Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition 5.0.1 crash on OMF export

Jul 19, 2012 12:48 AM

I'm getting a crash everytime I try to export an OMF from Audition 5.0.1 ( and also from 5.0.0 )

I'm on a mac 10.7.3 any clues, anyone else seeing this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to BenK1934

Hi Ben,

When this crash occurs, do you get the Crash Reporter window?  If you can submit the crash log, or email it to audbugs@adobe.com, I'd appreciate it.  Are you able to import an OMF file without a crash?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to BenK1934

Thanks, Ben.  I found the report and am sending a bug report up the chain now.  To clarify, this worked fine before you installed the update patch, correct? 

edit: I see now you mentioned this was broken before the patch as well.  Did OMF export EVER work for you or has this been an issue since CS6 was installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to BenK1934

Ben,

Suddenly, I'm able to reproduce this everywhere as well.  We're looking into it right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:48 PM   in reply to _durin_

Preliminary investigation yields that there might be a date-related bug in the ancient OMF Toolkit from Avid.  Can you try setting your clock back on your system by a few months?  I tried setting it back to 2011 and it worked for me, and then stopped when I came back to the current date.

WARNING: Some software copy protection mechanisms wack out if you change your system clock.  For example, I think the time remaining on a trial version of Audition might immediately set itself to zero days left if this happens.

We're still investigating, however.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to Charles VW

This thread was incredibly timely (pun intended)! I am using Audition 4.0x1815, Mac OS X 10.7.4, and was experiencing the same problem, crashing at the stage of "Making Composition Tracks" during OMF export. I rarely use Audition and this was the very first time I had tried an OMF export from the application. However, setting my system clock back to July 19, 2011 worked perfectly. The OMF now exports without crashing Audition.

In case it matters, initially I sent the sequence to Audition from Premiere (Right-click on sequence in Project panel > Edit in Adobe Audition > Sequence). I was also using Media Encoder at the same time to export different sequences. At some point, a dialog with a progress bar appeared in the jumble of windows on my desktop that said something about Dynamic Link, and I clicked "Cancel" before really thinking about it. I was distracted at the moment, and I'm sorry I can't recall the exact details, but thought I'd mention it in case that occurrence was related. I don't know which app presented the Dynamic Link dialog, but I had Premiere, Media Encoder, and Audition all open at that moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to ryan873

Thanks for all of your help in troubleshooting and reporting this issue.  It turns out it is indeed an error in a third-party library needed for OMF support.  I'll update as I have more information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to _durin_

Just saw post about setting clock back ,it worked

Thanks

brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to BenK1934

Hi Ben,

While I can't be specific about dates, I expect a fix to be released soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to BenK1934

Hey Guys,

Just a quick note to let you all know we have released our 5.0.2 patch for Audition which has resolved this issue.

You can download and install the update by going to Help > Updates from within Audition, or by clicking the direct link below:

Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=92&platform =Mac

While this issue was occuring on Mac only, if anyone needs the 5.0.2 update for Windows it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=92&platform =Windows

Thanks for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue.

--Ron

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Ron_Day

Is there a solution that works for CS5.5? I went to the download page that you specified and it looked like it was just for CS6. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,599 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 5, 2012 3:05 AM   in reply to petercubic

Once a new version is released, you won't get fixes for previous versions. To all intents and purposes, CS6 is the 'fix' for CS5.5...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thanks for the response Steve. I really hope that isn't Adobe's official stance on bug fixes. I feel like most bigger companies usually make sure their recent versions of software still work as they did when purchased. I'll be interested to see if any staff respond to my post.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to petercubic

Well as you saw when you went to the link Ron Day posted there have already been two bugfix updates for CS6. And as Steve says CS6 is the update and bugfix for CS5.5. So why should Adobe spend anymore developers time trying to fix an older version of their software.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to ryclark

As the bug was discovered (or more accurately, occurred) after the release of CS6 and doesn't pose a security threat, a patch is not planned for CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,599 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 6, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to petercubic

petercubic wrote:

I really hope that isn't Adobe's official stance on bug fixes.  I'll be interested to see if any staff respond to my post.

Well, Durin is Audition's Product Owner. How much more proof do you need?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to _durin_

Well, that is dissapointing. Guess whenever I have to export an OMF I'll have to change the date on my computer. Also, thanks for taking the time to say "told you so" Steve. I appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to Ron_Day

I'm new to Adobe Audition and I'm crashing every time I try to Export to OMF. I'm working in CS6 on a Mac.

Is there a fix for CS6?

Thanks,

Teri

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to VOTeri

Teri,

You'll want to make sure you're updated to version 5.0.2 which should address the OMF Export problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 8:53 PM   in reply to _durin_

I am also getting a crash on export. I am running 5.0.2 and am trying to export a large REFERENCE OMF (9.42GB) to a sound mastering company for our feature film. I have tried multiple things. Is there another option I am missing. Audition has worked great for us until now, in the final steps. Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to hearlyfilms00

Are you running Mac or Windows?  If it's a Mac, can you launch Applications > Utilities > Console.app and send the most recent Audition crash report as an attachment to audbugs@adobe.com?  If not Mac, can you let me know any crash message or error dialog it displays?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 9:25 PM   in reply to _durin_

Yes I am on Mac. I can do that. Will send soon.

AC

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points