• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

air sdk 3.3: Android background audio no more?

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got some Android apps that plays rtmp streams, and they were working fine on background using Air 2.6-2.7 for about a year until now.

So today, I made upgrades using Air 3.3, and the backrgound playback is not working anymore, as soon as the screen shuts off, the audio shuts down in about 1 second.

I am using Windows Flash CS6. Anything changed in that department? I tried googling it, but nothing useful came up.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Hello,

We have been working on the fix but were unable to include it in the 3.4 release that happened earlier today. This fix is slated to be included in our next scheduled release for Q4.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, glad I found this thread. Also using CS6 on windows, also using rtmp (rtmpe actually). If I leave the app and go do other things, audio continues to play, but after about 10 seconds or so, it stops until the app has focus again. Is there a new permission or setting we must set/change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2012 Jun 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for reply, and now I am glad to know that I was not doing something wrong to cause this.

you are exactly right, sometimes the audio continues a little while, but eventually stops after some time, and continues to play only after the app gets focus back again. 

and I test my old app with Air 2.7 and the old app never stops and loses the audio playing at any time..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have AIR 2.7 anymore to drop back down to, but even if I did, I'd lose some of the nice things about 3.2+ -- come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more info:

- I have the same apps on iOS too, and using AIR3.3 I made updates of those apps. I can confirm that on iOS everything is working great as it is supposed to do, without any of the same issues like Android / Air3.3 / rtmp stream stopping when the app goes to background mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is madening. It works fine on 2.7 as discussed, but as far as I can tell, ANEs are NOT supported in 2.7, rendering that option useless to me. Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just pushing this up hoping for an answer. Even just a "we're aware of the problem and are working on it" is better than silence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are we the only 2 people experiencing this issue with android air development?

is there any new settings for the android air (sdk3.3) app's background mode audio/network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no - not only 2 people...

It seems to be a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 people or 20, they should at least acknowledge it. Developers are your bread and butter -- act like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunalty Air 3.4beta still has the same Issue...

Please fix it, adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, air 3.4 beta still has the same issue? that's very bad.

are we barking here on wrong tree, wrong place? seems like adobe people are not even looking at this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi everyone.  bugs should be entered in our external bugbase here: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm

would you mind to enter a bug there?  please vote on the issue if you are experiencing the issue.  the more votes, the more traction it receives.  anyways, we entered an internal bug(#3226876) that is under investigation.  if you let us know the external bug number, we can  bug group them so you'll have some insight to the progess.

about he issue:  can you point us to a sample app that reproduces the audio problem?  i'm sure we have media internally that test the functionaly, but it's always best to test with real world examples.  thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mistakenly pasted the incorrect internal bug.  the correct number is #3292642.  thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I created a bug, please vote on it.

Adobe AIR 3.3  -  Bug 3292656

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3292656

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear sender,

I am out of the office from Friday, 20th of August, until Friday, 3rd of July.

Your email will automatically be forwarded to Matthias Wiggermann (matthias@jumero.de) and Jan Würdemann (jan@jumero.de) - they will be pleased to assist you.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Uli Niggemann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voted as well, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for opening the bug.

I have voted for it  as well.

Unfortunately adobe has closed the bug, saying this is expected behavior on ANDROID devices. I am not sure what this means, since background process functionality had been added to air 3.3 for IOS.

Any suggestions on what to do next will be really appreciated, since the music app I'm developing at the moment had lost a major functionality.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I see. This MUST BE A JOKE! The official response from Adobe is:

Notes (2)

• Jing Chen6:45:56 PM PDT Jul 23, 2012Hello,
    After discussion with the developers, we decided that this should be a expected behavior. We want to have consistent behavior across all ICS and pre-ICS devices. The content playback will pause if the app is in background so other application can use the hardware.
    If it impact your business and work, feel free to give it a vote, and comment on how it effects.
    Thank you,
    Jing

• Jing Chen2:49:47 AM PDT Jul 23, 2012Hello,
    Thank you very much for reporting, this issue is tracking internally, and I'll add notes here as soon as I get any updates.
    Thanks,
    Jing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was able to speak to someone on the issue...  the bigger picture was  some devices would lock the audio hardware preventing phone use or the like.  to prevent this from happening, a decision was made to release the hardware when going into the background.

there does seem to be a feasible work around that he pointed out here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/media/Sound.html

This code plays audio even when the app is in background

channel = new SoundChannel();

soundPlay = new Sound();

urlReq=new URLRequest;

urlReq.url="urlOfStream";

soundPlay.load(urlReq);

channel = soundPlay.play();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I assume for those of us using FMS/RTMP there's no solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately, you are correct.  from what i am told, there is no solution when using FMS/RTMP.  only http with soundPlay would be the option to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And sadly Flash CS6 does NOT allow you to add earlier SDKs via the "manage" menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer. However, your solution only points the inconsistency of AIR behavior. If a decision was made to disable background audio in ANDROID, how come one method of playing sound in the background works fine, yet another one doesn't?  In my app for example  I'm using video streamed from YouTube, and the background behavior of the app changes from ANDROID version to a another, and it's also strangely affected by the quality I set to the played video.

It's also weird since the latest AIR version added background music functionality on IOS, yet Adobe didn't inform it's developers of the new decision made regarding ANDROID background behavior.

As a flash developer I am confused, since there is no documentation pointing what to expect from background behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines