Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 spot channel problems

Jul 18, 2012 11:34 AM

When I save a file created in Photoshop CS6 that has SPOT color channels it is converting the SPOT color channels to ALPHA channels when my customers are opening them into an older version of Photoshop.  This has never been a problem with earlier versions of Photoshop.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution?

I don't know if it is a bug in CS6 or it is a setting or something I am not finding. I have never had to set anything before this version and I have been through anything I could think of to try & discover something, but no luck.

Any help would be really appreciated as this can't keep happening.  I have had to be on the phone walking them through the steps to convert the ALPHA channels back to SPOT channels but do not have the time nor should I expect my customer to have to do it.

Running Windows 7

Help please!- Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to billstapletondesign

I'm having the same issues and it seems this just started happening after the most recent update because this wasn't happening for the last couple months I've had CS6. Not only that I actually lost 4 hours of work after it didn't save the spot channels at all and just saved the original image (it's technically supposed to be impossible to do this without making a copy). On top of that now when my clients try to open my PSD files in previous versions it says they do not have the correct color books even though I'm not using spot colors (this did not happen before the update. I've sent several files in the past couple weeks). I'm not sure what they did recently but it really screwed things up.

I'd like to know if anyone has a work around for the color book problem short of asking my clients to buy and install the new color books. I'm having to send the spots as EPS DCS files, so they can open it. It's always a headache when you upgrade and none of your clients do. Why can't they make this stuff work backwards?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to Digital Halftones

Odds are that you used a Pantone+ color, which is not present in older versions of Photoshop.

Pantone updated their color definitions, and while the new color book files are compatible with older versions of Photoshop - they did not ship with older versions of Photoshop and thus using those colors cannot be compatible by default.

If you use much older versions of Photoshop, then some of the file format data may have changed and spot color definitions could be lost (while the channel is still there).  That's just because the older version cannot read the updated info in the new file (which we kept compatible for over 6 years in this case).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Digital Halftones

Just asking... are you only now using the Pantone Plus libraries, wheras the older versions are using the 'standard' pantone libraries. I had some problems supplying files like this previously. Maybe make sure the customers have installed the (free) update from Pantone

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to davetwo

Beaten to it!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to davetwo

Dave there is no longer a free update. It was taken down as of July 2012. It's $50 dollars now I believe, something my clients don't want to pay so they can open my CS6 files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris if I just use cmyk values and set the channel to spot will that work, instead of selecting a color from the book? Even while not using colors from the book my client using CS3 hasn't been able to open the file. It says they do not have the correct color book or something like that.

What is a free workaround besides buying the new digital books for this problem? According to your explanation "some of the file format data may have changed and spot color definitions could be lost (while the channel is still there)." Then why can't they open the psd file with just a modified spot color definition in place of the true one much like when you open a psd file and don't have a font. My clients know how to make spots, but the fact that they can't even open the file seems ridiculous. I've literally sent 4 versions at this point and an eps dcs placed in illustrator has been the only workaround that I've found to work so far that allows them access to the spot colors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to billstapletondesign

Bill which version are they opening it in? I'm not having that same issue sending my spots to clients using versions as old as CS2, so it might be something specific to their machine or maybe it's something like Chris is saying where their version of PS is so old it can't read the new spot definitions used by CS6 and is dropping them out to make alpha channels.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Digital Halftones

Digital - if they get an error about a color book, then there is a book color reference in the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris you are correct I found there was a pms 715 in the file. I originally selected the color in the book that PS recommended and then selected color picker and hit ok, but it kept it as a book color not as the color picker value. I had to slightly move the color picker and then hit ok for it to save it as a color picker value rather than the spot color. Good to know you have to actually pick a new color in the color picker not just select color picker for it to change. Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to billstapletondesign

If the version of Photoshop is old enough, it won't be able to read the newer representation of spot color channel definitions (and we could only keep duplicated definitions around for so many years).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to billstapletondesign

Just changing the Pantone library from Pantone+ to simple Pantone of the same shade could solve the problem, as it did in my case of a colour book error

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points