Skip navigation
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to station_two

No argument on Bridge. It is a very active program on my computers, but takes longer to load, and display, than some of my other options.

Now, I WILL argue about English Bulldogs, but that would get very OT for poor Bob, and I did see the smiley! "Beauty in the eye... "

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to station_two

I am beginning to think that someone else needs to restate things, as I do not believe that I am helping. Maybe I have chosen the wrong words.

Let me think about this a bit, and see if I can do better.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bob,

This is what I did from Control Panel>Folder Options:

File_Associations.png

Is this what you want to do?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:50 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Sorry about the Bulldogs. That was my bad.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to Bob20441

OK, glad that the File Association thing worked.

Now, how many multi-drives do you have on your system? Every build that I have done, will always have at least two, and of different makes/models, as some read disc A better, while the other will read disc B better.

If you are not getting your installation to work properly, here are two options:

Copy your installation disc to your HDD, and try to install from there.

If that does not work, then download the great, free ImgBurn, and Copy your installation disc to a blank DVD. Try from that one.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob,

Also remember that if you reinstall PS, it will set several File Associations to itself, and if you previously changed those, you will need to do so again.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob20441 wrote:

…now I am trying to RE-INSTALL Photoshop Version 6.0 on my system…

Are you really dealing with Photoshop 6.0, as in seven (7) whole versions ago?  That sucker was released in the last year of last millennium, 12 years ago!  

That was before the Healing Brush was introduced and before text was made fully vector!  Way before even the first version of Adobe Camera Raw!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob,

The .EXE is the file extension, i.e. it is an executable. It will not appear in an alphabetical list of programs, but would be something like Photoshop.EXE, or PhotoImpact.EXE. In the Programs list, you will not even see that. When you choose Change, and then Browse, should the desired program not show up in the Programs list, you will, depending on your settings.

Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Bob20441

This View setting is for Web pages. How do multiple Web pages display for you?

Mine is set, exactly as yours is, and I have no issues with the display (View) of Web pages.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to Bob20441

If your Web page display is OK, then leave that View setting, as it is.

I also retained a much older version of PS, version 4, as it handled one specific form of Spot Color, in a particular way, that changed, as of PS version 5 and later. I had a client, who had one client, who needed that "old style" about twice per year, for their printer. There ARE reasons to stick with older versions, though I did upgrade my "regular" PS over the years.

Now, you mention that something has gotten messed up. Where are you now? I remember that you did a reinstall of your PS, and if that is correct, you might need to go back to Windows, and repeat the steps for File Association. I just want to make sure that we are talking about the same thing now.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob, could you please re-state your goals, in plain, unambiguous terms.  I'm sorry, but I've lost the plot.

What do you want to see where?  How should it look to make you happy?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Ahh! I certainly don't want to mock the OP - but these screenshots are like time travel - so many memories! Fun

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

@ Noel 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to Bob20441

Yes, when installing PS, it assumes that you want all of the Image formats, that it supports, to point to it, as the default program for those Image formats.

In Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types, just scroll down for the JPEG, JPG, JPE, and then GIF, etc., changing each one to associated with the program of choice, such as possibly Windows Image/Fax Viewer, or other. This will be done one-at-a-time, as I know of no way to select multiple file formats, and then globally change the File Association, all at once.

When done, you icon should reflect the program, that you Associate the format with.

As an example, most of those file formats are Associated with Ulead PhotoImpact on my workstation, and each sports the icon for PhotoImpact. On my laptop, they are Associated with Windows Image/Fax Viewer, and sport that program's icon. My PSD and PSB files are still Associated with PS (plus some others), so sport that PS icon.

Good luck, and remember, if you reinstall PS, you will need to repeat this operation.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob20441,

Without any apparent success, I've tried explaining to you your erroneous conception of file icons being associated with file types rather than with an application.

From my post #28:

Bob, your misconception is that JEPG icons and PSD icons are inherently different by themselves.  They are NOT.  They are defined by the application with which they are associated in File Associations.  They're different when the JPEGs are associated with one application and the PSDs with another one.  Because you have both file types associated with Photoshop, the icons look similar and both file types open in Photoshop.

I just don't see what else all those who have tried to help you here could possibly do to make you understand this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Bob20441

OK.  I give up.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 20, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Bob20441

Bob, I have an idea that may  help you.

Download and install the freeware viewer Irfan Viewhttp://www.IrfanView.com

During installation it will ask you what file types you would like associated with it.  When I installed it I picked the "Images Only" choice.

Now when you double-click smiling guy.psd or mouse 150.gif the IrfanView viewer will pop up virtually instantly and show you the image.  It's a very nice viewer and is quite configurable.  You can sweep through multiple images in the same folder quickly by just pressing the space bar, you can go full-screen by pressing Enter, and it will even do slideshows.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Bob20441

One thing i'm curious about is those blue symbols on the photoshop icons. (file icons)

What are those?

Untitled-5.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 20, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Bob20441

So you're saying the right application is opening but you don't like the icon - I finally get it.

I don't remember how to help change just that - sorry.  I probably did once, but it's been too long since I used XP.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

R_Kelly wrote:

One thing i'm curious about is those blue symbols on the photoshop icons. (file icons)

What are those?

Untitled-5.png

Ooooh!  I nearly missed the implied < sarcasm > tags in R_Kelly's great post!  

That is the bloody Photoshop icon, which is what I've been trying to tell the original poster all along:

photoshop_44x42.gif < =====  Photoshop application icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Bob20441

See if the following works:

1. Open the folder options>file types dialog

2. Click on the JPG File

3. At the bottom of the dialog you will see either Advanced or Restore.

If you see Restore press that and the advanced button will appear.

If the advanced button is already visible press that.

file-type-1.png

4. In either case of the above press the advanced button

5. In the Edit File Type dialog press Change Icon

6. In the Change Icon dialog press Browse

file-type-2.png

7. You want to find the shimgvw.dll so navigate to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll

8. Click open and choose your icon and click OK in all the dialogs except the Folder options dialog.

file-type-3.png

9. In the folder options dialog you may have reset the file association back to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, but that shouldn't change the icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to station_two

Yeah now that i read it it does sound i like was pointing out the obvious at the expense of the op, but i really was asking about the liitle tiny blue things on the icons.

Probably doesn't really matter, just curious is all.

This is how it should look: (without any other stuff on the icon)

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Yes, his icons appear to come from one or more of the miscellaneous custom icon collections distributed or sold (for Windows XP in his case), e.g.:

http://www.brothersoft.com/document-icon-pack-55769.html

document_icon_pack-55769.jpeg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

…which leads me to wonder and speculate how such things were installed in XP at the time.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points