Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to regain access to JPEG files after I uninstalled Photoshop 6.0 and reinstalled it

Jul 16, 2012 10:10 AM

I had a problem with a tool in my Photoshop 6.0 and decided to completely uninstall it and after that, I rebooted my system and reinstalled the program. That specific tool (paint bucket) and all others work great now. I did notice a problem afterwards though, where if I navigate to MY DOCUMENTS in the bottom toolbar and scroll through my various named folders in that vertical list, no JPEG files are visible. Is there some kind of setting in PS I need to tweak so I can see / access them directly?
The other head-scratcher is if I go to START>MY DOCUMENTS and access those same various named folders that way, ALL the jpeg files are visible. I have a Maxtor USB drive connected to my CPU and that did not help them to reappear either, so wonder if it's within Photoshop?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Bob20441

Literally, Photoshop 6.0, not CS6?   You're not talking about Photoshop Elements 6, are you?  Yes, Adobe has created a very confusing naming/numbering setup. 

Assuming you really are talking about Photoshop 6.0:  Do you realize that's 7 major versions out of date?  That said, I do actually have Photoshop 6.0 running on my Windows 7 system.  In the File - Open box, do you have the Files of type: field set to All Formats?

I suspect, however, by your mention of the "bottom toolbar" that you must be running Photoshop Elements.  Unfortunately that's actually a different application, and you may get better help here:  http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

Good luck!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Bob20441

No screenshot is showing in the forum.  I'm guessing you replied via eMail. 

There is only one way to attach an image - via the web interface:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4560784#4560784

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Bob20441

Is the issue that you're not seeing thumbnails for the image files?

We really kind of need to know what operating system you're running to provide more specific help.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Bob20441

For screen-caps attached to a Reply, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to Bob20441

You stopped reading too soon, because you knew about that part - just read on.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Bob20441

You can attach images while writing a response using the tiny "camera" icon just above the editor pane.

I'm discerning the basic issue here is that you're expecting to see thumbnail images (tiny previews of the actual image) of your JPEG files, and instead are just seeing Ps icons.

Though Explorer should be able to make thumbnails for JPEG files right out of the box, it seems to me the old version of Photoshop came with a dll (or maybe you could download it and add it) called psicon.dll that was called into service to create thumbnails in Explorer for other file types as well.  Maybe that's gotten twisted up somehow.  Psicon.dll was discontinued in later versions because of problems it caused, and there have been some 3rd party codec companies that have stepped up with even better codecs that get the job done for modern OSs.  I don't know if they're available for Windows XP though.

Do you have psicon.dll on your system (e.g., in the PATH) somewhere?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to Bob20441

You cannot send or attach images if you access the forum through email.

The forum is designed primarily to be accessed through its web interface with your web browser, not by email.

You need to use your web browser and log in to the forum, then use the little camera icon in the forum's Reply Editor to embed the image in your post.

Adobe_forums_cameraicon.jpg

Please specify whether you are using Photoshop Elements, as very few folks here are familiar with that limited application.  Photoshop Elements is NOT Photoshop, and it has its own dedicated forum.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to station_two
    You cannot send or attach images if you access the forum through email.

Station_Two,

Good poiint, but I was referring to this:

And to attach the screenshot using the web

interface, how the heck do we do that?

About 2/3 of the way down my article, posted above, I used the same screen-cap as you, but instead of a large arrow, just drew a circle around that "camera" icon, and stuck a lable on it. Unfortunately, I should have mentioned that "if you know how to do this - read down a few lines."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

…but I was referring to…

I know you were, Bill, but I wasn't addressing you or your post at all.  If you look closer, my post is framed in reply to Bob20441

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to station_two

I understand, and as I said, your point is a good one, and will definitely help other readers, who ARE using e-mail.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob,

Not sure that I understand the issue. With "All Formats" showing, I see mostly JPEG images in that folder, plus a few PSD's.

Now, if you wish to filter the files in that folder's display, you can use the drop-down, to show, perhaps only PSD's, but I do not think that is what you wish to do.

When you choose one of those JPEG images, aren't they opening in PS?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Is your complaint that the thumbnail icons for both JPEGs and PSDs look the same to you in that dialog box?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Oh OK. That should be simple, and especially in XP (am I recalling correctly that you are on XP?).

That is all about File Associations. Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Type. Wait a moment for the list to populate. Scroll down to JPEG, JPG, JPE, and for each, Change, choosing the desired program for those. The dialog screen should give you some logical choices, but if you do not see what you want, scroll down the program list for the .EXE file. Leave PSD alone, as it is Associated with PS. I do that for the full spectrum of JPEG files, as I do not want them to launch PS, but rather a smaller, quicker image viewer. Vista was about the same, but some things did change with Win7, and it's not quite so straightforward now, but still usually doable.

Good luck, and hope that helps. Thank you for the clarification, and you are correct, I was missing the problem.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Yes, but we were typing at the same time - File Association, from Control Panel>Folder Options>File Type, and set the Association there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Bob20441

That has little to do with Photoshop - what you're showing is a Toolbar on your Windows Taskbar.

I don't see anything wrong with it.  I accept that you are saying it looked different prior to reinstalling Photoshop.  It's probably because a different application was associated with JPEG (image) files before, and Photoshop - now having been the most recent installation on your system - associated itself with the image file formats.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Whenever I install any program, that might "adjust" my File Associations, the first thing that I do is reset those to where I want them. PS is very good, but WILL set Associations to itself for Image files.

Going back some years and versions, Apple's QT Player (for Windows) was the worst. Then, it just grabbed ALL File Types and Associated them to it - IIRC even TXT and WPD (WordPerfect files), were Associated to QT Player, even though it could not open them. One had to clean up a very big mess. At a point in the past, they at least allowed the installer to choose, say just MOV and MP4 files to QT Player - a very big improvement.

To Bob, you might want to give some thought about other Image file types too, in case you want some others, like TGA, GIF, TIFF and a few more, to Open in other programs, as they are likely Associtated to PS now.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob,

Highlight each one, one at a time. When you do, look down a bit, and Change will no longer be grayed out. Click on that, and you will get a short list of likely programs. If you want Windows Image/Fax Viewer, and it is not listed initially, you can then search for it, and when you locate it, select it to be the default. The icon should change, along with the File Association. Unfortunately, I do not know of a way to select multiple formats, and do them all at once.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bob,

That first list - the short one, that I mentioned, is called Recommended Programs, and Windows Image/Fax Viewer should be one of those. The longer list is called Other Programs. I just could not remember how those were deliniated, and had to look.

Almost forgot - check the Always Use Selected Program, just below the upper panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Those are consistent with what I do, when I first install an OS. I often forget that many others DO Hide Files Extensions, Hide System Files, etc., and just charge off telling them to do ____, but when they cannot see the File Extensions, etc., they are lost, and I have to really think about it, until I realize that I do that out of habit, and did so, so very long ago, as to never consider such things now.

Good luck, and did the JPEG, JPE, etc., work fine, when you directed their Association to Windows Image/Fax Viewer? Make sure to see my above post, as I almost forgot to tell you to check the Always Use Selected Program... checkbox, to set that permanently - until you reinstall PS, or some other image-editing, or maybe even viewer program.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob20441 wrote:

Hi station_two:

Yes, because when I click the one designated in JPEG, it won't open in

Windows "picture viewer", only in Photoshop. Is there something I need to

reset in Windows after I reinstalled PS? Or within PS directly, so that the

actual JPEG icon appears again? Hopefully you are not confused.

Bob, your misconception is that JEPG icons and PSD icons are inherently different by themselves.  They are NOT.  They are defined by the application with which they are associated in File Associations.  They're different when the JPEGs are associated with one application and the PSDs with another one.  Because you have both file types associated with Photoshop, the icons look similar and both file types open in Photoshop.

Bill Hunt is guiding you through the file association issue much better than I could ever do, as I'm primarily a Mac user.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to station_two

as I'm primarily a Mac user.

In this case, I am so very fortunate, as Windows has made some major changes in this area, and from my readings, it would be as though I have been thrown to a Mac. With earlier versions of Windows, things were so very easy. Now? Not sure that I could be ANY help.

That said, you are 100% on the icons, and their program File Associations in Windows. [You know more about Windows, than I do about Mac's.] The icons WILL reflect the program, to which that file type is Associated. On one of my computers, I do have the various JPEG files Associated with Windows Image/Fax Viewer, and they show that program's icon. On the other, they are Associated with the old Ulead PhotoImpact, and their icons there, reflect the different program. Like Bob, the OP, I want my JPEG's Associated with other programs, than my beloved PS. In my case, I try not to edit JPEG's, but do want to view them - hence the choice of an Image viewer. When I DO want to edit them, I just Open them in PS, and hold my breath, but THAT is a story for another time.

Nah, you nailed the issue - File Associations at the OS level.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, I can see why others may want different image types associated with different image viewers or editors.  Personally, I keep JPEGs to an absolute minimum, using them only as output target files when required to deliver such and practically never view them after that.  Thereforre, I want all my image file types associated with Photoshop.

I'n not totally ignorant of Windows, of course—but close.     I've mentioned earlier that I was forced to use Windows boxes for fifteen years when I worked for Uncle Sam, and at one point in time, due to deaths and illness in the IT staff, I became the de facto IT Dept for three or four moths all by my lonesome self, running both the PCs (about 80 of them) and the Linux systems and putting in 18-hour workdays.  I shudder when I think back. 

Four years ago I bought a Toshiba Windows laptop, which i sometimes use when I travel—just so it doesn't hurt as bad if it gets stolen or lost.  

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob20441 wrote:

…discovered if I did try and put all this ONTO a Mac based OS, I'd need to run "virtual PC"…

Absolutely not true, Bob20441, but I'm not here to proselytize in favor of the Mac.  At this point, given the direction Apple is going with the dumbed-down OS in favor of compatibility with mobile devices like the iPad, MacAir and iPhone, I don't have much faith in the long-range viability of the desktop Mac as a serious computing platform. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob20441 wrote:

… That being said, I may take this to a Windows forum and see what the heck I can do to rememdy this....thanks!

What are you talking about? !    Bill Hunt is giving you very able guidance!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to station_two

Personally, I keep JPEGs to an absolute minimum, using them only as output target files when required to deliver such and practically never view them after that.

For images that I work on, I feel the same way - JPEG is an output format, for when clients need it.

However, I get several JPEG's a week, usually attached to e-mail, and they are most often cute Bulldogs doing something special, or maybe a wine label. Those, I will only care about viewing.

When working from any of my Images, JPEG is the last thing on my mind, even for descriptive screen-caps, as I try to use PNG most often there.

Nah, for commercial use, I shy away from JPEG's, when the clients will allow me to.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

…they are most often cute Bulldogs…

"Cute Bulldogs"?  Isn't than an oxywhatchamacallit  Just kidding.

For viewing things like that, Bridge is more than enough for me.  The Bridge Preview panel practically fills my main screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:30 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob,

Have you clicked on each JPEG format, and then done Change, to select another program as Default for all of those?

Unless something is very wrong with your OS (and if it is, then you NEED to fix that immediately), if you change the File Association, and check Always Use Selected Program, the icons should change, and when you Dbl-click on one of those files in Windows Explorer, they SHOULD open the destination program, that you have set, and you should be able to view them there.

They will STILL Open in PS, with the Open selection from the Toolbar: File>Open, if you need to edit them.

Is something not working for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Sigh…

Bob20441, you haven't been paying any attention to anything Bill Hunt and I have typed. 

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points