Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Removing part of an image

Jul 19, 2012 7:28 AM

Hi! This is something I SHOULD be able to figure out, but for some reason, I'm having trouble. I'm designing a t-shirt. It can only have 4 colors. The "5th color" is actually the color of the shirt itself. So I have waves with a dolphin over them (covering them, not above them). The dolphin is outlined in one of the 4 colors, but I want the dolphin itself to be the color of the t-shirt (i.e., no color at all - or see-through, so it is actually the color of the shirt). How do I remove the color of the dolphin for the printer? If it was just the dolphin over a solid color, I could do that. But since it's over many colors (the waves), I'm stumped. Thanks!

Julie

PS I'm using CS4 on an iMac.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

Two ways

1. Select all the art and turn it into a Live Paint Group and fill or stroke any area or path contained within the contour of the dolphin with None

2. Outline the waves if they are strokes if they are closed paths that's fine select all the waves make a compound path. The with the dolphin art on top use the Pathfinder and choose Minus front.

You will have to recolor the art wave art.

you have to make a copy of the dolphin if it is to have a stroke.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

Julie,

Or a third way:

3) Change the dolphin to white (black may be woolly), select that and the waves in whichever form they are, and in the Transparency palette/panel flyout>Make Opacity Mask, Clip unticked, Invert Mask ticked.

Who will present a fourth way?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

OJacob Bugge wrote:

Julie,

Or a third way:

3) Change the dolphin to white (black may be woolly), select that and the waves in whichever form they are, and in the Transparency palette/panel flyout>Make Opacity Mask, Clip unticked, Invert Mask ticked.

Who will present a fourth way?

Or fill it with black and make the opacity mask without  an iversion or a clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

Indeed Wade; I left out that option and made the (black may be woolly) comment because of some vague impression of my having seen someone mentioning something about plain K black sometimes being insufficient(ly black) in some connexion(s)/version(s)/whatever.

Maybe it is better to forget all about it.

Anyone with a fifth way?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Yes-

If you are doing art for screen printing to a shirt your "4" colors should be 4 spot (or Pantone) colors (unless you are wanting to print 4 color process-CMYK) so the printer can output the separations to film (each color to a separate film)..  What you can do is creat a new 5th color swatch that is the shirt color and make it a spot color and name it "shirt" or whatever makes sense to you, and notify your printer to not output "shirt" color.

Then use that color swatch anywhere you want the shirt color to "show through".  When the printer outputs the films minus the "shirt" color and prints the shirts all will be perfect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

And another way, make the Dolphin color with opacity of 0. Group all objects and in the Transparency panel put a checkmark for Knockout Group.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to emil emil

Emil,

This is interesting as I had not thought to try it this way.  But I am using CS6 and when I try it the thing I did not like is that the dolphin color turns to white instead of the shirt color.  In other words, it did not show through to the color underneath.  Did I do something wrong?

I like to see the art as it would look on the shirt and unless I did something wrong this method will not allow me to see that.

The way I explained I would create the bottom layer and fill the page with the shirt color.  Then lock that layer and work on a layer(s) above.  Then you are seeing what the actual print will look like.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to billstapletondesign

How ab0out this way

use the pathfinde divide filter and delete the unwanted sections.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Hi Wade,

Again this would work.  But it seems a rather permanent method that renders the art much less editable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to AABBCCJuile

Bill,

This is the Remove part of an image thread, still g(r)owing strong.

Another destructive way, if the waves are (turned into) closed paths, is to select the dolphin path, Object>Path>Divide Objects Below, and delete the parts inside the shape.

Actually, in some cases, such destructive ways have advantages, because they result in simple objects with nothing sticking out.

There are some silly ways, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob,

I agree that some destructive ways do have advantages and in the end when my art is done and approved by the customer I most always save a second version that I send to the printer and will then do a lot of the things we are talking about (divide, merge, unite, etc) as in the end I like my files to be as clean as possible, among other reasons.  But as for the working file once you do something destructive it can be a real problem.  What if you or your client decide they want the waves thick on the top and thin toward the bottom. Oh and the want the dolphin bigger and moved to the right, and....

If we have done things the destructive way, you are out of luck.  At least without a bunch of extra work.

As for me, I have learned (usually the hard way) that it is always best to leave your work completely editable in any instances you can.  Then when you need to make those changes described above  it is as easy as increasing or decreasing the stroke weight and clicking and dragging the dolphin.  But I know everybody has their own way & what works best for them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to billstapletondesign

billstapletondesign wrote:

Emil,

This is interesting as I had not thought to try it this way.  But I am using CS6 and when I try it the thing I did not like is that the dolphin color turns to white instead of the shirt color.  In other words, it did not show through to the color underneath.  Did I do something wrong?

I like to see the art as it would look on the shirt and unless I did something wrong this method will not allow me to see that.

The way I explained I would create the bottom layer and fill the page with the shirt color.  Then lock that layer and work on a layer(s) above.  Then you are seeing what the actual print will look like.

Yes, that's the way you use it if you want to see the shirt color, a bottom layer that is not going to be sent for print. The color of the dolphin is irelevent with opacity of 0.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to billstapletondesign

Bill,

Indeed, but I believe that in all the threads here it is implied that you should always keep a copy of each crucial step in the creation of the artwork, just as you should always create backup files in general. One simple way of doing the former is to develop each step in its own layer, then Duplicate the layer and continue; this also allows for different parallel developments, and obviously superfluous layers may be deleted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to emil emil

Emil,

I think the "knockout group" may be different in CS6?  Anyway, the reasons I would not like this method is it is more cumbersome to have to set the opacity on every object where you want the shirt color to show, instead of just clicking a color swatch.  Plus, what if you are stacking objects on top of other colors that will print.  It would show them underneath the dolphin instead of shirt color.

I hope I do not sound like I am right-you are wrong,  or argumentative.  All in the spirit of learning and bouncing ideas around.  Always a good thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to billstapletondesign

It takes the same effort to create a swatch or a style and the same effort to apply a swatch color or a style - you click a little square in the Swatches or Style panel. If you drop the other objects in the same group they will not show underneath, only objects that you keep outside the knockout group will show.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points