Skip navigation
BsmithMTP
Currently Being Moderated

Can't find boxes with text inset that were converted from Quark

Jul 17, 2012 1:16 PM

Tags: #indesign_cs5.5

Hello all.  This is kind of a weird one.  I have many documents that have been converted from various versions of Quark into Indesign CS5.5.  I need to find all text boxes that have a text inset of 0.139 in, which seems to be the default for text boxes that have been converted from Quark that have text inset.  I go to find/replace, choose object, and set my search criteria for inset spacing to 0.139 in, leaving all other criteria as is. It comes back and says no matches found.  If I create a new document and test it, it works fine.  Is there something I am missing?  Is this a "bug" due to a converted Quark document? I have tried unchecking all object attributes except inset spacing to no avail.

Doing this by hand is VERY time consuming as one would imagine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Indesign CS5.5, Version 7.5

Mac OSX 10.6.8

Bryan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to BsmithMTP

The text inset may be an override to the Basic Text Frame Object Style. You might take this to the InDesign Scripting forum and see if someone could write a script to find these frames (with inset) and Clear the Override to the Object Style. If someone can, please come back to this post and let us know, preferably with a link to the post in the Scripting forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to BsmithMTP

I think your issue is with your unit conversion. 0.0139 inches does not equal one PostScript point (it equals 1.0008 PostScript points). You should try the same method you have been using, but instead try inputting "1 point" as your search query.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to BsmithMTP

No doubt the program IS getting a 1 pt inset, but your rulers are set to inches, so ID is showing you the decimal equivalent in inces, rounded to four places. Try switching the ruler units to points and I predict you'll see the 1 pt you expect.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points