Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS CS6 Auto Recover??? Posted earlier but seems to have vanished

Jun 14, 2012 12:04 PM

Hi... posted this earlier but the problem/question seems to have vanished... so, reposting.

Was asked to troubleshoot a Win 7 PS13 (CS6) crash today - first time to my knowledge PS has ever crashed! On restart, no Auto Recover option. All work lost. Did some checking.

Found two folders:

1. On the boot disk, found Users\xxxx...\....\AutoRecover

2. On the exclusive scratch disk - set on G: - found the folder G:\PSAutoRecover (as well as the PS temp file in the root of G:).

Both the AutoRecover folders were empty.

Set auto save time to 5 minutes... Rebooted. Restarted PS and created a new file - test01.psd. Saved it. Did some work, didn't save... kept checking... (played games for 15 mins). Checked. Both AutoRecover files remained empty.

Crashed the system (forced shutdown). Auto recover option and the test file was not showing up in the recent files list... opened the original test01.psd. No work subsequent to the original save showed up. Nor any recovery option. Did some more work on the file... just checked... both the AutoRecover folders are still empty.

(Just closed PS and saw that the PS temp file deleted itself. Both the AutoRecovery folders remain - empty.}

So, my questions are:

1. Is there a 'Permissions' attribute i need to set? Or...

2. Is the AutoRecover messed up? Or...

3. Is the installation messed up and should i advise a reinstallation?

TIA....

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 14, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to shunithD

Having tested the auto-save and recovery feature only in the Ps CS6 public beta, I just followed your footsteps.

Only thing that's different is that I had the Auto-Save interval set for 5 minutes before starting Photoshop.  My scratch disk is C:.

• I opened a file at 3:25pm, made some edits, and waited (doing other things on my system).

• At 3:30pm a PSB file, named for my document with a bunch of hex digits following showed up in folder:
      C:\Users\NoelC\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\AutoRecover

• I forced Photoshop closed by ending the Photoshop.exe process in Task Manager.

• Upon starting Photoshop again, my file, with the edits from 3:25pm opened.

So I guess it CAN work.

Perhaps it uses whatever setting was already active when Photoshop was first opened.  You should try setting the Auto-Save time to 5 minutes, then close Photoshop normally, reopen, and test again.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Where do you guys see autorecover?  I know the address but a click on Adobe Photoshop CS6 just yields:

CS6, CS6 Settings, Optimized Colors, Optiminzed Output Colors, Optimized Settings, Presets

What am I missing?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 14, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

Where do you guys see autorecover?

Exactly at the path I listed above in bold text. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

That was were I was, and same address I gave in his "dissapeared" post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to shunithD

As I have said above I just can not find CS6\autoRecovery.  Here is a screen shot.

cs6 recovery.JPG

Looked in folders and could not see it there either.  So what am I missiing.  New Glasses?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 15, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Look first on the primary scratch drive if it is not C:.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks Noel, yes it was folder on the scratch drive labeled PSAutoRecover.

Thought I was going blind as could not see it in spot everyone else had it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 15, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to shunithD

Out of curiosity, is X: a network drive?

I'm pretty sure Photoshop doesn't want to have anything to do with network drives.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 15, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to shunithD

Okay, I set my primary scratch drive to D:, with secondary as C:.  Opened a file, painted something on it, then left Photoshop alone.  At that time only Photoshop Temp5256875416 showed up in the root of D:.

5 minutes later a PSAutoRecover folder was created and the auto-save file written as:

D:\PSAutoRecover\NoelC\_SpragueLakeWalk56222DAE5342B8EDB7E88D31B654DB9 FB.psb

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 15, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to shunithD

Don't know what to tell ya...  Sounds like a malfunction.

Did you clear Photoshop preferences on the machine with the problem?

Just to double check...  Does the username of the user have Full Control access to the root folder of G:?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 15, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to shunithD

Sorry for the VERY basic question, but you DID do something to the document before waiting 5 minutes, right?  I think it will only auto-save if there are unsaved modifications in the document.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I just tried my AutoRecovery function and it worked as advertised.  File added to Scratch(S:)/PsAutoRecover.

It is on a partition of a seperate physical drive from C.  Made a moditication of photo then ended PS with Task Manager (Win7)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to shunithD

All my drives are internal.  If using an external for your scratch (not recommended) then you may run into permission problems to write.

If using an internal, and it still does not work guess the only thing left is reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 16, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to shunithD

shunithD wrote:

if ... is set to C:\, everything works...

Generally speaking, Windows and applications written for Windows just seem to like drive C: best.  It has always been thus and probably will always be.

This is a good example of why I created a super high speed SSD array for my own drive C:.  Everything just works and it's very, very fast.  I can hardly tell when Photoshop begins to go to its swap file.

If I were asked for advice how to configure a workstation I'd go against the general advice to set up a separate scratch drive and I'd advise setting up a big honkin' RAID 0 drive C: just like what I've done - using SSDs if the budget will allow, or with two or more high reliability spinning drives if not.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to shunithD

I think Adobe needs to get involved here - I really don't have any further insights.

Just for absolute certainty, I've just re-tested and found that it works as expected on all my drives on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate system.

C: is a RAID 0 array of 4 OCZ SSDs controlled by a Highpoint 2720SGL PCIe RAID controller.

D: is a RAID 0 array of 2 Western Digital HDDs controlled by the motherboard Intel ESB2 southbridge controller.

E: is a single Hitachi HDD controlled by the motherboard Intel ESB2 southbridge controller

G: is a Western Digital MyBook connected via USB.

Drives.jpg

The drives that make up D:, E:, and G: are set to spin down on inactivity, and they do.

The PSAutoRecover folder is created and the .psb file is written correctly at the 5 minute mark, just as configured.

You may see reduced performance by using drive C: for scratch, though I have actually found increased performance by doing so (given that C: is an SSD array).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 20, 2012 1:52 AM   in reply to shunithD

I wouldn't imagine that registry tweak would have anything to do with this issue as it just affects the display of folders in Windows Explorer.

What I suspect this has more to do with is a Photoshop quirk people have reported here from time to time where Photoshop jas been seen to write temporary files in folders not identified as TEMP nor present in the list of scratch drives.  But that's just a guess.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points