Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Preferences Reset Unwanted

Jul 18, 2012 8:49 AM

In CS5 and continuing with CS6 occasionally, say 4-8 weeks,  when I boot up I find all my preferences have been reset.  Scratch drive is now C and the others checked are unchecked.  Background gray has changed, tab view back.  Essencially back to default settings.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there one file I can save that will record all my preferences so I could copy them over when it happens again?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I’m pretty sure I’ve had this happen but only very seldom (Mac OS 10.6.8) and noted nothing noticably recreateable about it; for the cases when I have to trash prefs I have set up a Script that resets many settings to what I want them to be – not all tools’ settings in the Options Bar are easily set thusly though unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Not once for me, I'm happy to say.

You can copy the entire tree of files you find at the following location to effect a preferences restoral.

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings

Scout around in that folder structure, you may be able to discern subsets of files you want to restore individually.

Also, if you do regular Windows backups, you may be able to use the Previous Versions feature to get back the last backed-up copy of particular files, for example:

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Adobe Photoshop X64 CS6 Prefs.psp

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

I have never experienced this resetting of Prefs, going back to the first PC version of the program.

Something is definitely up. Have you had any wonky I/O behavior, such as file corruption on a HDD?

Matter of fact, I have had to reset my Prefs only once in almost 20 years, and that was when Set Point (Logitec) driver decided to update, while I was Saving a large HDR pano. [Thought that ALL updaters were OFF, but I had missed one - never again!]

I'd run a CheckDisk on all of my drives, and especially on C:\.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I have had this happen twice with X64 CS6 no pattern, just two random events - just came out of nowhere and is a pain when it happens. Have run all available diags on my system which did not show any issues

Has never happened with CS3 or CS5

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points