I just upgraded my Mac Pro with more memory and a new SSD drive. I already use an SSD (120 GB) as my boot drive with applications and LR catalog. I moved the ACR cache to the new SSD drive (480 GB) and set it to 120 GB, and I'm also using that drive for documents. I have my images stored on a 2 TB Western Digital Caviar Black drive. I have 24 GB or RAM, which should be more than enough for LR.
This should be faster than my previous set-up, but since I started using this configuration I'm seeing the "Loading..." icon in the develop module after every change I make (adding a vignette, changing the exposure, etc.). This is very strange. Could it have something to do with the cache rebuilding, since I moved it? Any other possibilities?
"...the Develop module only uses these (Library module) previews for a very short period, then loads its own preview from the Camera Raw cache whilst at the same rendering the raw photo in the background. While not well documented, the availability of this cached preview will reduce the overall loading time for a photo in the Develop module...
"....The following results compare how the various locations for the catalog, previews, cache and photos will effect the photo loading time in the Develop module.."
The quotes come from an excellent article I read recently, which may be useful?
That is helpful, thanks. However, my question was more about the strange performance slow-down after installing an SSD for ACR cache and *more* memory; if anything, those upgrades should have made things faster. But I'm getting the "loading..." icon with every small change I make in the Develop module. This tells me something is wrong, because it didn't happen before at all.
Badly Drawn Boy wrote:
...since I started using this configuration I'm seeing the "Loading..." icon in the develop module after every change I make (adding a vignette, changing the exposure, etc.). This is very strange. Could it have something to do with the cache rebuilding, since I moved it? Any other possibilities?
I dunno, but sounds like a bug (or incompatibility...) to me. Consider putting the configuration back how it was, deleting the ACR cache, and rebuilding 1:1 previews (actually somebody was saying ACR cache entries are being recreated even with standard previews now, but I dunno) and see whether performance returns to normal. Maybe report results on the feedback forum:
I mean, you could also try deleting the acr cache in it's new home and rebuild previews to see if it helps.
Or maybe the new SSD drive is just wonky - did you test it independently?
I'd also consider making sure that new RAM is OK, since that's the other change.
As has been mentioned, you may not get much better performance, but what I read is "it got worse" (loading indicator when there should not be loading...) - which indicates a real problem...
Select all your files by going to Library Module > Catalog Pane and make sure you are in Grid mode [G], Select all [CMD][A] and then unstack any collapsed stacks you might have. Select All again. Now you have all your files selected for sure. Library>Previews>Render 1:1 Previews.
Go on vacation. When you come back, they will be rendered. (This can take some time depending upon how large your catalog is)
Rikk Flohr wrote:
The "build all" will build all that are in the active window but not selected-not the entire catalog.
I stand corrected. (and I think this should be made clearer in the UI) - to me, "all" means "all". If "all" means "part", the UI should say which part...).
Europe, Middle East and Africa