Skip navigation
Kibbermand
Currently Being Moderated

Can only open CS 6 once, then I have to reboot

Jul 14, 2012 7:45 PM

New strong and fast pc (240 GB SSD, 32 GB RAM etc) and W7 Pro and CS6:

Can only open CS 6 one time. Next time I can not - have to reboot before I can again.( Can open Bridge everytime I want.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 14, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Are you getting a error message?

Is the 240 gb your only drive?  May be a little light if you do large images.

CS6 reqires a good video card and up to date driver to work well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Might take a look at the OS Event Log to see if there are any errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:33 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Easy was is to use Help file and type in Event Log.  It will give you a link to get there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Use the OS Help file, type in Event Log, click on it and it will take you there.

On left are categories so click on them and look for warnings and errors.

Quitting for night.  Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Kibbermand

What is with this path thing?  Click on Start and then Click on Help.  Type in Event Log.  Click on Start Event Log.  Probably other ways to do it but this works for me.

You have set both computer up incorrectly I presume.   In Performance you need at least 2 gigs of RAM left for the OS.  Where do you have the scratch files set?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

I haven't a clue what your problem is, but it is strange how a "pro PC supporter" managed to mess up both a new laptop and a new desktop PC. Blaming problems with both computers on Microsoft updates sounds like an excuse to me.  I assume that most of the Windows users here keep their PCs updated (me included), but we're not experiencing your problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Kibbermand wrote:

So everything worked if you installed before the update, and then update, so perhaps very few have experienced it -

I don't understand the logic of that  - why should few have experienced it?  Loads of people update before and after installing CS6 - it depends on when the Windows update is made available.

it is a totally and huge new installation with 9 plug ins.

Did you mention these 9 plug-ins before?  A plug-in could be causing your current problem.  What plug-ins are they?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Kibbermand wrote:

5 plug ins from NIK - 3 plug ins from Hemi software - and 1 plug in from Topaz (did run fine on the 2  old pc.s (XP Pro and CS 3 extended). I am about for the time being to uninstall the plug ins - takes one by one, rebote and check

let us know the results of your troubleshooting

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

I don't have any NIK software installiert, and I was hoping that someone who did would reply.  Since you don't have an uninstaller, I would simply reverse the instructions by moving the unzipped sub folder named Silver Efex Pro out of the .../Plugins/Nik Software folder. 

The best way to troubleshoot (I think you are doing this anyway) is to remove ALL the plugins and see if that solves the problem.  Once your Photoshop is working normally with no plugins, add them back one by one, testing each time, until the problem reappears.  Then you have an idea of what plugin is the culprit.  It might be a certain combinations of plugins that are getting in each other's way, so that is something to test as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Kibbermand

Try looking for a NIK folder here:

C:\program files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 bit)\Plug-Ins\

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Kibbermand

In my opinion, any security suite that gets in the way of your doing normal operations on your computer isn't good technology.  There are those that don't (Avast! for example).

People often look for "who to blame" with integration issues, but understand that we all take on the responsibility to integrate things into our own computers and make it all work.  Thus, if you want it to all work together, it's you who has to pay in learning, time, money, effort, whatever.  That's the price we pay for getting to use mass-produced software that cost millions of dollars to develop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Kibbermand wrote:

maybe I cancel it and try the free AVG? - or any other suggestions ??

I already suggested the one I use (Avast!), and it has a free antivirus version.  Personally I think it's the best package.

Let me summarize why I said what I did.  I wasn't trying to be snarky, and I'm not being critical of you - I'm just a realist.

• You bought a computer from ??? (not Microsoft or Adobe or any software company).  Chances are you minimized the cost.
    • The video card inside the computer is likely made by someone different than the computer manufacturer.
    • You bought an OS from Microsoft.
    • You configured your OS in your own ways and installed other software.
    • You bought a graphics application from Adobe.
    • You bought / downloaded 3rd party plug-ins from different companies.

Now all these things have to work together.

When they don't work together acceptably well, as they do for many people, do you think it's the fault of any one of the suppliers?

Arguably no one on the planet has the exact combination of things you do, configured as you do.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 17, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

You installed one plug-in - which is apparently the one that's been causing you all the problems - and by seeing that failure you leap to the conclusion that you cannot run any plug-ins?  I don't follow that logic.  I run plug-ins just fine in Photoshop CS6, and I know a lot of others do too.

What is CEP?  Is it specifically advertised compatible with Photoshop CS6?

Just because a plug-in could run with a different version of Photoshop on a different operating system doesn't mean they've done everything right for Photoshop CS6 on Windows 7.

I know you'd like to have Adobe's help here but you really do need to follow up with the creator of the plug-in.  The problem seems clearly to be in that software.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

What is CEP?  Is it specifically advertised compatible with Photoshop CS6?

I think CEP is supposed to be Nik's Color Efex Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to Kibbermand

Kibbermand wrote:

Then I started to install the plug ins, but the very first - CEP .4.0 - the same thing happened !!!!

So it can not run with plug ins I must say, and the CEP 4.0 is made after W7 (but could run on XP, but very slow)

As Noel pointed out, just because one plugin caused the problem, it doesn't mean that all plugins won't work. What happens if you uninstall CEP (so that your PS is working normally again) and install some other filter (e.g. the Topaz one)?

Do you have the same problem on both your new laptop and on your desktop PC?  If you do, that is too much to be a coincidence, and I would deduce that there is something wrong with the way your PC support guy set up both systems. Maybe it is the security software, I don't know.

In any case, you shouldn't be having any problems with a NIK plugin.  They are very popular, so thousands of people would be complaining if there was a problem with them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 12:34 AM   in reply to Kibbermand

I am glad that this story has a happy end.  It's too bad that you had to spend so much time and effort on troubleshooting the problem, but sometimes it can't be avoided.  Let us know if you learn anything else (e.g. about the Ivy Bridge drivers).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points