Skip navigation
Chuck Warner
Currently Being Moderated

plug-ins don't work in PSCS6

Jul 17, 2012 11:29 AM

I just installed the trial version of PSCS6 using win xp pro sp3 32 bit. Plug-ins I added  to the plug-in folder don't show up in the filter menu after re-start. Why?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Chuck Warner

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Chuck Warner

Many plug-ins depend on other files (for example, DLLs), often put by the plug-in's installer in the Photoshop installation folder itself.  Also, some plug-ins do things they really shouldn't to try to integrate themselves more fully into Photoshop, and those things may have worked with an earlier version of Photoshop where now they do not.

Could you be more specific about what plug-in(s) you're trying to use, where you got it/them, and where you're putting it/them?  Someone may have already identified the files involved and found a way to get the plug-in to work in Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Chuck Warner

Along with the information that Noel gave, there is often much more to installing a plug-in, than just the .8BF (or similar) files. Many require a full installation, for them to work. Along with other necessary files, very often Registry entries must be made to.

Do you have the installation discs, or downloaded files for these plug-ins (the ones that you are going to let Noel know more about)?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Chuck Warner

And what plug-ins would those be, exactly?

It should be clear to you that you're not providing enough information for people to give you meaningful answers.

I mean, we could guess that maybe you copied 64 bit plug-ins into your 32 bit Photoshop plug-ins folder, but we can't know.  Can you describe exactly what folder you got them from?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

To parrot what Noel has said, especially when it comes to plug-ins, there are literally dozens of variables, and most of those variables can hold the answer to why your plug-ins are not showing.

I realize that it might be a bit daunting, and given the frustration that I would feel, seemingly useless, it can "tell the tale," regarding why the plug-ins do not show. The more detail that you can provide, the easier it will be for others to help solve the issue. It is not that we wish to be mean, or ask for unnecessary, convoluted info, but we're only trying to help.

Good luck, and please let us know the details of the plug-ins.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 5:50 PM   in reply to Chuck Warner

Not every plug-in is a filter and is expected to show up in the Filters menu, hence our questions about which ones.

I'm not familiar with Topaz remask 3, but that doesn't sound like a filter plug-in either.

It's also possible you may have dragged the plug-ins from the 64 bit folder inadvertently.  Or possibly you dropped them into a folder that does not represent the current, active Photoshop installation.  Clearly something's amiss, and the greatest possibility is that you made a mistake in copying the files.

Implied in all this is that plug-ins actually do work in Photoshop CS6.  All the ones I've put in my plug-ins folder and subfolders work.

Let's try a different approach...  In Photoshop, choose Help - System Info.  Copy that data and post it here.  The plug-ins that Photoshop has recognized will show up in that listing, as well as some other info that could be helpful to this conversation.  You may want to delete the hash of your seral number, though it can't be used by anyone.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Chuck Warner

From the sound of it, you're expecting all plug-ins to be filter plug-ins and thus appear in the Filters menu.

• Alias PIX seems to be a file format plug-in.  That means it will add the ability to read/write Alias .pix format files in the File - Open and File - Save dialogs.
    • Electricimage - same deal as above.
    • I didn't run down the exact details of Vertus Fluid Mask, but it doesn't look like a simple filter plug-in that would appear in the Filters menu.
    • HSB/HSL - Supposed to appear in Filter - Other subcategory.  Is that where you looked?
    • Lighting Effects Classic - Look in the Filter - Render - Lighting Effects Classic menu.

I didn't look up the others, but I see the pattern.  They're all there, you're just not looking in the right places.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:01 PM   in reply to Chuck Warner

I don't know about fluid mask, but topaz has updated the installers to work with photoshop cs6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Well, I may well be totally out of line chiming in here, being primarily a Mac user, but I am a bit confused by the OP.  I thought that advanced GPU capabilities were not supported in Photoshop CS6 running under Windows XP. 

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to station_two

The gpu functions that cs5 had are supported on xp, just not the new more intensive gpu functions like lighting effects, 3d and a few others.

I know it's confusing because the adobe documentation is not as clear as it should be.

The classic lightening effects filter the op has is the same as the old lightening effects filter in prior versions of photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Thank you, R_Kelly.

R_Kelly wrote:

…because the adobe documentation is not as clear as it should be.

That is the biggest, kindest understatement I've ever read on the subject. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to station_two

So the question is, then, why not get an updated CS6-compatible Fluid Mask provided by the manufacturer instead of copying it.  I did mention that using an installer is important in post #2....  Perhaps I should have been more explicit to ask: 

Are there no CS6-compatible versions provided by the manufacturer?

Station_two, are you implying Photoshop needs advanced GPU capabilities to run something that you see above?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Not really, Noel. I was simply expressing my confusion.  I don't see why anyone would bother to install CS6 in a system that doesn't fully support it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to station_two

People have their reasons for doing what they do, but XP is SOOO long in the tooth right now that it is hard to justify continuing to run it in general, let alone to be the basis for running state-of-the-art graphics software.  It was Good Stuff once, now it's simply outdated.

Perhaps it will all be solved soon...  Microsoft is offering an inexpensive upgrade to Windows 8, even to XP users, and Windows 8 can be as efficient as XP or more under some conditions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I realize people have their reasons.  I am no stranger to using some pretty old software and/or hardware myself for specific purposes. I am all for that when there are benefits to reap.

On the other hand, it wouldn't cross my mind to post publicly on a forum complaining about the advanced features of state-of-the-art software not playing nice with my old software/hardware. 

That's where I was coming from. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points