Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New CS6 Install Issue

Jul 16, 2012 10:42 AM

Every modern version of Photoshop I own has been an upgrade.  I think the only full version I own is the old 4.0 (not CS) and have upgraded ever since.  Buying a new system and installing my latest copy has always been a major problem since I first needed to install several previous versions first.

But now, that's impossible. So I'm sitting with CS6 and a brand new computer with upgrades of CS5, CS4, CS3, CS2 etc.  I can't install anything since they're all upgrades and my ancient original copy isn't doing me any good.

What am I suppose to do?  Spend $700 on a full version?????

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to SuperBeer Dude

I don't understand your problem. Photoshop upgrades don't need to have the previous version installed on the computer.  You only need to enter the serial of the qualifying previous version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to SuperBeer Dude

Acresofgreen is absolutely correct.  Read the installer dialogs carefully - you'll see where to do it.

And no, it has not changed - it's been possible to install upgrades by supplying a serial number for quite a long time now.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

it's been possible to install upgrades by supplying a serial number for quite a long time now.

I have been trying to recall the last time that I needed an installed version of PS to upgrade. I think that it was about PS version 5 (not CS 5). At about version 6, I think that I needed to insert the CD # 1 to be read (that was an upgrade), but from about that point, or mabye CS, the S/N was adequate. Like the OP, I bought PS version 2.5, and every version since, has been an upgrade.

@ the OP - good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Those brain cells are long gone for me too, though I have a vague feeling that Photoshop CS needed to see the disc of a predecessor.  Either that or I'm just getting hungry. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

I'd grab something to nibble on... nah, I often have a hard time remembering which versions I have owned over the decades, and then some "young whippersnapper" asks "in which version was ____ first introduced?" Yeah, right. Luckily, I have a "cheat sheet" bookmarked, as I once answered that Layers were not introduced until PS version 4 - ANAHHHHH. It was PS version 3, but heck, that was SO-O-O long ago.

For the OP's question, I keep trying to recall what my exact installation drills were. I have ALL of my PS installation discs in a box (same for AI, PageMaker, and several long-gone Adobe programs), so I did have them handy. Still, my only non-upgraded version was 2.5. Everything else was an upgrade. With some, I did have a previous version (always an upgrade from 2.5) installed, and there were some, that asked to see a disc, but all of those were upgrades. With CS, I did upgrade to the full Production Premium suite, but had version 7.0.1 installed, and do not recall anything but a S/N being required. With CS2, I went with two upgrades: CS2 Production Premium and also CS2 Production Studio, with a lot of duplication, but also upgrades to PrPro 1.0 and 1.5, plus Encore and After Effects. About that time, things begin to blur for me. I did not do CS3, or CS4, for either Production Studio, or Production Premium, and then there was CS5, CS5.5 and CS6, all for Production Studio (well, they did change that suite's name), but PS, and AI were included. I cannot recall any disc, but did have previous versions - all upgrades. I really think that I just added S/N's. Maybe some "installation guru historian" can correct me, where I am going wrong.

In the meantime, grab a snack...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am now well fed, and resisting the urge to go fire up a virtual machine just for the purpose of reinstalling all my old versions of Photoshop and seeing which ones need a disc and which others need a serial number.

I did find a good use for a Photoshop 4.0 disc on April 1 last year...  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3589371

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

That is just plain curel.

Being in Video production, I have enough coasters to go around, and do not need to press my early PS installation discs into service. Heck, I still have my 5.25" floppy (when they WERE "floppy") discs from PS 2.5 (also from Aldus PhotoStyler, Freehand and PageMaker). Think that my PS 3.0 went to 3.5" diskettes.

Let us all know when you can install, with only the S/N, as the poor OP might be waiting for that info, and not my "trip down memory lane... "

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 16, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

the poor OP might be waiting for that info

I hope not; I've come to my senses.

I may choose to install all my old versions of Photoshop in succession when I move up to Windows 8 late this year though, as it can be awfully handy to be able to fire up an old version to be able to answer a question definitively.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

IIRC, I installed CS with my Photoshop 6 s/n. (I skipped 7)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points