Skip navigation
Nicolas Folliot 2 posts
May 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Typekit fonts availability

May 11, 2012 9:38 AM

Tags: #fonts #typekit

Hi, I just downloaded Adobe Muse final version and updated the website I've been working on in which I've been integrating Typekit fonts manually… Exciting move forward and ability to use my fonts easily!

BUT THEN I couldn't find my fonts in the menu! Are all Typekit fonts supposed to be available in Muse?

I have a Portfolio plan and the fonts I need to use are Proxima Nova Alt and Brandon Grotesque.

Thanks for helping me with that, can't wait to see everything fit into place!

EDIT: Here's Typekit answer to this. (HINT: bad news)

Currently Muse only has the free and open-source Typekit fonts available in it. In the future there will be kit integration, so that you have access to all the fonts in your Typekit plan.

Maybe someone from Adobe could tell me how long we have to wait for that…

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Nicolas Folliot

Hi,

You have to follow the typekit.com guidance about embedding the code for a typekit font. As of now we don't have any deadline for such an integration.

Regards,

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Nicolas Folliot

+1 for TK-Kit-Integration. Even if workarounds are possible, a seamless experience would be cool, since they're both basically Adobe and web-related. All in all, I think, especially in this area it would be neat if there would be fewer stand-alone solutions and a more integrated approach, basically Muse as a part of Dreamweaver, with Proto, TK and FW somewhat integrated. It would be great to have Muse as a kind of designers-front-end for rapid Prototyping and quick raw Designing in Dreamweaver and doing the fine-tuning by hand in the code (or let the devs do that, if need be). That all of these somewhat neat programs don't really mesh and work together coherently should really change (but then again I'm waiting for years to have InDesign and Illustrator melt into one application ;-D).

Still great work so far - visual prototyping is much more fun in Muse than in ID, PS or any other tool so far, despite all shortcomings an 1.0 obviously has.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Abhishek Maurya

It seems a little misleading to say the Creative Cloud would include access to the full Typekit portfolio and then only have some of the fonts available to add to an app like Muse. I've worked with Typekit kits for awhile and this is not what I envisioned when I signed up for CC. Judging by how interconnected all the features were touted as being, I fully expected a WYSISYG Typekit font workdlow in Muse.  I really hope the full library of  fonts are integrated into the Creative Cloud apps soon, especially if this to be used as a big selling point.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Nicolas Folliot

Perhaps I can shine a bit more light on the underlying issues here and where we're at.

The current release of Muse provides seamless support for 400+ fonts hosted by Typekit at no additional charge (regardless of how many sites the fonts are used on or how many page views those sites receive).

We very much want to add support for similar integration of the complete Typekit library of fonts, but it will take additional time and effort. There is both technical and legal work to be done in order to provide support for the complete Typekit library. On the technical front the challenges are due to the fact Typekit's paid fonts are limited to a particular Adobe ID account, a specific site/domain and are metered based on the number of page views to the site. Thus there needs to be more technical plumbing to accomplish this. On the legal front the agreements Typekit has negotiated with many different font foundries for their paid fonts need to be reconsidered in light of the new usage model from Muse. Finally, Muse is available in half a dozen language versions and that list will continue to grow with new releases. The acquired Typekit's service was English-only. Work is underway to remedy that, but it's not complete. Once all these pieces are in place, the Muse team will do our best to provide a seamless user experience for use of the entire Typekit library of fonts.

As for an ETA for when, I simply don't know. It's safe to assume it will take longer than you or I would prefer. Clearly it's in everyone's best interested for Muse to provide full access to both Typekit's free and paid fonts as soon as we can. There are just a lot of moving parts.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

Zak, thanks a lot for the info. Integrating TKs freefonts into Muse will probably be a very smart move in terms of marketing for people who just want to build a simple site - and, frankly, for more complex stuff Muse (so far) isn't working anyway, as it's done with other tools (Drupal, Joomla, Typo3 and handcoded anyway). We use Muse mostly for Prototyping, working with it instead of PS and ID, as the client gets a faster idea of what his site will actually look like and it feels cool to just have a sneak peak at the site in a browser with almost no fuss. What'd be enough (for us, anyway) would be a way to just integrate TK the way it is done in Wordpress via the plugin, as we use e.g. fonts we bought at Fontshop hosted via TK in order to «get» most browsers with as little drama as possible. So, maybe it need not be full integration but an individual plug-in only not integrated into MUSE itself, but available to registered TK-Users, something like that.

Muse already is fun - I rrrreally dig that it is in many many ways a very strange program that does unexpected and weird stuff and  sometimes makes stuff that via CSS would be a second's work totally complicated, and sometimes makes ideas possible that as a designer you simply would NOT DO with a CM-System. Muse offers a weird, free-is canvas and I feel that it workds to quickly scribble a design for the progger but also to work against the grain of what webdesign has become these last years (content managed stuff, mostly, load of it looking the same). We'll start using Muse for our own site, just to do weird stuff you really shouldn't do to this poor internet and the readers.

There's loads of stuff still to do (drag/drop of images, more Indesign-Feeling, the ability to draw empty boxes and fill 'em, a tight connection or basically a fusion to dreamweaver for fine-tuning stuff or handing it over to the dev), and sometimes I wonder if Adobe will have the staying power or if Muse will go the way of the similarly fun-yet-flawed experiment Rome. Sometimes I wonder if Muse should be crammed into InDesign or Dreamweaver, as it is such a curious bridge between these tools.

So, in short - more power to you guys for giving this experiment a Go. It's one of the more interesting roads Adobe has chosen these last years.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 6:36 PM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

"The current release of Muse provides seamless support for 400+ fonts hosted by Typekit at no additional charge (regardless of how many sites the fonts are used on or how many page views those sites receive)."

That would be a great feature except that most of those fonts are just not practical for use in web design–most are unweildy display and script fonts, or fonts that are either bad copies of better-known fonts or essentially interchangeable with standard web-safe fonts. There are about 30 that seem useful but that's being generous. So, while I was initially excited about the Typekit integration, I don't really feel it's adding anything to my Creative Cloud experience at this point.

I do understand there are myriad issues with liscening and other issues. My gripe is that the marketing of the feature leads to expectations that don't match the reality of what Adobe and Typekit are prepared to offer users. I really hope the selection expands in the near future.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

It specifically states on the Adobe website that Proxima Nova was going to be available in Muse via Webkit fonts. That's why I signed up because I just did branding for a company with Proxima and am designing their new site. Now I find it's not really available.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to imachrischan2

Hi,

Could you point us to the Adobe website that mentions that Proxima Nova is available in Muse as web font served by Typekit?

I personally haven't come across any mention of this, but if it exists, we'd like to get it corrected.

Thanks,

Abhishek

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Abhishek.G

this led me to believe i could use the font on my new website in muse...so i signed up for creative cloud. i don't want to have to do the workaround...cuz it can't be viewed in the muse app, i have to look at it in the browser...which defeats the wsiwyg feature of muse.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/typekit/features.html

Use real fonts on the web

Easily deliver beautiful typography to your website with real, high-quality fonts that display across all modern browsers. Adobe Typekit provides a vast library of world-class fonts, from old classics to new favorites (Myriad® Pro, Proxima Nova, Chaparral® Pro, and more).

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to imachrischan2

imachrischan2 --

For the record I agree with everything in this thread, including words from my Adobe collegues around how important enabling a full Typekit library is to us.

While you anxiously await this feature from the engineering team I know of one trick you can use in Muse that will allow you to view paid Typekit fonts in Muse before export/publish, specifically helping with this issue:

it can't be viewed in the muse app, i have to look at it in the browser...which defeats the wsiwyg feature of muse.

This trick assumes you are using HTML embedding to define both Typekit fonts, and CSS styles referencing these Typekit fonts. This sounds to me like the workflow you're applying right now. To enable the Typekit substitution when you click on the Preview workspace in Muse (note the Design view will still show web safe fonts) be sure to add "localhost" into the URLs you define in the Kit settings on Typekit.com. I use Adobe Myriad Pro on the Muse Knowledgebase website, and here's how I've defined the kit settings for that domain on Typekit.com:

TypekitLocalhost.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to Zak Williamson (Adobe)

Is there any update on this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to Dani Beaumont Muse Team

i meant to say thank you for this!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:55 PM   in reply to Abhishek.G

i sent an email with the url and location for the place that said proxima nova was available.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:57 PM   in reply to KeyStudio

i haven't seen any new fonts as i have been working in muse. proxima nove is still not available. :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to imachrischan2

Hi imachrischan2 ,

The link you sent provides the following overview of the Adobe Typekit service: "Creatively design with real fonts using a vast library of hosted, high-quality fonts from the Adobe® Typekit® service. Add a few lines of code, easily craft your design with real fonts, and deliver beautiful typography to your website." Through your Creative Cloud membership, you do have access to "hosted, high-quality fonts" (including Proxima Nova) assuming you are comfortable "adding a few lines of code".

Separately, your Creative Cloud membership also gives you access to Muse, an application that lets you "create websites without writing code". One of the features offered by Muse is seamless access to several web fonts; this feature is separately described here: http://www.adobe.com/products/muse/font-types.html. This page mentions "400 typefaces — including fonts from the Adobe Typekit® library*, the Adobe Type Library, and a selection of open source fonts", but does not specifically mention any font by name.

As Zak and Dani have pointed out, we'd definitely like to see richer integration between Muse and Typekit, but that would take time and effort. There is no update on a timeline for this.

Thanks for your patience.

Abhishek

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Abhishek.G

I'm reading this thread and I need to ask a question (maybe as a side-bar) regarding Google webfonts.  In Edge I'm able to integrate it them in my animation; I can't find a way to install Google webfonts in Muse however.  Are there plans to bring Google webfont integration in Muse?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to RonDinoso

There is significant overlap between Google Web Fonts and Adobe Edge Web Fonts

Muse has supported the latter since version 1.

See tutorials at http://tv.adobe.com/m/#!/watch/adobe-inspire-magazine/using-typekit-wi th-adobe-muse/

and http://www.adobekb.com/typography_pt1.html

Abhishek

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 10:12 PM   in reply to Abhishek.G

the unlimited use of 400+ fonts included in the $15 dollar a month Muse sub is quite awesome actually. Especially when Typekit is a paid service. with the Typekit pricing you are getting Muse for free plus a deal if you make a lot of websites and take advantage of the custom fonts. Which I do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to Dani Beaumont Muse Team

First I must say that Muse is a fantastic piece of software. Easy to work with and fun to use.

It would of course be even more fantastic if we could use the best of the TypeKit Library in the future. The fonts currently available via the TypeKit menu in Muse (3.1) are of very low quality. 99% of them are "display type fonts" at best in my opinion. But I do understand that there are legal issues that must be solved first.

In the mean time: If I want to use Myriad or Futura in my Muse projects—are there any workarounds? For example via the "HTML for <head>" field in the Page Properties dialog window in combination with some other Muse feature?

As Dani did in a former post:

This trick assumes you are using HTML embedding to define both Typekit fonts, and CSS styles referencing these Typekit fonts. This sounds to me like the workflow you're applying right now. To enable the Typekit substitution when you click on the Preview workspace in Muse (note the Design view will still show web safe fonts) be sure to add "localhost" into the URLs you define in the Kit settings on Typekit.com. I use Adobe Myriad Pro on the Muse Knowledgebase website, and here's how I've defined the kit settings for that domain on Typekit.com:

Do you have a step-by-step guide how to accomplish this? Thanks a lot! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to Wognum

I have found a workaround.

http://museinsider.com/how-to-add-typekit-fonts-to-your-muse-site.html

Hope this will help more designers to make great sites with high quality fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to Wognum

Is this still relevant or has Muse eveolved around this? I too need proxima nova. I have  typekit portfolio plan. I have latest Muse and I can't access Proxima.

Seperately it doesn't even show droid serif (it shows droid sans - just not serif) which is visible in the WYSIWYG menu i've seen on tutorials.

Does this fact lead me to assume something else is amiss here?

thank you

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to Dani Beaumont Muse Team

Hi Dani

Is this still relevant or has Muse eveolved around this? I too need proxima nova. I have  typekit portfolio plan. I have latest Muse and I can't access Proxima.

Seperately it doesn't even show droid serif (it shows droid sans - just not serif) which is visible in the WYSIWYG menu i've seen on your tutorials.

Does this fact lead me to assume something else is amiss here?

thank you

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to @me_RichJackson

Rich --

Yes, sorry to say this is still the case. TypeKit (the paid service) has been incredibly popular ever since we acquired the company, so the Typekit team is being pulled in quite a few directions. We're still keen on deeper integration with both free and paid fonts, but I have no firm timeframe to give you.

As for the Droid serif font it is part of the "free" TypeKit library -- see the screenshot below. Best way IMHO to brows TypeKit fonts available within Muse is on the Adobe Edge Fonts Preview page created by Tony Stuck.

Adobe Edge Fonts Previewer | Tony Stuck (toekneestuck)-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Dani Beaumont Adobe Muse

Dani thank you for the quick reply,

I have sorted the Droid issue - it just didn't find it in search but was there.

1) I have to say I do feel like others this was misleading in Adobe's advertising of typekit intergration. Sorry I guess this is old news to you, but I have spent a considerable amount of time researching fonts to use in my own personal branding within typekit - before attempting to build in muse - to now find I can't use in Muse. So, so disappointed.

Or can I? Do any of the suggested work arounds work with the current version of Muse?

2) As an asside I am possibly passing the final site off to a developer to convert to Wordpress site so I assume fonts can be substituted

3) Do the other typekit fonts work in Dreamweaver/other Adobe products i.e Edge Reflow - i.e is it just the intergration with Muse that is an issue here?

Finally I watch a lot of your tutorials  on this and find them immensly helpful and clear - loving your work just not this particular typekit upset.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to Dani Beaumont Adobe Muse

It could be said we are paid users, too, since the ability to use Typekit fonts was a big selling point for a lot of designers. I understand they are busy but we are their customers, too, if indirectly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to @me_RichJackson

Rich -- Quick responses below:

1) I have to say I do feel like others this was misleading in Adobe's advertising of typekit intergration. Sorry I guess this is old news to you, but I have spent a considerable amount of time researching fonts to use in my own personal branding within typekit - before attempting to build in muse - to now find I can't use in Muse. So, so disappointed.

Understood -- with Typekit in Muse (free fonts -- over 600 at this point but alas not the full paid Typekit library), Typekit paid aka "Edge Fonts" via their website, and at MAX the announcement of Typekit fonts available for Desktop applications (aka System fonts) it is hard to keep the details straight. We will continue to clairfy our messaging as the Typekit variations evolve -- It has never been our intention to mislead Adobe Muse users.

Or can I? Do any of the suggested work arounds work with the current version of Muse?

The museinsider.com tutorial on How to Add (paid) Typekit Fonts to Your Muse Design does a very good job of describing the current (rather painful, no-wysiwyg) process. This is less than optimal, so I'm not actively demonstrating the process, but this is what I myself do to include the Adobe Myriad font family on our muse.adobe.com site (aka I feel your pain).

2) As an asside I am possibly passing the final site off to a developer to convert to Wordpress site so I assume fonts can be substituted

Yes, all selected fonts will be represented in CSS, that CSS code could be repurposed on a Wordpress site. For the record the free Typekit hosted libarary is available to anyone -- it does not require a CC license or Muse. It would require an understanding of how to write the code necessary to make calls to specific free Typekit fonts.

3) Do the other typekit fonts work in Dreamweaver/other Adobe products i.e Edge Reflow - i.e is it just the intergration with Muse that is an issue here?

I'm assuming your asking about paid TypeKit fonts -- Yes, they work as they always have in Dreamwever. As for Edge Reflow you could similarly include paid TypeKit fonts in the code, but like Adobe Muse, Edge Reflow is limited to the free Typekit library for direct access (point and click) until the TypeKit team implements support for paid kits as an in-app experience.

Dani

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to Dani Beaumont Adobe Muse

Dani - thank you again for your quick and clear responses to my not always clear questions - You have been correct in all your assumptions.

Also I'd like to say you strike the perfect balance between representing Adobe and seeing it from the customers view - not just in your responses here but in your Jam sessions and demos.

New Question 1: If I download and pay for Proxima from a paid font library (or any matching desktop version to its typekit brother), can I use this desktop version in Muse for the 'design' phase. Then implement the museinsider.com work-around at publish stage to give me a WYSIWYG experience?

Am i right in assuming they'd need to be opentype or true type? Assume postscript won't work in Muse?

New Question 2): Yeah excited by the Max announcement of accompanying desktop versions. It quite literally took the request and absolute glaring need out my mouth/keyboard. I realise it is not due for release til June and details may be vague but do you have any knowledge whether this would likely be just the free typekit fonts or include some edge/paid fonts? If Adobe include edge fonts/aka paid - or atleast discount - to CC members, this would be a truly truly significant benefit to being a CC subscriber, and surely convert traditional adobe subscribers to CC members!?

Just response to previous:

(don't feel obliged to repsond specifically to this! ;-)

Have to say I was confused with the free and paid reference.

Thanks for the Edge being aka paid tip too. As a Creative Cloud member paid seemed not to apply to me because I get the portfolio typekit pack as part of my CC membership at no extra cost. As Typekit is now owned by Adobe - I, I think quite understably, assumed they would simply be available to me in the same way the free fonts are. No need to explain here - I am not having a go at you at all I 'feel your pain' in replying to the same problem - and understand their are technical and legal reasons. With over 15 years in the industry I really do know (and feel the pain of) font legalities. However in light this original post was a year ago it does feel a bit irksome.

I realise in the aquisition or merging of a company there is a pain barrier - but as a customer I don't want to feel that pain!

Adobe please throw your weight money and effort at this. If you see the Adobe logo on a product you expect an intergrated experience. As it currently stands it is a serious draw back to its core market:  professional designers who have previously mocked up in Indesign,  Illustrator Photoshop and passed to a developer.

Oh no. I've become one of those people that moan on forums! Sorry. It's becuase I really care about this and am speaking to someone who can hopefully make a difference or atleast voice this serious need.

I am super excited by Adobe's developments, have been to a few seminars and am a champion of Adobe products I really see Muse as a very serious solution to some web projects for non coding designers, which is why I have taken the time - unusually for me - to blither on here!

Thank you for the Adobe Edge Fonts Preview page  tip also.

Rich

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to @me_RichJackson

Hi Rich (and Dani),

I'll let Dani handle the other questions, but I wanted to make a clarification: Edge Web Fonts are _not_ paid Typekit fonts. You can tell how confusing the situation is when even Adobe employees mix it up...

Here's my attempt at summarizing the various offerings:

Edge Web Fonts: A collection of ~500 fonts (mostly open source) that can be used by anyone (no Typekit or Creative Cloud account required), on any web site domain, for unlimited page views. This is the set you currently see in Muse (and other Adobe "Edge" apps). The service happens to be run by Typekit, but is completely independent of anything you find on typekit.com. You can use http://html.adobe.com/edge/webfonts/ to learn more.

Typekit Library for web use: This is a larger set with premium fonts. You do need a Typekit account to use this service (a Creative Cloud memebership sets you up for this). Your entitlements (which fonts, how many web sites, how many page views) depend on your plan level (Trial, Personal, Portfolio etc.; a Creative Cloud memebership gives you the Portfolio plan). To use these web fonts, you need to create a "kit" (a set of fonts and associated web site domains) and embed corresponding kit code in your web site.

Typekit Library for desktop use: This is the new offering announced at MAX (to be launched in June). It will start off as a subset of the Typekit Library for web use, so it is not just open source fonts. Mark Simonson Studio is participating, but I'm not sure if their Proxima family is going to be part of this offering. You can find out more at http://blog.typekit.com/2013/05/06/sneak-preview-syncing-fonts-to-your -desktop/

Hope this helps.

Abhishek

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2013 4:01 AM   in reply to Abhishek.G

Thank you Abhishek for taking the time to clarify. That does make sense and is clear.

I don't have time to answer fully but thank you. It seems if Dani is confused Adobe need to sort out their messaging across all channels.

I can appreciate this is a new era with things changing so fast that its hard to keep up. I saw the Keynote and the Sneak peaks at Adobe Max and it's seriously impressive the leaps that are being made by Adobe. I wouldn't swap that for a bit of confusion. But I think a little focus is required. For future Muse and any other Jam sessions and Video how too's the type issues need to be cleared up, and understood by all staff giving these how too's - we take your word for it!

thanks

Rich

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points