Skip navigation
corpow
Currently Being Moderated

Are there critical or security updates for Macromedia Dreamweaver since Adobe took over?

Jul 18, 2012 5:40 AM

Are there critical or security updates for Macromedia Dreamweaver Flash and Macromedia suite since Adobe took over? I can still use it but I am worried about security issues.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to corpow

If you are using old versions of Actionscript with Flash, probably.

If you are using the databases functions and other pre-written scripts in DW, there's a very good chance.

Macromedia has not had developed a program since 2005. That's 7 years and a long time in the tech industry.  Flash is light years ahead of where you are.  DW is better at supporting the newer standards like HTML5 and CSS3, but because HTML is just a text editor, all you are losing is the preview in the application and the code hinting.  If you can hand code it yourself, you are not losing anything.

Because you are using version that are this old, you could be at major risks from your operating system moreso than your version of DW, but none of the Macromedia versions of DW are able to run, outside of maybe virtualization, in Windows 7.  The chances of someone exploiting an old version of Windows or Mac are much more likely then someone targeting the DW or Flash applications specifically.  The code generated by them would more likely be the target, but still less than the OS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to corpow

corpow wrote:

I have a new computer with Windows 7 and I thought of installing my old Macromedia Dreamweaver and using it to update my web site. However I don't know if I can still use it with Windows 7 and with no critical updates I am wondering what would happen.

Or if I reformat my old Windows XP computer  and reinstall Macromedia Dreamweaver, would it be okay, or safe, security wise? Thanks.

What sort of security are you worried about?  DW creates plain text files and they are as safe as any other text files you create with Notepad or Wordpad.

How old is your DW?  I personally thing#k that it is time for you to get a new version so that you can create websites based on modern standards that are compatible with modern browsers.

Amazon should be able to sell you the product at a very competitive price.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points