Skip navigation
jsangalanfp
Currently Being Moderated

Best Workflow for HD content onto a DVD

Jul 18, 2012 8:03 AM

Hello to you all out there! Here's what I'd like to do...I want to be able to burn HD footage onto a DVD, but still watch it as HD footage. I know that DVD resolution is MUCH lower, and am looking for a workaround for that. So what I need help with is:

1. What settings am I looking for as far as my export from Premiere CS5.5?

2. What settings in Encore?

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to jsangalanfp

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to jsangalanfp

Just export to BD H264 (select a preset) in Premiere and import this into Encore.

Make a BD iso and burn the iso with 3rd party software (like Nero) to dvd.

A SL DVD will hold about 20 minutes of HD footage. You do need a BD player to play this dvd. Won't play on a regular dvd player

There are BD players that will give issues with DVD's with HD content.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to jsangalanfp

Not possible... a normal DVD player will not read a HiDef disc, even if you follow the links in my 1st reply to write HiDef files to a DVD

To play a HiDef disc, you simply must have a BluRay player

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to jsangalanfp

Unfortunately, the DVD-specs. do not allow for HD material. As John T. pointed out, one will need a BD player to play the HD material on the DVD. All you have done is used a less expensive disc to basically produce a shorter Duration of BD - just on different media.

Now, many recent DVD players, and a lot of BD players can do an amazing job of up-rezzing the SD DVD material, for display on an HD TV - Not BD quality, but better, than that DVD would have appeared on a non-up-rezzing player.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Fortunately BD disks are not that expensive any more. Philips 10 disks are for $10, Titan BD 10 disks are under 10. Blu ray burners are under 100 dollars on newegg.

So my point is, if the stuff is affordable,  why to go thru hoops and humps and complexity to create BD disks, if it could be done just the way it is meant to be done? Unless you have a lifetime supply of DVDs, or hard core DVD fan.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points