Skip navigation
Trevor Dennis 5,925 posts
May 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Robert Weingarten's 'Portrait Unbound' project

Jul 17, 2012 4:05 PM

I know a few posters here keep a weather eye on sites like DPReview and Tom's Hardware, but for those that missed it, this video about Robert Weingarten's 'Portrait Unbound' project is interesting.  It shows a tiny snippet of him assembling a composite in Photoshop, but is mostly about the background.   Basically, he talks to a portrait subject, and asks what has been important to that person, and then builds a photo montage that represents the subject.  It's an idea we could all borrow from, but I doubt that many of us would be able to fly to England and Italy to gather image elements, or even print of a series of test images on roll paper (One of the final prints was something like three meters wide!)

It's also interesting to check out the DPR link to see people's reactions:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/16/robert-weingarten-portrait-unb ound

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 17, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

somewhat interesting concept, but having just watched the video I am thinking it is too, i don't know, "conrete" in lack of a better word. Just pasting together images of objects and places from a persons life. I still prefer a perfectly executed portrait photograph of the actual person, with more room for interpretation.

Allthough the idea could produce some visually pleasing compositions, I'm sure it's stuff people want on their walls and that there is a market for it. I mean it could selectively showcase a persons achievements, travels and so on in a visual piece, which is something people would want.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 10:04 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

You mean different people contributing to one single montage?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 10:49 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I am wondering if you are really impressed with that video and the technique?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 18, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to dutotone

dutotone wrote:

I am thinking it is too, i don't know, "conrete" in lack of a better word.

Unfortunately, that word isn't too good in itself...  Did you mean "concrete"?  I'm having trouble seeing how that would apply.

From a business perspective, the guy hasn't got a bad idea... 

Contact famous people that you've picked for their notoriety in accomplishments, sell them your idea to make a photo-art montage of their lives, calling it an "art project".  Most blow you off, but a few accept.

Take the time to interview them and photograph a bunch of their stuff, then give them a free big print framed.  You photograph baseballs and fields for baseball players, big buildings and gold bars for executives, cars and tracks for racecar drivers, etc. and move them around in Photoshop until you have a big, busy image of stuff they like and edited well enough that it doesn't make people vomit on first glance.

Do this enough times, and you begin to stand on the shoulders of their fame.   You become the "guy who does art montages of famous people", which gets you into even more doors.

Then you start to charge big money from people who have it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel. Yes concrete is of course what I meant to say. Typo. Still don't know if it describes what I mean, english is like my 3rd language so please have me excused. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 8:06 AM   in reply to dutotone

As Trevor asked , . .would the average person associate the image elements with that person?

I'd say no. I was generally aware of the careers of some of the people mentioned, however, the references are sometimes so vague and tenuous that they could easily apply to any of a half dozen or more other people.

I say Amen to Noel's comment, . . big, busy image of stuff they like and edited well enough that it doesn't make people vomit on first glance.

One of the things that made me queasy was the Colin Powell piece where the names from the Vietnam Veterans Momorial were overlaid on almost half the image. It practically made my eyeballs vibrate!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:31 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Ah, yes, making the big bucks by ego stroking, using that keen tension between the abstract and the concrete. I love these original concepts. It could be called, let's see, I've got it, "public relations".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)