Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Copy and paste a Grading for video with the new PS Cs6?

Jul 16, 2012 9:02 AM

Hello

I would like to know how to copy/paste a "grade/color correction" from one video shot to another video shot.

(A grade/color correction can be made of several adjustment layers like curves/gradiants/color lookups/levels/saturartions with several blend modes and opacities ect...)

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to land rob

Just duplicate the Adjustment Layers.

Edit: Layer > Duplicate Layers or command-J (if in the same document) or drag-and-drop from the Layers Panel or …

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to land rob

Right-clicking on a layer (or several), then choosing Duplicate Layer(s), then chosing the Destination Document will copy everything associated with the layer(s), as far as I know.  Same with the Edit - Layer - ... menu method C.Pfaffenbichler mentioned above.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to land rob

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the specifics of what you're describing, as I don't do video with Photoshop.  I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know what you mean by "video group".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to land rob

OK, so you're just talking about a group of layers.

Did you select all of them, using Shift or Control to highlight them, then do the Duplicate Layer?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to land rob

You're kind of asking the wrong person; I only vaguely understand what a grading is.

What you're showing in the screen grab above are adjustment layers in Photoshop, clipped to a film clip layer.  What I'm saying is that if you select all those layers (highlight them in the Layers Panel) you can chose Layer - Duplicate Layers and duplicate them all together, just as they are in this document, in another document.

Beyond that - how this applies to video - you'll have to talk to someone more expert and experienced in doing those operations.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

OK, I think I see from your video, which I had missed the link for before, what you want to do.

You want to apply the SAME set of clipped adjustment layers to several different videos.

I would suggest creating a group containing all the clips you want graded the same, then applying the "grading" adjustment layers clipped to the group.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Glad that you mentioned the Layer Group, as that would have been my thought too. Then, just Duplicate that Layer Set, and add to each Frame.

Unfortunately, I use Adobe Premiere Pro, or After Effects for most of that sort of operation, and each offers a couple of ways to reuse the "adjustments," which are done mostly with various Effects, and are also applied to whole Clips, and not to a single Frame. In those programs, one can Save a Preset for some, and can always Rt-click on one Clip, after the Effects are added and adjusted, then Select other Clips, and Rt-click, choosing Paste Attributes.

PS - Extended MUST have similar, but I am just not familiar with exactly how things work in it.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Ps Standard and Extended CS6 both do video now if I'm not mistaken.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

I think that you are correct on that. Not sure that each has ALL the features?

I really need to turn my back on PrPro and AE for a few weeks, and explore PS - Extended a bunch. Lot of PS Video questions popping up, but when they get beyond general CODEC questions, etc., I can't really help that much. Yeah, a few weeks ought to teach me some useful things.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

That's tough for me to say, because this time around I upgraded to Extended, so I don't really know exactly what Standard looks like.

I've always wondered why Adobe, at least during the trial period, didn't program a setting that would allow the user to limit the application to Standard edition features only.  Then it would be easy to evaluate.  But of course they don't want it to be easy for anyone to know they don't need to spend the bigger bucks for Extended... 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

For me, it has just been the Production Studio, that had Extended, so that is what I got.

Going back, I tried to just upgrade CS 3 to Extended, but found that I could not. Though I had three separate licenses for PS, and only one was ever used in an upgrade path, once I did that, the other two would ONLY work to upgrade the entire suite, and I could not upgrade just one program - PS. I declined, and did not even bother with CS 4, as PrPro had some major issues.

By the time that I finally got PS - Extended, with CS 5, I had retired, so was no longer using PS (or PrPro), like I was earlier. OTOH, I do now have more time, and need to experiment more.

In the case of my upgrade path, there is not a price difference, as with my suite, there is no PS (non-Extended).

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to land rob

Again, I have no insight into the specifics of what you're doing (as I use Photoshop for still image work), but if you need the same adjustments done to a whole group of things, it seems to make sense to group them, no?

It seems you're trying to use Photoshop for something it was not designed to be best-in-show at.  I take it that it has features other than layer manipulation that make it attractive for use for this purpose.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to land rob

Like Bill said you can duplicate the LayerSet; to base the Clipping Mask on a new video layer move that one below the Clipping Mask Group, select its base layer, Clipping Mask that to the layer below and remove it.

And if you use one Group set to Blend Mode Normal per video layer the Clipping Mask should be unnecessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to land rob

Forget Clipping Masks if you don’t get or like them and put each video Layer in a Group of its own and set that to Blend Mode Normal (alt-shift-N with the Move Tool selected for example or the dropdown-list at the upper end of the ayers Panel), then Adjustment Layers in that Group will only affect Layers in that Group.

That way you can select a bunch of Adjustment Layers, duplicate them and move them into another Group and their effect will be limited to the Layer(s) in that Group.

How many different combinations of Adjustment Layers are you likely to apply?

Maybe one could automate parts of the task.

But is there an easy way like in AE, > select the layers > copy > select the new layer > paste

No, Layers in Photoshop cannot be copied; pixel content, texts and paths can be copied.

If I move the top video layer under the new cmd-J adjustment clipping masks it become a clipping mask itself, then the preview shots disappear in the time line, then I need to release the clipping mask of the moved video layer.

I don’t quite follow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to land rob

animationAdjustmentTestScr.jpg

Because the Group is set to Normal the contained Adjustment Layers do not affect the other Layers even though they they are active through the whole timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to land rob

You can go the other way: Duplicate the Clipping Mask Group as a whole, move it atop the other Layer, create Clipping Mask and remove the redundant copy of the original base Layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to land rob

Forget it, I missed the point and it would not offer real benefits.

Edit: For the duplicating that is, the Normal Groups would be a good option in my opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to land rob

The movie takes too long to load …

Have you set the Group’s Blend Mode to Normal?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,977 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to land rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to land rob

I meant (maybe I did not exlpain clearly) one Normal Group per Video Layer and its corresponfing Adjustment Layers, global Adjustments above that …

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to land rob

Or the other way round: put all video layers that you want identically adjusted in one Normal Group with the Adjustment Layers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 8:32 PM   in reply to land rob

You have to do something to 500 different clips, and you'd like it to be as simple as possible.  We get that.

Unfortunately, you're not just going to be able to copy the set of adjustment layers and have them be automatically clipped to the layer they're pasted in front of.  You proved that.

So you have to copy the set of layers, paste them in front of a video layer, then clip them.  Seems like only a tiny bit of additional work to me.  Did I miss something?  You are aware you can set all of the layers highlighted to clip to the layer below them at once with Alt - Control - G, right?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to land rob

Please keep in mind that I have 500 shots already edited ( meaning cuts, dissolves, fades etc ..) and my client and I would like to keep it that way

So?

Duplicating Adjustment Layers or adding Groups should not affect those settings.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points