Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iOS application dies - suspect a memory issue

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a reasonably large AIR application developed in CS6 using AIR 3.3 (I tried 3.2 as well). Works fine on my computer but when I upload it to an iPhone the application tries to start but then dies and returns to the apple home screen.

The application contains about 12 screens each of which contain many (50+) variables / movie clips etc. Tried to debug it using the external debugger but no errors appear in CS6. When I limit the number of screens I create to e.g. 9 screens only it starts to work again. Which 3 I disable is totally irrelevant (first  or last 3 screens) - when I get down to 9 screens all is well.

I don't really know where to start looking for a solution to this. Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

Leon

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does closing all the background apps make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. Tried rebooting the phone frequently and makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using any ANEs? The number of slides could be a red herring.

Have you looked at the Console pane in the iPhone Config Utility while running the app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9 or less works, 10 or more does not... show us your code.

it could be a problem with a number of things, but is probably an easy fix:

[for loops, naming conventions, missing objects, declaration of an object, etc...]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies - in answer to your questions:

• "Using ANE's?": yes about 7 of them....
  • "Looked a the console pane?" That was a very interesting one. I never knew I could do that and it seems like a great tool. I just posted another question about this as it would safe me weeks of works if I could actually put my own stuff (from my application) on this console. Is there a way of doing that?
  • "Show us your code". - It really is too big to post here but I refactored my code so it uses less screens and it seems to be working now so for the time being - I'm OK

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doubledutch20 wrote:

• "Using ANE's?": yes about 7 of them....

Yikes. Based on my experience with native extensions, at least one of those ANEs is almost certainly the cause of the crash-on-startup problem.

Take a look at the iTunes' CrashReporter folder on your Mac or PC. Most of the information in crash logs is not helpful, but you might get a better idea of what's causing the crashes.

As for sending trace statements to the the Console pane -- it would probably require another ANE. I would stick to publishing for device debugging. By adding breakpoints and trace statements to your startup code, you should eventually find the code that's causing the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines