Skip navigation
thomasNordic
Currently Being Moderated

Addon for Illustrator tracing to get same pixel smoothing as Vector Magic?

Jul 17, 2012 12:21 AM

I work on CS3 and have often the problem for the logos the Companies send me in .jpg to convert for their design as a vector file.

with vector magic it works always good to smooth with one click the curves full of pixels into a pixel free curve with clear boundary.

I had a look into the old discussion on this forum and found few things in the discussion "raster image .gif" but couldnt help me further.

I would like to get an addon that would be a 1 time buying and cheaper as a complete new investment into a whole soft like vector magic.

any hints?

thanks and greetings from north gemany,

Thomas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to thomasNordic

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to thomasNordic

The "Blur" setting in the Live Trace Options will effect how much "smoothing" Live Trace uses.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to thomasNordic

But that might just be your issue.  You might have to increase the min area or min stroke length to get it to work right.  I'm no scientist when it comes to Live Trace but I have found that playing with the parameters in Preview mode with the dialog box still open allows me to get the settings just right for that particular image.  1 or 2 px is just too short.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:01 AM   in reply to markerline

Realize that Vector Trace in Illustrator CS6 is completely rebuilt and yields better results than Live Trace in my experience. CS3 was the first itteration of Live Trace.. or, in other words, the first shot at the feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to thomasNordic

There is the option available if you choose "Stroke" instead of "Fill"

Here is a picture:

adobe_forums__live_trace_cs4.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to thomasNordic

By the way this image has not been traced yet.  As you can see the Preview mode is not checked so it appears very pixelated as I intended it to be to show that if you tweak these settings in this dialog box you can achieve a smooth trace.  This is CS4 by the way.  I can demonstrate CS6 also but I am not that comfortable yet with that version of AI.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 3:18 AM   in reply to markerline

Thomas,

CS3 allows you to save files in many older formats.

Snap_001.jpg

Of course, if you use new features and then back save, artwork may be expanded to maintain appearance. It all depends on exactly what you are creating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to thomasNordic

thomasNordic wrote:

if I get CS6 or CS10, can I then "save as" CS3 files?

nobody knows what will be possible in version CS10 (or even CS7). But in CS6 you can downsave files.

Only this kind of cooperation is not adviseable at all, because a lot of stuff might get converted when downsaving and this doesn't only affect new features, but also older features that have been updated.

Greetings from Hamburg.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to thomasNordic

The consequences are that depending on what exactly is in the file, stuff may get expanded in one way or the other. Some objects might get rasterized, some are just expanded into other vector objects.

It depends. http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-cs6.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points