• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Querying a CFFILE read

Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CMS logs application errors, and I used to use a <cfhttp> to create a queryable recordset that I would then build an HTML table out of.

Yesterday, our "security" department disabled <cfhttp>, so now I am stuck with only <cffile action="read">.  I still want to read the contents of the log file and display them in an HTML table.

Any advice?

P.S. I don't put the errors into the database because we're still stuck using MS Access for our website's database, so I need to keep database hits to a minimum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first, I'd be saying "OI: we're actually using <cfhttp> in our code, you muppets", to the "security" department.  And find out from them what the rationale is for disabling it.  Even if they do have grounds for disabling it, this should be done after you have refactored your code.  Not beforehand.

That said, if they files are in your local system - which I infer they are given you can <cffile> them - I am kinda puzzled why you were using <cfhttp> in the first place:it's far better to use the local filesystem than your web server to fetch file data for you.  Plus... it means your logs are web-browseable, which is something the security peeps really ought to be concerned about.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is on an internal, restricted server that only people within the building have access to.  None of it is live.

The reason <cfhttp> is disabled is because the "security" people changed the testing server so that you need to enter a username/password combo to view any pages (sort of like password protected directories in Apache).  Since our instance of CF is running as a service (which is yet another discussion), <cfhttp> is denied access.  So is our batch HTML validator.  So is our link checker.

So that's the skinny.

The reason I was using <cfhttp> to grab the file contents is because it made it really easy to dump that into an HTML table.  I'm just not totally sure how to dump a <cffile> read into that same HTML table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I sort of have things working using <cffile>, <cfloop>, and listgetat().  A few bugs (like listgetat(list,5,"|") reads the beginning item of the next like) but I'm working on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardiing:

I am kinda puzzled why you were using <cfhttp> in the first place

Using cfhttp with a name attribute gives you a query object.  Depending on what you intend to do next, it might be simpler to do so with a query object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if I do it, there's probably a better way (or three).

<cfhttp> has a columns attribute that makes it easy to convery a file read into a query.  That's really the only reason I was using it.  It made it easy to limit the number of columns I was displaying in the HTML table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go ahead. Do your cffile-read. Output the result. Bring it to the forum, and I am sure you will get tips on how to display it using HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, here's a sample from my cffile read:

Batch contact update for livability|jsmith|{ts '2011-11-07 12:14:34'} Batch contact update for livability|jsmith|{ts '2011-11-07 12:15:14'} Batch title change: /creating_livable_communities/ to 1|jsmith|{ts '2011-11-07 12:16:27'} Edited page details for: Creating Livable Communities (ID: 400834)|jsmith|{ts '2011-11-07 12:17:58'} Edited page details for: Creating Livable Communities (ID: 400841)|jsmith|{ts '2011-11-07 12:18:15'} Edited page details for: Creating Livable Communities (ID: 400842)|jsmith|{ts '2011-11-07 12:18:47'} Edited page details for: Creating Livable Communities (ID: 400843)|jsmith|{ts '2011-11-07 12:19:04'}

It's basically a text file with three entries per line, delimited by a pipe |

I have it somewhat working using <cfloop> with a chr(10) for the delimiter, and listgetat ising the | as the delimiter.  The only problem is the aforementioned bug with the last item picking up the date on the next line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your code sounds sort of ok in theory but if it isn't giving the expected results it obviously isn't,  Please post this part:

"I have it somewhat working using <cfloop> with a chr(10) for the delimiter, and listgetat ising the | as the delimiter. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry!  I'd meant to do that.

<cfset logpath = expandpath(".") & "\actionlog.txt">

<cffile action="read" file="#logpath#" variable="logfile">

<cfloop index="thisrow" list="#logfile#" delimiters="#chr(10)#">

<tr>

<cfoutput>

<td>#listgetat(thisrow,1,"|")#</td>

<td>#listgetat(thisrow,2,"|")#</td>

<td>#Dateformat(listgetat(thisrow,3,"|"),"dd/mm/yyyy")# #Timeformat(listgetat(thisrow,3,"|"),"h:mm:sstt")#</td>

</cfoutput>

</tr>

</cfloop>

I've left out the superfluous parts of the HTML table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your code and sample appear to work.  I was able to get a basic sample to work correctly on my local machine.  I suspect that the log file may have some empty fields and/or extra line breaks which are causing problems.

I assumed that a line breaks follows the closing curly brace for each record in you sample data. 

Here is the code I used:

<!---

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556466#4556466

--->

<html>

<head>

<title>CFFORUM QUESTION</title>

</head>

<body>

<table border="1">

<cfloop index="thisrow" list="#logfile#" delimiters="#chr(10)#">

<tr>

<cfoutput>

<td>#listgetat(thisrow,1,"|")#</td>

<td>#listgetat(thisrow,2,"|")#</td>

<td>#Dateformat(listgetat(thisrow,3,"|"),"dd/mm/yyyy")# #Timeformat(listgetat(thisrow,3,"|"),"h:mm:sstt")#</td>

</cfoutput>

</tr>

</cfloop>

</table>

</body>

</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your code looks all right to me. Does this solve your problem:

delimiters="#chr(10)##chr(13)#"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was away for the weekend and came back to a dozen fires to put out.

BKBK: I tried the #chr(10)##chr(13)# combo previously (and several different flavors of the chr10/13 combo with identical results each time.  The third field seems to wrap around to the date.

When I write the file, I use the "addnewline" attribute of cffile:

<cfset errorstring = #error.dateTime# & " | " & #error.remoteAddress# & " | " & #error.template# & " | " & #error.queryString#  & " | " & #error.message#>

<cffile action="append"

file="#outputdir##default_topic#.txt"

output="#errorstring#"

addnewline="yes">

Perhaps that's appending something unexpected.  Or perhaps I should force my own end-of-line character when I write each line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just might be that one or more of the line-break delimiters were not written to file. To test this, mark the position of the line-breaks with "[end_of_line]<BR>", for example. Display the result, and examine whether the line-breaks are where you expect them to be.

I was thinking of something like

<cfset newLog = replaceNoCase(logfile,chr(10),"[en_of_line]<BR>","all")>

<cfoutput>#newLog#</cfoutput>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a bad idea.  I'll try that tomorrow when I get in to the office, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could post the relavent code to go with the sample data.  This would help in troubleshooting your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation