Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe -- Turn off Missing Frames warning!

Jul 19, 2012 10:14 AM

If you generate frames one at time (i.e. 3d rendering) -- you might have missing frames in your sequences used in After Effects. Beware because CS6 makes this a massive headache. If someone knows a workaround besides a huge time-waster that is creating dummy filler frames, please let me know.  Please submit a bug report to Adobe because this missing frames warning is a massive frustration...  Feel free to copy/paste from below.

******BUG******

Concise problem statement:

The missing frames warning indicator IS HORRIBLE.  It is intrusive, unnecessary and inefficient.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1.  I Have loaded a series of sequential frames.  They are coming from a 3d renderer so sometimes frames are missing and are filling in gradually.

2. Add the sequential frames to a composition

3. Scrub the playhead in the composition. 

Results:  Each time I touch the scrub bar, I get a warning "After Effects warning: The sequence has 335 missing frames."  Next time I touch the scrub bar "The sequence has 334 missing frames"

Expected results:  Pre CS6 -- The missing frames warning used to come up ONCE when reloading or loading footage... NOT EVERY time I touched the scrub bar.  It is SO annoying.  Make it work the way it used to in CS5.  This current implementation is absolutely horrendous.  It is completely useless and a huge waste of time for people who generate individual frames (i.e. 3d animators -- many of whom use After Effects)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to nicknameforme

I thought CS5.5 brought new missing frame behavior. IIRC, it automatically filled in gaps as they were being rendered. So you could bring in an incomplete image sequence while you were rendering in 3D, and AE would automatically (and silently) fill in the gaps as the frames became available.

Is this not the case for CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to nicknameforme

Yes, it's super-annoying.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to nicknameforme

It's trully annoying this issue, having a tight deadline and having to comp with incomplete renders has become a lot more stressfull.  It would be really great if Adobe fixed this!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to nicknameforme

i can't believe this has gone unresolved all this time.

so much for doing a full screen ram preview of a partial sequence. also, every time a frame is added, it completely tosses out all the frames that existed in ram preview.

but by all means adobe, keep devoting your resources to gee whiz crap like rotobrush, so that you can make nice demos of your software that is nothing but frustration in real-world workflows.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to stevemillerband

I've used AE for real world workflow since AE belonged to COSA...

Make sure your configured correctly. Make sure that you're not trying to preview something that is too big and too high rez for your system.

Make sure that your MP settings are in line with your system and the effects used.

If all else fails turn off disk cache.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

We acknowledge that this is an annoying behavior, and we're working on a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

ok great ! so now we know that you have been around since the stone ages...does that help anyone with the discusses issue ? i doubt it. so please !

i have been using after effects and nuke for quite a while now..and let me tell you : adobe looks bad in this one

ciao

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to nicknameforme

from the details of what's new and changed in After Effects CC (12.0):

"If you had missing frames in an image sequence, previous versions of After Effects would say something like this “After Effects warning: The sequence has 3 missing frames.” In After Effects CC, the message is much more useful: “After Effects warning: Animal[1-6].psd is missing 3 frames (2, 4-5).” Also, there is now a preference, Report Missing Frames, that allows you to turn this warning off if it is annoying."

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to nicknameforme

I have found a solution for CS6 users...

Make sure to check "Force Alphabetical order" during image sequence import, and these warnings will go away.

http://www.joshuamosley.com/tutorials/AEimportSequence/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points