the search bug.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Kirsti,

Nothing personal, but it is not a 'search' bug. It is the concept of helpx that is so fundamentaly wrong. That is what I (and others) are trying to get across.

Jzt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Joost van der Hoeven

I strongly confirm that there is more to fix than search.  Right now our team is also improving content organization, clarifying versions and adding missing content.  The feedback you've all shared is informing these updates.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Thanks, Kirsti, I'm glad your team is working on it. (In the meantime, I'm hanging on to my older PDF Help files which are a lot more useful.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Here's an update on fixes to help.

(1) Add missing content
    We’ve found new features that were missing or needed more detail.  We’ve been adding or augmenting articles for each.  We’ve already posted many of them, and will continue to update through August.

(2) Make it easier to browse for specific features

For CS6, we collapsed a lot of shorter articles to improve users’ ability to find related content.  Some of the resulting articles were too long and combine too many different concepts.  We’re identifying and breaking apart too-long articles.  This should help people find specific features when they browse the Help & Tutorials page and PDF topic list.

(3) Improve confusing content organization

On the help landing page (Help & Tutorials)

We’ve reorganized articles in each topic so they list first by highest priority and then are grouped by subtopic.

Offline Help PDFs

We’ll republish this updated order in all Help PDFs early next week (around 8/21).

(4) Make it easier to know when content applies to a specific version

Content for CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 are integrated into one Help content set. We have found errors and omissions in version notation and are fixing them.

How do we indicate which version applies?

--Most of the articles apply to all versions—so we don’t specifically identify the version on these articles.

--When an article applies to CS5.5 and later, the article name indicates which versions that apply.

--If different parts of an article apply to specific versions, affected section headings will indicate version.

(5) Fix search problems (filter for product, improve help results)

We fixed a bug in the in-Help search code so results are again filtered for the selected product.

We continue to optimize search results for CS6 content and have seen improvement.  If users want to search just Adobe reference content, they can filter their Community Help search results (see this blog post).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Thanks for your efforts, Kirsti!

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Aug 28, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Kirsti, you and the rest of the team can be commended for the way and speed in which you responded to the feedback over CS6 help.

Have the PDFs been updated already? (I suggested to put a timestamp next to the links)

And all the localized help files are scheduled for September, and should be the translation of the V1.0 PDFs?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

We appreciate the feedback—thanks!  We've made a lot of necessary fixes and updates.

We uploaded new versions of the English PDFs in mid-August.  Your suggestion about a timestamp is a good one.  We'll figure out how to do something like this.

The goal is to have a set of localized PDFs available in September.

The localized PDFs will be fresher than the 1.0 PDF.  It will include the latest content from the localized online Help, which reflects English changes through the end of July.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Oct 1, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Kirsti, I'm sorry to be coming back, but I posted a comment on a french blog, that was complaining that the localized PDFs were not available, suggesting that the help files should be ready by end of September. Is there a new ETA?

Also, some very important KB files (many people affected) don't seem to be translated yet, like the creative cloud trial mode issue. Should I use the commenting system to suggest a prioritized translation?

Is there a way to browse the KB files, as search can't always target them perfectly? (it will also find help files, etc.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PE,

Local PDFs:  I'm sorry you had to come back to ask about the PDFs.  We are actvely working on them and found out at the end of last week that we weren't going to finish.  We don't have an exact date yet.  I will update you as soon as I find out.

Critical KB files:  Please send your prioiritzed list directly to me.

Browsing KB files:  There isn't a KB-specific search filter, but you can use the filters on the results page to focus on Adobe reference only.  That will inlcude the KB docs and Help only.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

Op 1 okt. 2012, om 18:24 heeft Kirsti Aho het volgende geschreven:

Browsing KB files:  There isn't a KB-specific search filter, but you can use the filters on the results page to focus on Adobe reference only.  That will inlcude the KB docs and Help only.

I still don't understand that this isn't given more priority. Being able to have quick good search result should be the nr. feature of helpx, if not is is cripple.

Joost

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to Joost van der Hoeven

Hi, Joost,

I realize that it has been frustrating.

This has been a priority--and will continue to be.  Our main challenge has been that helpx.adobe.com is a new domain, so we've had to work to build up the search juice for all content.  We've made progress, but we've got more to go.

--Kirsti

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Hi, PE,

Here's an update on the PDFs.

Help PDFs will be localized into a limited set of languages, all of which are listed below.

The first of products with localized PDFs are Photoshop, InDesign and Adobe Media Encoder.  The languages for these Help PDFs are listed below.  These localized PDFs for these products are now posted to their local Help hubs.

• Photoshop: Français, Deutsch, Japanese (日本語)
    • InDesign: Français, Deutsch, Japanese (日本語), Español, Italiano, Nederlands, Svenska, Suomi, Norsk, Dansk, Português
    • Adobe Media Encoder:  Japanese (日本語)
    • Premiere Pro:  Japanese(日本語 )

The remaining products to have localized Help PDFs are Illustrator and the digital vidoe products (Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.).  Here are the languages that will be available in the next few weeks.

• All other Digital Video products:  Français, Deutsch, Japanese (日本語), Español, Italiano, Korean (한국어)
    • Illustrator:  Français, Deutsch, Japanese (日本語), Español, Italiano, Nederlands, Svenska, Suomi, Norsk, Dansk, Português

--Kirsti

Updated: 10-04-12

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to Kirsti Aho

I've updated the local PDF list as follows:

Adobe Media Encoder: removed some languages because only Japanese has been posted so far

Premiere Pro:  Japanese is now live

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Animotion.nl

I totally agree... I volunteer my time for Photoshop users mostly, but I touch on other Adobe products at a few different sites. I've been using PS for about 10 years and NEVER had as much trouble finding myself or others help when it's needed!

Please bring back the previous help system. The search was terrible, but at least F1 took you DIRECTLY to the help guide, and even provided a link to the pdf version (great for searching within the pdf itself). The online version was PERFECT for redirecting users to the exact place they will find the most helpful information. This new system literally and figuratively brings me to tears within MINUTES of using it. I never hated anything in all my life as much as I hate when I have to hit F1, or visit help.adobe.com.

Adobe really blew it with this one! I've TRIED and TRIED for what...  4 months now to give it a chance.... but 99% of the time I get more aggravated than anything.

Please Adobe.... bring back the previous help system! For my sanity's sake if nothing else! I can't afford to lose what little sanity I have left! lol I'm joking now, but earlier I was literally in tears purely out of frustration! Enough is enough ... please!?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points