Skip navigation
richard350
Currently Being Moderated

IIS7.5 and ColdFusion10(Developer)

Jul 14, 2012 3:33 PM

Tags: #cf10 #iis_7.5

I installed ColdFusion10 Developer on my Win7 desktop with IIS7.5 but when I go to localhost/xxx.cfm a popup dialogue box opens >> Opening .cfm file...You have chosen to open index.cfm which is a cfm file from http://localhost...What should Firefox do with this file? (Open with-browse/FlashGot/Save File)<<<

Why is IIS7.5 not serving .cfm in localhost normally? Grateful for help to fix this (see my post on StackOverflow on this:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11467168/coldfusion10-developer-and -windows7-iis7-5 )

EDIT   I am grateful for help with this please (it is driving me nuts..)! I have no handler mappings for .cfm-how do I manually add these to my IIS7.5 for my ColdFusion10 developer install? I need to find the directory to map to the correct .dll file for .cfm etc? Am I correct?-I cannot find any info on Google about this for CF10 developer edn (there are several links to CF7/8 which have given me a general idea but I need a specific fix....)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to richard350

Do HTM HTML web pages work ok? Run CF10 web server configuration tool. Is IIS configured? HTH, Carl

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to richard350

CF10 web config tool should look like this eg:

Capture.JPG

A similar thread had a solution where by IIS web root \inetpub\wwwroot had something wrong with web.config file. So perhaps the permissions or syntax of that will be interesting to know.

HTH, Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to richard350

OK then perhaps there is some kind of 32 64 bit thing going on. What happens if you tick configure 32 bit webserver, can you press OK after that?

I do not suspect a problem with your web.config file (tho I been known to be wrong sometimes).

HTH again, Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to richard350

Is Win7 and CF10 both 64 bit or do you have a mix of Win7 64 bit and CF10 32 bit? Cheers, Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to richard350

Any updates?  I'm running into the same problem trying to load CF10 to a Win2008 R2 machine.  This is a total fresh CF10 install on a fresh Win/IIS7 install.  Immediately after CF10 is installed I click to run CFAdmin and get this:

CF10-500Error.PNG

I have tried many things: re-installing CF, messing with 32/64 bit versions, etc, wsconfig tool, etc.  No matter what I try I always end up back at 500 error.  WTF is going on.  Been working with CF since 4.5 and never had this kind of issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to richard350

richard350 wrote:

I have no ability to add a webserver & the configuration directory is greyed out/inactive.

[...]

<defaultDocument><files><clear /><add value="Default.asp" /></files></defaultDocument>

Hi richard350,

Regarding inability to add configuration, please ensure all of these IIS features are enabled:

- ASP.NET

- CGI

- ISAPI Extensions

- ISAPI Filters

Regarding that web.config file, it will esssentially clear the Default Document list (this list will be created when the configuration is added) and only permit Default.asp as a Default Document.  Just disable the web.config file by renaming it to "web.config_old".  Then restart IIS.

Regardless of clean CF/Windows install, if the site itself existed within a CF9 install then there can be an issue w/ the web.config file in the site's root.  Going forward, this issue has been fixed.  And CF10 CF sites will run w/o issue in CF11.  Additionally, CF10 and CF11 will even run side-by-side successfully with the same IIS7+ sites defined in each.

Thanks,

-Aaron

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to richard350

Hi richard350,

richard350 wrote:

ColdFusion10 Developer on my Win7 desktop with IIS7.5 [...] My Win7 & CF10 are both 64 bit versions.

Same here.

richard350 wrote:

I have set default app pool to true to enable 32 bit apps.

This is False on mine.

richard350 wrote:

Here is my web-config file:

I don't even have a web.config file. It isn't needed. It can remain renamed/disabled.

richard350 wrote:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/iis-configuration.html

That article no longer applies to ColdFusion as of version 10.

richard350 wrote:

Interestingly (but unhelpfully) I have found if I run cf wsconfig tool along the way it still doesn't work & it then screws up my config/wsconfig/1 folder (ie this folder I manually create & it vanishes/gets deleted after running the tool! Not very helpful as I then have to recreate it & it's contents again-very time consuming!).

This is a known issue, and a future version of the tool _may_ provide a "Preserve connector settings" checkbox.

The first issue to resolve here is the disabled "IIS Web Site" option in wsconfig.exe (Web Server Configuration Tool).  Have you tried reinstalling IIS (basically uncheck the "Internet Information Services" checkbox and after it uninstalls then check the box again and ensure the 4 IIS features required by CF, which I listed in my previous post, are also enabled)?  I'd make a backup copy of C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config before uninstalling IIS, in case you want to restore IIS back to its current settings.

Thanks,
    -Aaron

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to itisdesign

I thought I read somewhere that .Net Extensibility is also required (in addition to the four other Windows features that Aaron mentioned) for the Web Server Configuration Tool to run properly.  Also, if the GUI tool isn't working, have you tried the command line version of the tool?  See pages 16 & 17 of the Installing ColdFusion 10 document for command line syntax.

HTH,

-Carl V. (@cfvonner on Twitter)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to Carl Von Stetten

Hello,

If you still are having problems, i outlined the IIS configuration steps in the 2nd part of my blog post here http://thefusionator.com/index.cfm?blogID=2

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to richard350

Initially Had problems installing CF10 64bit dev on Win7 (64bit)  with IIS7.5 getting the same http 500 error. Having previously ran CF9 ok

The following worked:

1) Uninstall IIS and restart   

2) Rename existing inetpub folder

3) Reinstall IIS  With this Note: If you are configuring IIS 7 or IIS 7.5, before you proceed, ensure that you have the options ISAPI Extensions (Internet Information Service > Web Management Tools > World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features), ASP.NET , and CGI selected in the Windows Features dialog box (Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off).

4) Install CF10 64 bit

5) CF Admin opened after install OK

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to Ged_mc

Mine was a bit different for the resolution. I found that I had the 32-bit CF 10 installed on my x64 Win 7. I read this article stating that I needed to allow IIS7 to run in 32 bit mode. I ran the command line prompt, immediately CF was working!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to richard350

Any resolution to this?  I'm having the same sort of problem.  At first I had Coldufsion 10 developer installed on a Windows 2008 R2 64bit machine and everyting was fine.  Then I installed update 4 and I received a "Service unavailable" message.  It said I need to re run the web configuration, so I did and when I did I had the same problem, the "Ok" is disabled.  I went and reinstalled Coldfusion 10 from scratch and Coldfusion seems to work fine, but no sites show up in the web configuration wizard and the "Ok" is still disabled, so I can't install the patch.

I'm using the default install of 64 bit Coldfusion 10 to IIS 7.5.  It just seems as if the 64 bit version of Coldfusion has a lot of issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to jim1234

I got it working after a re-install.

The web connector wizard seemed to work when used on a per-IIS-site basis.

The "All" option did nothing.

This was on a DEV machine so it took up time but I wasn't too anxious.

I haven't applied the mandatory update to the server yet out of fear of

breaking the connectors etc etc

Come on Adobe - this is affecting a large number of users!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to richard350

@Richard350,

I just replied to your SO post.  Bottom line, make sure you have the correct IIS components installed before running the Web Server Configuration Tool:

• CGI
    • .Net Extensibility
    • ASP.NET
    • ISAPI Extensions
    • ISAPI Filters

For those who can get "per-site" connectors working but not "All" sites, what account are you logged in as when you run the Web Server Configuration Tool?  Does that account have administrative rights on the computer?  The "ALL" websites configuration writes changes into the IIS configuration (which requires Administrator privileges) and each site's web.config file (which doesn't necessarily require Administrator privileges), while the "per-site" connectors write changes ONLY to web.config.

-Carl V.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Carl Von Stetten

Thanks, but all those components are installed.  I have been running the wizard under an administrator account.

The first time I installed Coldfusion 10, everything was fine.  It's when I installed update 4 that all the problems started to happen. 

The funny thing now is that Coldfusion seems to be working fine, I can access my application and the CF Administrator it's just no sites show in the web configuration wizard and the "Ok" is disabled, even after a reinstall of Coldfusion.

I'm wondering if it's a permission thing on some folders, I've had lots of problems with this on 2008 R2, but why it would stop working now, I don't know unless it's another one of those notorious windows patches.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to jim1234

I ran into some wierd issues with Updater 4 too.  I posted on the ColdFusion Server Administration forum with my issues.

-Carl V.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to jim1234

I've just remembered my issue was related to installing CF10 for IIS sites

that had previously been run with CF9

In the end I set up new IIS sites and then ran the connector wizard

site-by-site and finally it worked. Note CF9 was removed before installing

CF10..

I was getting Http Error 500  as well as connector problems. As in

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1036275

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Ged_mc

I have the same issue.  "All" option does nothing, I can choose the sites one by one with the connector tool and they work fine.  The strange thing is that "half" of the site works, but some doesn't.  This happened on two different servers, Windows 2k8 r2 Fresh installations.  CF8 worked fine for me.  Is there any solution to this yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Ged_mc

I posted this bug on the Adobe Bugbase:  https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3364745

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to sdsinc_pmascari

Hello sdsinc_pmascari,

Did you ever resolve this? We are in this boat now, and this thread seems to not lead to any resolve.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to loyd.michael

We haven't resolved it yet, but I tried running wsconfig through the command line and found that java could not create a file in the executeappcommand folder in the temp space of the current user even though that user was administrator.  It gives an access is denied message.  We believe McAfee intruision detection may be blocking this action.  We are trying to gain access to turn off the McAfee intruision detection and then see if it works.

Always be sure to run wsconfig as an administrator and use the "Run As Administrator" option.  If that doesn't work it might be your virus protection/intrusion detection software.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to jim1234

Hi all,

I would like to share some of my experience installing CF10 in my laptop ( Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit) , 4GB RAM ) , IIS Ver 7.5.

I have some hard time.. install, uninstall few times.. hours of browsing looking for solution .. trial n error.

It took me about a week to finally configure it correctly.

IF not mistaken ( IF, i need to stress on this word ), I finally manage to get the configuation done correctly by following the instruction from Adobe website.

Try this link : http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Installing/WSc3ff6d0ea7785 9461172e0811cdec18a15-7ffb.html

Oh, I also actually re-format my laptop once before able to get it right.

==========================================================

After days of frustration, finally I manage to get the browser ( IE ) to open .cfm file from my localhost,

with address http://localhost/foldername/file.cfm

Now, another issue arise. I found out that, the it took quite a while to load the .cfm page.

I might say, my laptop required 30 secs - 1 min to load the .cfm page, even just to display simple page with word 'Test' on the .cfm page.

I still wondering what is the main issue here. I suspect , could be the IIS 7.5 setting.

Anyone who has similar issue (slow loading of .cfm page), I love to hear your opinion / suggestion to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to loyd.michael

Sorry, I just now saw your question.

What we discovered is when using the Web Config tool never choose "All" for the web sites.  Don't know what the issue is but it screws everything up and does not configure anything correctly.  We wiped out everything and started over and then when using the web config tool to connect CF to IIS we went site by site and connected each one individually.  Worked like a charm after that.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to M Azim

guys,

is there any feedback / recommendation on this issue ?

slow loading on IIS 7.5 ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to richard350

I don't know if folks are still having trouble with this, but I'll share my experience and how I got it to work.

Environment: Windows 7 64bit, IIS 7.5, had CF developer 9.02 installed.

After installing, answering to use CF 10 for sites, first problem was that it tried to go to CF admin/config using 127.0.0.1 for localhost. I'm on comcast with wifi, so my localhost is 192.168.0.104.

Changed url to localhost and got error about duplicate entry for hbmxmlHandler. This is in the webroot web.config file, in my case C:\inetpub\wwwroot\

When I looked at web.config, handlers were pointing to CF9 not CF10. Also, in IIS, the virtual directories for CFIDE, Jakarta, etc. were still CF9.

Strangely enough, the CF10 web server configuration tool only had "None" available for sites to configure on localhost!

To eliminate all the trial and error iterations that didn't work... here's what did:

1) Go to the ColdFusion9\runtime\bin folder and execute the wsconfig.exe (right click to run as administrator) to remove the ISS All. So, no CF9 site support on any sites.

2) Run the CF10 web server configuration tool to add ISS All. Do not check 32bit support if you're on 64bit, it won't work.

3) Alter the web.config (for every site) to delete the <handler> and <defaultdocument> sections.

My web.config looked like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<configuration>

<system.webServer>

<handlers>

<add name="JWildCardHandler" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\1\jrun_iis6_wild card.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" />

<add name="hbmxmlHandler" path="*.hbmxml" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

<add name="cfswfHandler" path="*.cfswf" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

<add name="cfrHandler" path="*.cfr" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

<add name="cfcHandler" path="*.cfc" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

<add name="cfmlHandler" path="*.cfml" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

<add name="cfmHandler" path="*.cfm" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

<add name="jwsHandler" path="*.jws" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

<add name="jspHandler" path="*.jsp" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion9\runtime\lib\wsconfig\jrun_iis6.dll" resourceType="Either" responseBufferLimit="0" />

</handlers>

<defaultDocument>

<files>

<add value="index.cfm" />

</files>

</defaultDocument>

<staticContent>

<mimeMap fileExtension=".air" mimeType="application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package zip" />

</staticContent>

</system.webServer>

</configuration>

After editing, it now looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<configuration>

<system.webServer>

<staticContent>

<mimeMap fileExtension=".air" mimeType="application/vnd.adobe.air-application-installer-package zip" />

</staticContent>

</system.webServer>

</configuration>

CF 10 is apparently using the isapi_redirect.dll for everything that used to be in the web.config.

** Also, please note that in CF 9, I had to change any sites not under default to use the defaultAppPool so they could inherit, as well as enabling ISAPI on the default site in handler mappings.

4) Run your localhost CFIDE/Administrator and it should come right up.

There may be a shortcut to all this, but it is what worked for me. Of course, now I've lost CF9.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to richard350

I had this exact same proglem. I recieved this error both when I opened up any page in the browser and when I opened up the Handler Mappings in IIS. Like the original poster, I'm running IIS 7.5 with a recent install of Coldfusion 10.

I was able to fix my issue by doing the following...

1. Open up the ColdFusion 10 Web Configuration tool.

2. Remove all sites.

3. Add new site. Keep the default settings and save.

This is what fixed the issue for me.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points