Skip navigation
SiggieSputnik
Currently Being Moderated

Find & Replace Text - Styling Problem (CS5 Mac)

Jul 19, 2012 9:58 AM

Hi everyone,

Is there a way when finding and replacing a text string to style the block of copy. My problem is that I have some color codes given by the customer that now need to be converted to our internal color matches on our production drawings.

The original string of text looks like this:

Holder: P1 (Metallic Silver)

What I’m getting when I go to replace this string is:

Holder: Natural Satin

What I want is:

Holder: Natural Satin

I do not want the replaced text to be italicized. I'm thinking since the original string ends with an italic style that the replacement string is also italicized. There are about 50 pages of drawings with about 10 colors on the job and some pages have them entered in more than one place. So that's a minimum of 500 entries and defititely more considereing the multiple places these are called out. I'd really rather not have to copy and paste all of these by hand. I'm use to FreeHand, which would respect the font styling of pasted text in the find and replace diaglog.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Work around if it cant be done natively?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to SiggieSputnik

Illustrator simply does not have any method to find and replace paragraph or character styles. It's just not that robust when searching through text. You could alter the style, if one is applied, or substitue the font for the non-italic face via Find Font... but that may create issues in other areas of the any piece.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you'll have to manually remove the italics.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to SiggieSputnik

Indesign is the typesettign app.. Illustrator is, surprisingly enough, the illustration app.

What you are seeking is a no-brainer in Indesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to SiggieSputnik

Actiually there is a possibility (at least there was)

http://kelsocartography.com/blog/?tag=find-and-replace-fonts

The script is still available, but you'll have to ask for a version with a new expiration date.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points