Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash-plugin not working

Jun 12, 2012 3:02 PM

Operating System is Linux (OEL) 5.5.

After upgrading browser to FIrefox 10.0.5, Adobe download site recommended Flash-plugin 11.2.202.236.  Installed on Linux  using 'rpm'.  Started browser and entered 'about:plugin" which listed the shockwave flash plugin.  BUT, when URL to the Adobe test page entered, the flash 'movie' did not display anything .. just blank box.  I've deinstalled and reinstalled, and searched numerous websites for help .. but nothing helpful.  PLEASE, help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to swp4u

what version of the rpm did you install?  the binary must match firefox, meaning if  your firefox is 32-bit, you'll need to install the 32-bit rpm. if your firefox is 64-bit, you'll need to install the 64-bit rpm.

assuming you installed the correct rpm, it may be that firefox doesn't know where to search for the libflashplayer.so binary

what you can do is symlink it from a location firefox does know where to look, usually ~/.mozilla/plugins

to do that lets go through these steps...

find out where the binary is installed (as root in a terminal window type): rpm -ql flash-plugin

in my 64-bit example the binary is installed here - /usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so

lets symlink to it from you home mozilla directory (as yourself in a terminal window):

move to the folder (type in terminal): cd ~/.mozilla/plugins

Note: if the folder doesn't exist, create it and do the command above(as yourself in terminal type): mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins

link the binary (as yourself in terminal type): ln -s /usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so .

quit out of firefox and restart your browser

hope that helps...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to swp4u

maybe try uninstalling nspluginwrapper?  it should not be needed for anything...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to libflashplayer.so

also, if the firefox version was a default install, it may actually be 64-bit.  so, you would have to install the x86_64 rpm rather.  there is incompatibilities/conflict with the native 64-bit flash binary and nspluginwrapper, so it would be best to uninstall it.  thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to swp4u

you firefox is picking up something for the flash binary.  so there may be more than 1 installed on your sytem and it's somehow confused.

There is no /usr/lib64, just the /usr/lib .. doesn't that confirm this is 32-bit? from your uname ocmmand it looks like it's NOT 64-bit

Is JAVA plugin a pre-requisite requirement for Flash-plugin? no, this is not required

Is Firefox 10.0.5 and Flash-plugin 11.2.202.236 compatible/certified? we do not run a certification on your distro, but it should have been tested on RHEL/openSuse/Ubuntu

Is there some utility/tool to assist troubleshooting this?  no, there is no utility for troubleshooting this.  installation instructions are available here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/readme-flash-player-l inux.html

lets completely uninstall the flash player...

1. (run as root): rpm -e flash-plugin

2. go to the version page to make sure nothing is picked up: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

3. download the flash player tarball: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

4. choose Linux (32-bit) > x.tar.gz

5. save it and unpack it

6. copy libflashplayer.so to your ~/.mozilla/plugins directory

7. restart firefox and go to the version page

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to swp4u

so, after you uninstalled, did you make sure no other player was being picked up?  restart the browser and do the about:plugins and go to the version page.  you should not have anything installed prior to copying over the binary to ~/.mozilla/plugins

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to swp4u

it there a reason you have nspluginwrapper installed?  you could try to uninstall that to see if that is preventing flash to work...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to libflashplayer.so

ok, i had a chance to download Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 Update 8.  i did a basic install and it came with firefox 3.6.  i copied the libflashplayer.so file to ~/.mozilla/plugins and firefox did not load the plugin. 

do you have selinux running?

well i saw the error and ran the recommended command, in terminal, to allow the loading of the binary:

chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/home/labuser/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so'

change the path to your location and see if that helps...

i have entered an internal bug for the TEXTREL, but it may be difficult to resolve since our last supported shipping version is 11.2...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to swp4u

did you try running the command as root?

in terminal change to user root:

$ sudo root

it will prompt you for root password.  enter the password and the promt should turn from $ to #

at that time try the command: chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/home/oracle/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so'

also, the bug would only apply to the flash player binary.  it does not have anything to do with firefox at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to swp4u

I too am experiencing these problems.  I uninstalled the latest flash, then reinstalled version 10 something to fix this.  I am running Windows Vista 64-bit, the latest Firefox beta as recommended, and the latest Yahoo messenger.  The problem is, if I pull up IE which I need for cloud access for work, then it automatically installs the latest version for my pc, which is buggered, and I'm back to flash not displaying facebook or ad content across the web  in Firefox and crashing when I exit Yahoo.  I receive successful installation each time, but cannot access settings manager immediately after install.

The only helpful notice I receive is in yahoo messenger as it exits.  I receive the message "flash.ocx no longer part of windows" as the crash error when exiting Yahoo messenger, then it wants me to go back and install it again. Facebook content never loads, and ads pull up blank windows I can't exit.  It's very frustrating. Any suggestions other than keep rolling back?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to swp4u

the firefox version should not matter, but it is worth a try.

@crazymelsa the orignal post pertains to a linux based OS.  your issue would be different.  would you mind to please start a new thread.  thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to libflashplayer.so

thought you should know...  our internal bug has been marked fixed and should roll out in the next backport.  scheduling has not been confirmed, so we are unable to comment when it will occur.  thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points