• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I select the Poster Frame when exporting to video?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PP CS6

I cannot find how to select the frame that I want to appear as the Poster Frame in the exported video.

I can select it I can change one by right clicking an imported video OK but not the sequence!

I've been through every menu I can find & even Lynda.com training!

I'm sure that there must be a way but I'm blowed if I can find it!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

There are two common meanings for the phrase "poster frame":

1. A standalone image on disk (JPG etc) which is displayed by a player before the video is loaded - commonly used by video player apps on websites (YouTube etc), InDesign and PDF files, etc. so the video asset doesn't have to be opened in order for the viewer to see what they're about to watch - although the image is normally captured from the video it doesn't have to be.
  2. An image resource embedded into the XMP/ID3 data of a video or audio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Hi,

Make a feature request here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might not want to hold out til you find it. A poster frame is not a function of a video encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! At least now I know that the answer must lie in Premiere Pro itself. But where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately you're barking up the wrong tree.  It is not a function of Premiere either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about saying where you expect this poster frame to be displayed. The method would be different for different targets.

You can create thumbnails for chapters in DVD authoring, Vimeo and YouTube have methods after you upload a video.

What are you hoping for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2012 Jul 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two common meanings for the phrase "poster frame":

1. A standalone image on disk (JPG etc) which is displayed by a player before the video is loaded - commonly used by video player apps on websites (YouTube etc), InDesign and PDF files, etc. so the video asset doesn't have to be opened in order for the viewer to see what they're about to watch - although the image is normally captured from the video it doesn't have to be.
  2. An image resource embedded into the XMP/ID3 data of a video or audio file which can sometimes be shown in the player, but is normally set because it  appears as the thumbnail image when viewing the files in Finder or Windows Explorer. It's not part of the content stream, it's in the file header. In MP3 files it's used to store album artwork.

You can create standalone JPEG images from PP using the camera icon below the monitor and can semi-automate the export of a still image alongside your video using presets in Adobe Media Encoder, but there's no option in PP (or via Adobe Media Encoder) to specify the embedded poster image in a rendered media file. Several third-party apps can do it, either during render (Compressor / Squeeze) or after the fact (Quicktime Pro), but support for these embedded resources depends on the wrapper for the video file.

The ability to set a 'poster frame' in the clip bins in PP is solely there to help you organize your project assets visually - for example if the imported footage starts from black, or if you want to choose a frame where the slate is visible - but your choice has no effect on the sequences at export and isn't written back into the original footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the time you've taken answering.

As you can see I'm now expert in the inner workings of file encoding!

On this occasion I want the frame to appear on a .mov video.

There is a poster frame (not from the first clip or the first or last frame of the last clip).  PP or the encoder must have "decided" which frame to use (because there is more than one clip) it seems odd that PP doesn't allow one to select which, yet allows one to choose it in the (relatively unimportant) clip bin!

I have tried control P and I have different poster frames in the web player than windows explorer.

Is the normal work around to encode it in PP media encoder and then use Quicktime Pro (or other) to set the Poster Frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oscar,

Hear what Dave said. You cannot choose a poster frame in PP or media encoder. You now get different poster frames in web and in windows explorer cause those programs have different methods of choosing the poster frame when it is not specified by a third-party program.

Dave: I believe Episode Encoder can set the poster frame as well?

EDIT: Actually, setting a poster frame would be a really nice feature in the future versions of Media Encoder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems odd that PP doesn't allow one to select which, yet allows one to choose it in the (relatively unimportant) clip bin!

Wrong. We have our choice. In Encore shortcut to chapter mark is press star (*).After chapter point appears ,just tick it with mouse and it will be highlighted with red. Now move the timeline header to whereever position you want ,when you are satisfied with the frame in monitor, press shift and star and your poster frame is selected. In case multiple chapter points are available , you should select poster frame earlier to next chapter point else misleading frame not connected to this chapter will appear. you may now proceed with another chapter point and repeat above. Chapter points and poster frame are connected to Encore only and not to Media encoder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct me if I misunderstood but Oscar won't want to use Encore at this point but he want's to choose the poster frame shown in Windows...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your time.

I have found a service to host the player and they facilitise uploading a poster frame, so problem solved.

As Arokki_ says it would be good for a feature in encoder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask what program you found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sort of looking for an answer to this too. To say it's not a function of a video encoder is absurd. I need to change the settings of a video file; what other kind of program would I use?

I personally am trying to upload stock to Getty and this is how they choose thumbnails. They supply a doc for using QuickTime Pro 7, but I can't find any similar function in QuickTime X or really any other program. I don't want to pay for QTPro7 just for this one barely-working function.

For reference, Getty's instructions say in QuickTime Pro 7 to go to View->Set Poster Frame, then to move your playhead to the beginning so QuickTime doesn't lose its mind (I'm paraphrasing), then File->Save.

This should really be a feature of Premiere / Media Encoder. I'm not sure what other services support it (Vimeo? YouTube? Wistia?), but it would be super-helpful if they do for the sake of explaining thumbnails to clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here looking for the same information.  it boggles the mind that this is not easily baked in, and left to Youtube or whatever hosting service is being used.  I don't want my client choosing, I, want to choose what gets used as the video thumbnail no matter where they publish.  I use Google drive for distribution for clients because they can preview videos in the browser before downloading and re-uploading to their choice of services. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also looking to solve for this, i'm creating a lot of short videos to be released on social media, i can't set the poster frame in Hootsuite for instagram for buisness which means each and every file has to go through a third party program to resolve.

Do we know if this is in the pipeline to be fixed at all? (and if not can we add it to the backlog?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember good old QuickTime Pro used to be able to do this, there was actually a "select poster frame" in the settings.

The only setting of poster  frames I've found in Premiere is for internal use, i.e. setting the poster frame of clips in your bin so you can quickly see what they are about. But no exporting the final clip with a specific frame, unfortunately. One would think this would be a simpe task for such a gigantic suite of apps, but... no.

In a project I recenlty did for Social Media I ended up instructing the client (who will be uploading the film) how to select a poster frame on YouTube and Facebook. I just hope they do it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since there seems to be no "feature" to set a poster frame, as explained by Dave_Merchant, can anybody explain how the software "determines" what the visual representation of the clip is ... is there an algorithm that might be able to be "gamed". As far as I can tell it is rather random, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was searching for the answer to this very question and this community discussion from 2012 came up first in organic search results.  I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020.

Setting the poster frame is done in the project panel.

Select Icon view (bottom left corner third icon from left) in your project panel.

Hover over your project video thumbnail/icon in your project panel.

Move your mouse over the video thumbnail/icon until you see the desired poster frame.

Right mouse click and select Set Poster Frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CA,

Sorry, the OP was actually trying to find out how to set the desired thumbnail displayed on YouTube or the like. That said, I do like your tip and it is something that everyone probably needs to know. Thank you.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The OP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking for a solution here. The question was not answered correctly and still unresolved. 

The video must show the specific frame that I want in my preview after exporting it, not in the work file clip preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Rani,

The answer is correct: You have no control over controlling external poster frames in Adobe products. Please make a feature request on User Voice.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is right!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it didn't work finally, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesnt work for me somehow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines