Skip navigation
Strickwerker
Currently Being Moderated

Favorite or often used functions collected?

Jul 19, 2012 6:58 AM

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to collect often needed functions to a separate - let's say - "favorite" menu.

As I mostly do beauty retouching I need "highpass", "gaussian blur", "unsharpen", "Topaz adjust" or "PTlens" all the time, (which are 3rd party plug-ins). But every single time I have to go through the menus to call the specific function.

Is there maybe already a way to collect you favorite used functions in a personally customized menu?

Thanks for help!
H.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Strickwerker

You could use actions or in you have cs4 or newer configurator might do:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/configurator/

Added: The configurator for cs4 doesn't seem to be listed anymore

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to Strickwerker

Like R_Kelly said, you can record your actions. Here is a tutorial on how to do that:

http://blog.lorrifreedman.com/index.php/2009/03/26/how-to-create-an-ac tion-in-photoshop/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to Strickwerker

If you use actions, then after you record them one could use the button mode.

fav-1.png

button mode:

fav-2.png

If you use configurator to make a panel:

Example panel: Favorite Functions

fav-3.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

I think Configurator is a great tool, it can be used to create Panels that combine tools, menu items, actions, scripts etc.

But I don’t know how well it plays with 3rd party plug-ins.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 3:45 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Okay, recording actions is no problem and I just downloaded and installed the configurator.

But the problem with action recording is, that I just want to have the function/filter i.e. to pop up, but I don't want to fill in any values, 'cause I don't want to set the same values on every picture. And I didn't find the button mode for the actions.

But If I don't set any values and close the dialog or confirm, the action recording can not complete as I can't punch the "stop recording" button. The open dialog menu is above it. If I close/confirme the action always sets the same parameters to very new image.

All I want is a shortcut in the menu field for my often used functions, that are burried in PS sub menus. Too difficult for me?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to dannybrown2011

You can record some setting and check the »Toggle dialog on/off«field in the Actions Panel to raise the dialog when running the Action.

But I think Configurator (and Keyboard Shortcuts) might fit your needs quite well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Now I've made a new favorite menu including my favorite functions using the configurator and exported it to the plugin/panel folder of PS x64.
    I still can't find PTLens & Topaz Adjust to add them, but anyway.

Now I' stuck in making this menu to appear in PS. Manual just ends after exporting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to dannybrown2011

That’s a 3rd party plugin?

You might be able to trigger it via an Action or a Script and link to that from the Panel.

After exporting and restarting Photoshop the Panel should be available Window > Extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to dannybrown2011

You could use your recorded action from photoshop on the 3rd party filters in configurator.

I recorded the actions using Insert Menu Item, so the filter opens with the last used settings but

i don't have PTLens, so hopefully the same procedure will work as the topaz adjust, which i do have.

In configurator look under Action/Script on the left panel and use Action and on the right panel under

Object>Basic Attributes.

The Action Name is the exact name of your action in photoshop and the Action Set is the exact name of the action set in photoshop and

you need to keep the actions loaded in photoshop or you'll get an error when trying to use the button in your panel.

( i usually use scripts to avoid the need for having to use actions, but that's matter of preference and it's not as easy as actions)

action-1.png

action-2.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to dannybrown2011

Hi, it seems that you know your way about actions, and want to know more? Look at the mother of all actions tutorials, 300+ pages of Actions goodness!

Mother of All Tutorials

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

Hi R_Kelly!

That worked just great for all my 3rd party plug-ins! These actions have to stay in the action panel to work continously. For inserting a menu item, you start by recording a new action, but stop it immediately. Then you open "Insert Menu Item ..." from that sub menu, leave the dialog window open and do so like you are using the plug in. It'll only appear with it's name in the "Insert Menu Item .." window. Just click okay.

Thanks for that tutorial on (action) scripting!

menu.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points