Skip navigation
CCAC_Teacher
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to save Fireworks template. Save as Template permission error.

Jul 17, 2012 7:25 PM

Tags: #fireworks_templates #template_error

I'm running Windows 7 64bit as an administrator.  I opened a new canvas in Fireworks and set it to 728x90 pixels to create a standard horizontal leaderboard banner.  Then I tried to save it as a template so I wouldn't have to remember the dimensions.  I chose File > Save As Template and a save dialogue box opened so I could select a location to save.  I went to the Windows 7_OS (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Adobe Fireworks CS5 > Configuration > Templates and tried to save my file, but I got the following error: You don't have permission to save in this location.  Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

Well I'm the administrator and I'm not sure how you create templates you can use in Fireworks.  Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to CCAC_Teacher

The following link offers a possible explanation and a workaround:

The problem is that Windows Vista and Windows 7 will not allow you to write to system folders. It means that will not be able to save to the Templates folder.

A workaround has been identified. Right-click on the "Configuration" folder in the Fireworks installation directory and modify the security settings so that "Users" have write and modify privileges. This allows Fireworks and the Extension Manager to write and manages files in this folder.

http://www.fireworkszone.com/DocumentTemplates_586.html

Interestingly, the Templates folder was moved in Fireworks CS6 from the Application folder to the user library Application Support folder (on a Mac, that is), perhaps to avoid this type of issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to groove25

A small comfort, perhaps, but this issue has been addressed in CS6.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points