Skip navigation
koobooki
Currently Being Moderated

Pathfinder Problems

Jul 18, 2012 12:55 PM

Tags: #distortion #pathfinder #ideas

Illustrator CS5 v15.1.0 (Mac)

Ideas v1.2

I've created artwork in Adobe Ideas and now attempting to transfer this work to Illustrator, specifically hoping to collect/combine large areas of paths(?). I'm not sure what effect this may have but the paths have various stroke thickness and some appear to be "open" from using the eraser tool(in Ideas).

In the attached image, the left side is a segment of the untouched original. The right side is the result after using the Pathfinder Add/Unite command. I have selected everything so that the strokes are somewhat visible and circled the more obvious areas of distortion in red.

Does anyone know what the source of this distortion is?

Additional Notes:

Another similar thread suggests unchecking "Align to Pixel Grid" within the Transform window. It was unchecked before applying Pathfinder Add, however the box shows a dash after the operation. Not sure what this means, but my guess is a mix of conditions.

Also, "Scale Strokes & Effects" was checked in the Preferences resulting in only a slight change. Some areas improved, while other areas became worse.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PathfinderProblems.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to koobooki

You also have to uncheck "align to pixel grid" for new objects (which is in the pathfinder panel's menu)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to koobooki

I mean in its menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

If that does not work try this select your imported art and go to Object>Path>Outline Stroke then apply the pathfinder filter Add/Unite

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to koobooki

Show us a screen shot of he art seleced along with the layers panel with the layer containing this art expanded and include the appearance panel as well.

Or perhaps you can post the ai file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to koobooki

Sorry - it's the transform panel's menu.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points