Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS5 Move tool works backwards

Oct 27, 2010 6:18 PM

I use the Selection/Move tool a lot in Illustrator, but this never happened in CS3 or CS4: If I select a mark or a shape to move a specific amount, click on the Selection arrow to specify the distance, using a minus sign if I want the object to move down-screen, when I click on OK, the object moves up-screen. Is this the new, improved, Illustrator? I mean, all right, I can get used to changes in conventions, but isn't this sort of an unlikely change? Aren't there other improvements to be made in the app? Is it me, or is it Illustrator?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 28, 2010 3:24 AM   in reply to Birck

Actually, this is one of those features that has been requested by real users for years and years and years, to make Illustrator's measurements be y increasing down instead of y increasing up, for consistency with Photoshop, In Design, and word processing programs.

We just finally got around to honoring that very long standing request.

I personally would have preferred an option for Y-up versus Y-down on the Document Setup dialog. Coming from a math background, Y-down is somewhat counter-intuitive to me. But Adobe survived the Illustrator user base and found that the fraction of users who would sometimes want to use Y-up was small enough to not warrant the additional engineering effort and code complexity to support both directions. The preference for positive Y-down was overwhelming.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to Teri_P

For a technical/engineering user this is totally counter-intuitive.  I understand that this change was made to accommodate other kinds of users, but it's one of those little details that can ruin an interface.  As I'm thinking about this a little more, I can't think of any instance in the real world where an increase in the vertical (Y) dimension means you go down.  Regardless of what Photoshop or In Design does, there really needs to be a way to make the Y-axis work the way it's supposed to.  Time will tell whether the current implementation will work for me, but something tells me that I'm going to keep hitting the wall every time I use the move command. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to Birck

I like the change. It is consistent with page layout and design where the 0 reference point has always been top left. The eyes are educated to read text, graphic design, and visual information starting from top left.

I understand the confusion for those with more scientific/math background, I'm also a 3D software user and I find it helpful to think about the difference in terms of 2D for design vs 3D axes in real world.

It is just a matter of getting used. This is a piece of cake comparing to the challenge for those who have to get used to inches and Fahrenheit when they come from a country that uses centimeters and Celsius, not to mentioned left/right traffic.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 12:09 PM   in reply to Teri_P

I like the fact that Adobe survived the Illustrator user base.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to emil emil

Do you suppose that Adobe could get my country to give up inches and Fahrenheit? How's that for a feature request?

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2010 10:55 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

Yeah, I saw that typo after I posted, and couldn't find a way to edit my post.

But it was amusing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2010 3:25 AM   in reply to Birck

Birch, earache,

This has been up before quite a few times, the latest being: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3217462

But, as mentioned in post #2 in that thread, there is hope:

To change the ruler origin in CS5 to be the same as in CS4 and earlier, you may:

1)  Find and open the AIPrefs (Win speak) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs (Mac  speak) file; it is a (hidden) file in the (hidden) folder Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings

2): Find and change the following two bits of code:

/isRulerOriginTopLeft 1 >>> /isRulerOriginTopLeft 0 (change 1 to 0)

/isRulerIn4thQuad 1 >>> /isRulerIn4thQuad 0 (change 1 to 0)

This is a global change.

Teri, I believe the team may have underestimated the number of users satisfied with and preferring the old way. I hope your making it optional will be reconsidered in connexion with the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to Teri_P

It should be an option for us (which I believe to be the overwhelming majority) used to moving things vertically the old way. Now with CS5 to move something up we have to type in a — (negative) in the move command box? Doesn't make sense. Up=positve. Down=Negative. I don't see the logic the other way. Why change something that millions of users (even those requesting the change) are used to? To me, this is a major, unwarranted change. At least make it an option!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Moviefan62

Ed,

We had quite a few threads about it when it happened, when CS5 came out (or down). Here is one of them:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3682626#3682626

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Thanks---I found it and made the changes. But when I closed out, it's prompting me to save it as a new file (won't save over existing). Do I just save it as a normal Illustrator file? EPS? Or....? The exisiting file has a PREFS icon on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Moviefan62

Ed,

As mentioned by myself and Michael in the other thread, did you close Illy first?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

No--my bad. I will have to type the 1's back in the Prefs file, launch Illy, quit Illy, change to 0's, then relaunch. Right?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to Moviefan62

Ed,

Just closing Illy, opening the preference file, changing those two ones to zeros, and saving the preference file, should do it.

After that Illy should catch up, literally, upon opening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob, thanks for all your help and patience. I had another question and I doubt it's been asked before. If it has, I apologize since I didn't know how to even begin to search for what happened to me.

I work as a graphic designer/production artist and have been using CS4 up until now. I tried re-installing CS4 after I received my new computer (after my old imac died) but for some reason crashes at launch so I'm forced to use CS5. Probably because of Lion. But that's another post.

Anyway, I had a pdf document from a customer that had some art in a particular panel. I opened it through CS5 to work on it and the art, with no explanation, moved to another panel! And some address line copy was missing! The strangest thing I've ever seen. Just copy--no placed images or anything. I opened the same pdf in CS4 and it was in the correct panel and the address line was there. Unbelievable.

Also, when we first installed CS5, a similar thing happened. I opened a file in CS5, and it actually change a number in the NET WT. line! These are two scary instances that makes me feel oh so uncomfortable using CS5. Ever hear of such things?

Thanks
    Ed

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Moviefan62

Thank you for your kind words, Ed,

It is possible that something goes seriously wrong in connexion with installation. For CS5, it may be a preference corruption.

I have no clue about CS4/Lion (lack of) compatibility, but it may be worth trying to uninstall both CS4 and CS5, run the Cleaner Tool for both, and reinstall both (using the Cleaner Tool will also ensure a fresh set of preferences).

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

By now I am sure you can (re)correct the Y axis direction with more than one eye closed.

If you are still stuck with the other issues, I believe you should start two new threads, one about CS4/Lion (lack of) compatibility, and one about the CS5 strangenesses.

Hopefully, someone that have (been) upgraded more recently than I will be able to help you in those threads.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

OK great--thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Dear Jacob,

I've been searching through the threads to find a solution for the similar problem in CS6, I used your method when I upgraded to CS5 and it worked like a charm, I did the same today when I upgraded to CS6 and it's not doing the same trick, is there something more I should amend in the pref file code? or is there another solution?! I tried adapting to the change but it's very hard to change a habit of 9 years!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points