Skip navigation
pgraber1
Currently Being Moderated

Missing catalogs and editing history on transfer from pc to mac

Jul 17, 2012 11:15 AM

I know there was a recent issue on this, but I have the same problem but it seems not the same solution. I've transferred from PC to Mac, installed LR4, copied across my catalogue and preview files. I've imported my images (though should I have needed to do this if the catalog and preview were already there?) from the NAS where they live. The images are there, my keywords are there, but not the editing history and collections, which I really need. Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to pgraber1

You should not have needed to re-import the pictures. That is not what you would want to do anyway; since that would fail to reflect all the work done since you originally imported them, but would instead show them set right back to zero once more.

The image thumbnails should have appeared with all their associated information still intact, except "offline": you can in this state manipulate them according to collections, metadata and the Library module but not do anything to them within Develop, or output using Export or Print etc. This is 100% normal and expected assuming the full address path of the images as seen on the NAS from the Mac, is not identical to the full address as seen from the PC formerly - drive letter / volume or share name included.

Lightroom will get the idea from the Catalog you have transferred, that an image file ought to exist on disk relating to each image seen; also that folders ought to exist corresponding to all the folders it previously saw - but for the moment, these cannot be found going by their prior addresses. Those addresses have merely become invalid within the new situation.

Going to the highest-level "missing" folder in the folders panel (with a ? icon on it), you can right-click and re-browse to fully "wake up" that folder - this change will ripple through to everything contained inside it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to pgraber1

1st: trash the catalog that you re-imported images into.

I'm gonna leave it at that for now - you need to find a way to make the catalog happy (e.g. as per richardplondon's reply) without re-importing - that's the only way you'll maintain edit history, collections, ...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

All you need to do is double click the Catalog you moved from your PC and relink the folders as Richard has stated. And do as Rob said, delete the extra Catalog you have created.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to pgraber1

I don't know the exact specifics of how Macs talk to a NAS. Truth to tell, I don't even know the vaguest outlines of that.

But the first thing I personally would look at, is the "share" name and the path under which the images appear to the MAC. Are there any unusual characters in it or in the folder names, are the permissions sufficient to allow you to write data to the same location, that kind of thing.

The first thing I would try to do, is to get the Catalog and the image files into a situation whereby LR can "see" them from your Mac within a mapped volume X: (or whatever) - instead of a UNC path starting with a \\ - where the true location of X: is in fact a network location; but the OS more or less conceals that fact from the application.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to pgraber1

"PS Dont't quite understand Geoff's reference to double clicking the catalog. I think you can only click within folders on the left pane in Library module?"

Geoff was saying that after moving your catalogue from the old machine to the new, if you double-click on it in Finder, Lightroom will open that catalogue.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to pgraber1

pgraber1 wrote:

'file is missing' on every image. So it should be simple - do as Richard says, and hit the ?, and ask it to re-find. I then point it at the folder on my NAS - and nothing happens. The NAS hasn't changed, the folder structure is the same as before, but for some resaon LR won't link the folders, and I still have nothing but ?s. Any more ideas would be gratefully received, anyone - this is driving me nuts!

Maybe you need a Mac expert. Anybody?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 1:59 AM   in reply to pgraber1

pgraber1 wrote:

A clue, maybe:- If I use the Mac Finder function (basically the same as Windows Explorer), I have no trouble navigating my way through the NAS folders and files. But when I go to the ? and re-find folders function, it only allows me to choose the top level folder within the NAS, which is called 'photo'. This shouldn't matter...

Can you "find" the drive, instead of folder(s)?

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:21 AM   in reply to pgraber1

Sorry pgraber1, I don't think I'm going to be much help. I think you need that Mac expert...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points