Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Changing color of one word without CSS

Mar 28, 2010 5:26 AM

Hi,

I am using Dreamweaver CS4.  I am trying to create a simple website without using CSS.  I have typed a paragraph inside <p></p> tags.  I'd like to select one particular word within this paragraph and change its color.  I have selected the word.  In the property inspector, I can make it bold or italic, but I can't find any way to change its color.  Is there a way I can do this in Design View?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2010 6:08 AM   in reply to PaulKraemer1

I've double checked through all the references I can find and you can't do this without CSS.  The only way to accomplish this is with a span tag and spans don't have color attributes, only the style attribute which involves CSS. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2010 6:21 AM   in reply to SnakEyez02

Double click your word, right click it and select wrap tag.

In that dialogue type span (DW will auto-complete) and then type style.  DW will leave you with style=""

Inbetween the "" type color: blue or whatever.

That's not the best way to do what you want and it is using CSS but, it is an option.

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2010 6:28 PM   in reply to PaulKraemer1

First, I'm not sure why you'd not want to use CSS, but whatever floats your boat.

Secondly, you can do this if you really don't want to use CSS by going into code view and wrapping your word in font tags:

blah blah <font color="#somecolor">word</font> blah blah

You really shouldn't do this, but it will (mostly) work

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 10:03 AM   in reply to StuSchnauzer

Agreed using CSS is better when design a site. However, there are situations where using font tags are appropriate:

Email, small individual edits. Why DW removed this feature from the properties doesn't make sense. Heck, this editor allows you to add color using style tags.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 10:12 AM   in reply to siptec

Agreed using CSS is better when design a site. However, there are situations where using font tags are appropriate:

Email, small individual edits.

None of your situations would rule against using CSS, which works fine in emails, as long as you know how to do it.  Font tags are never appropriate.

Why DW removed this feature from the properties doesn't make sense.

It wasn't needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 10:32 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Thanks, got the "New Inline Style" setting. Jumped from DW8 to CS5 and their are some major changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 11:40 AM   in reply to siptec

Thanks, got the "New Inline Style" setting. Jumped from DW8 to CS5 and their are some major changes.

Not surprising considering that CS3 and CS4 intervened! Both of which also contained some major changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

It is too needed. I upgraded to DW CS5 and I've learned CSS. However, there are times when just using the old HTML tags to color, underline, or highlight a font come in very handy. Right now, I'm doing my best to figure out how to highlight a single line of text in an outline on a web page using CSS. I want to this quickly and easily. I create the CSS style, highlight the text, and choose the style from the properties menu, and what-da-ya-know, it highlights the entire list item, all the way to the edge of the page! I'm scowering the web trying to find a way to get Dreamweaver to apply the CSS only to the text itself by way of span, div, or however, and I can find NOTHING. What works for some may not work for all. I think we may have started to forget that in the software development world.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to muncyweb3

@muncyweb3. there is never a need for <font>

painting with html is one of the worst ways of doing things.

if you cant think of a better solution. go back to school and learn a better way.

its clear you just dont understand css enough and have to rely on outdated and now deprecated methods.

never, never, ever use <font> ugh!

as for your question in your css file.

li span { /* add highlight styles here */ }

add your span into the list via html

<li>hello some <span>text goes here</span></li>

thats not particularly difficult.

What works for some may not work for all. I think we may have started to forget that in the software development world.

your right. stick to the standards, otherwise you just end up like IE, and no developer likes IE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Dan Fallon (Headjam)

Dan, I know how to do this in CSS, just as you have shown here with this line of code. The point is that previously (back in the HTML-only days) Dreamweaver made font styling easy with just one click from its WYSIWYG interface than it often does now with its heavy push toward CSS. Some things require more steps within the editor. Knowing code and how to do things is excellent, but in a world where time is money, shortcuts are often quite helpful, more so than knowing what they're doing behind the scenes. If I am creating and constantly maintaining an "old school book report style" outline in Dreamweaver that I am posting online, it would be helpful to have a way to QUICKLY focus Dreamweaver's CSS styling not on the surrounding tag, but on just a word or even the whole line within the tag, WITHOUT first clicking over to the code, and WITHOUT messing around with the HTML, and without even using snippets which I would have to be sure were installed on other collegues machines as well, and which I would have to hunt for as I rarely use that pallette. As a person whose primary passion and knowledge is design (not code), I've always loved Dreamweaver for it's magical ability to hide the code and let me see my design just as it is in the browser, and to WORK with the design through a series of shortcuts that add the code for me. A more desireable instruction set (for me) would be as follows:

1. Select text to be highlighted.

2. Click "Class" menu in properties panel > select class > "Apply via span" (or something to this effect)

If I have several online documents containing list items which I wish to highlight (but not the whole line), and I maintain these documents several times a month, highlighting various portions of the documents, with constant changes, just how much time could be saved by a shortcut such as this?

As I've seen many times on these forums, the arguments go from "can I do this?" to "no you can't, and you shouldn't be trying that anyway" to "can I do this?" If I can't do it, don't waste my time with a lecture, just tell me I can't, take the feedback to the software developer and perhaps put it in as a potential idea for future versions. I HAVE seen my issues brought up elsewhere, but not one person has had an answer other than "just add this to the code". I don't think it's unreasonable for folks using Dreamweaver largely for its amazing WYSIWYG abilities to wish to expound on those abilities in future versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to muncyweb3

muncyweb3, yeah I thought Dan was railing on you a bit for asking an honest question. I still use some "no no" html commands because they are easier/quicker. Most of the time I'm using very complex & multiple CSS, but there are sometimes the old ugly ways work. You have to be able to think outside the box and Dan needs to work on his bedside manner.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points