Skip navigation
jepperson823
Currently Being Moderated

CS6: Fonts substituting when printing

Jul 16, 2012 8:10 AM

Tags: #font #substitution #print #cs6

Today is my first day using CS6 and all of a sudden some of my fonts are substituting (to a default font) when I print. The print preview looks  normal. These are the exact same files I've been able to print with no problem in CS5. I tried setting Convert All Text to Outlines: On in the print presets and that didn't do it. (and of course I don't want to have to convert all of my text to outlines each time I print).

I also uninstalled and reinstalled my printer last night but I've done that before with no issues so I don't think it's the culprit.

Anyone know what I would need to change to fix this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to jepperson823

Are you on mac or WIn?

Clear your font caches by using software you may already have font doctor(comes free with Suictase), or download the free OnyX by apple, or with no apps open do a search for all you .lst files on delete them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to jepperson823

Try going here in the Print dialog and instead of using Subset, change it to Complete.

Screen shot 2012-07-16 at 9.56.34 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to jepperson823

To what type of printer are you printing? Is it a PostScript printer or an inkjet? If it's the latter you might have better luck saving the file as a PDF and printing from either Acrobat or Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to jepperson823

Found this for Windows may be similar for win 7.

The Adobe caches are located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSpt and delete any AdobeFnt*.lst files. Do not delete AdobeFnt.db or FontNames.db!! Those are not caches. As with the Mac, make sure that no Adobe apps are running when you delete them.

The Windows caches are

Windows NT, 2000, XP and Vista C:\WINDOWS\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT

Windows 95, 98, and Me (you pour soul) C:\WINDOWS\ttfCache

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to jepperson823

Jepperson,

It's an inkjet... There must be some sort of default setting that is different in CS6 than every other version of AI.

I believe the behaviour has changed a bit back and forth through versions. In some it seems completely impossible to print to a non PostScript printer at all, in some there may be strangenesses, and in some it seems to work.

In any case, PostScript is the safe way.

Is there any way to establish a PostScript driver (emulation) for the printer in question?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points