Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Replace with AE Comp not complete

Jul 17, 2012 6:54 PM

i had a clip that i sent to AE > roto brushed to replace the BG > Added a jpeg to become the BG > saved and closed.

 

Back in PPro I am only getting the jpeg BG and not the rotoscoped clip which would complete the composite.

 

when i load the AE comp to the source monitor its all there but not in the SEQ.

 

What am i missing. This is a 1st.

 

rotono.png

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

    Your timeline is all red and unrendered.... Obviously PPro does not use the cached data in the AE project but requires to render its own internal matte. So let it render and everything should work as expected.

     

    Mylenium

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Preditor Corbett

    I find it interesting that people try to do compositing in an editing application instead of a compositing application.  Render your shot using AE, import it into Premiere and your problems go away.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

    Dave, I don't think that reply is very helpful. Yes, your workaround should solve his problem, but only by avoiding the issue. The OT is trying to use Dynamic Link, and this should be working. Let's concentrate on troubleshooting that.

     

    Corbett, the interesting thing I see in your screenshots is that the thumbnail on the timeline for your AE comp shows the correct image. And your Source monitor shows the correct image. Only what's getting into the Program monitor seems off. (And although rendering the timeline is a good idea and was a good troubleshooting suggestion by Mylenium, it shouldn't strictly be necessary to get the updated image from AE. That should happen automatically and appears to be working at least partially.)

     

    My initial thought is to make sure to scrub all the way through the clip in both the Source monitor and in the sequence. Check to make sure that the frames you composited aren't limited to a particular range in the comp. My reasoning here is that what you created in AE may be limited to certain frames, and you're not seeing anything incorrect, you just need to trim the clip in Premiere Pro or fix up the comp in AE.

     

    Otherwise, this is a bit of a mystery. It's possible that somewhere along the line Premiere Pro got the wrong image cached and it needs to be flushed out. Here's a few suggestions, which are mostly guesses on my part because I'm an AE expert and not so much in Premiere (you might want to cross-post on the Premiere Pro forum).

     

    Try:

    1. Quitting and relaunching Premiere Pro. Possible that just flushing the active memory will be sufficient.
    2. Change the Preview and Pause resolutions in Premiere Pro. Downsample to something like 1/8, play through the clip, then put it back up to what you want it to be.
    3. Remove the comp from the timeline. Add it back again.
    4. Remove the comp from the project. Add it back again.

     

    Let us know if any of that helps, or if you get better suggestions from the Premiere Pro forum.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

    Tim Kurkoski wrote:

     

    Yes, your workaround should solve his problem, but only by avoiding the issue. The OT is trying to use Dynamic Link, and this should be working. Let's concentrate on troubleshooting that.

     

    ...which is my point.  Dynamic link isn't exactly the most bulletproof application ever devised. 

     

    The fact that Dynamic Link  works AT ALL is a testament to the fine efforts of Adobe software engineers. Personally, I don't expect it to work miracles.  I'll stick to more old-fashioned and reliable techniques, thanks.

     

    The reason: I don't know when -- or even if -- sufficient common ground will be found between applications originally coded by different software developers with very different notions about handling data.  It could take a long time to get to Bulletproof, if you can even get there from here.

     

    If I wasn't still advising people to never use mp3 audio when rendering out files that need audio tracks, I guess I'd have more confidence in Dynamic Link's future.  But I've been advising against mp3's since AE version 3.1... and that's just compressed audio.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points