Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Review PC Build for CS6

Jul 15, 2012 4:50 PM

Tags: #adobe #video #premiere_pro #rendering #cs6 #project #cs6-hardware

Hello all….

I wanted to post a spec on a PC I'm currently looking to build for work with CS6.  Big use in the world of AE & Premiere. Ive stalked many of these boards for a long time and have been addicted to the PPBM6 & PPBM5 Computer build outlines that Harm provides and those have been a huge resource for me, so thank you to you all!!

Here's my system I'd love to build, I don't want to say cost is no object, I'd love to walk out the door under 10k though.  I also would love to hear your thoughts on the "best" CPU coolers and fan setups for my case.

I thank you in advance for your time!

Case:              Cooler Master Cosmos II

MB:         ASUS Z9PE-D8 Dual LGA 2011 Intel

CPU:               2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SandyBridge 2.6Ghz LGA 2011

GPU:               2x EVGA GeForce GTX680 4GB

RAID:               Areca 1882IX-12

PSU:               Cooler Master Pro Gold Series 1200w

RAM:               2x Corsair Vengeance 32GB - Total 64GB

HD 1:               For Programs & OS - 1x WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 rpm

HD                    Hard Drive Setup - 12 @ WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 rpm setup in RAID 5 for Media/Render

CPU FAN: XIGMATEK DarkKnight CPU Cooler

Again… rake me over the coals and let me know your thoughts… what am I missing? overlooking? completely wrong about?

Again, Thank you!!

Matthew Cotter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 5:07 AM   in reply to matthew_cotter

Matthew,

Some remarks on your proposed build:

CPU:               2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SandyBridge 2.6Ghz LGA 2011

You realize that Intel made overclocking a practical impossibility with the Xeon E5 series. For that reason you may want to have a look at the even more expensive E5-2690 @ 2.9 GHz. But that will set you back around € 4K just for the CPU's. What is the specific reason you prefer dual Xeon's over a single i7-3930K or i7-3960X overclocked to say 4.6 GHz? Keep in mind that the mobo is also twice as expensive as a X79 mobo.

GPU:               2x EVGA GeForce GTX680 4GB

Why two video cards? Need to steer more than 4 monitors? PR will only use one.

PSU:               Cooler Master Pro Gold Series 1200w

Maybe also have a look at Corsair AX-1200. Full modular and they have a solid reputation for high quality.

HD 1:               For Programs & OS - 1x WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 rpm

Why not a Corsair Performance Pro 128 or 256 GB SSD? 2 TB is a waste of space for OS & programs. You could probably get by easily with only 128 GB.

HD                    Hard Drive Setup - 12 @ WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 rpm setup in RAID 5 for Media/Render

No Caviar Blacks in a parity raid!!! The TLER problem makes them unsuitable for parity raids.

Better consider either Seagate Constellation ES or Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 or WD RE4.

Why a 12 disk raid5? With that number of disks I would seriously consider either a raid6 or a raid30 plus at least one hot-spare. (I prefer raid30 over raid50 for video editing).

I know you have already read quite a bit here, so these links may not be relevant for you, but I give them anyway in case you missed them:

Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

Adobe Forums: Raid Performance and Rebuild Issues

Adobe Forums: Planning / building a new system. Part 1

PPBM6 Planning a new system

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to matthew_cotter

matthew_cotter wrote:

Harm~

Many thanks for your advice & thoughts, I appreciate the feedback, below was my original thought process...

CPU:               2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 SandyBridge 2.6Ghz LGA 2011
    You realize that Intel made overclocking a practical impossibility with the Xeon E5 series. For that reason you may want to have a look at the even more expensive E5-2690 @ 2.9 GHz. But that will set you back around € 4K just for the CPU's. What is the specific reason you prefer dual Xeon's over a single i7-3930K or i7-3960X overclocked to say 4.6 GHz? Keep in mind that the mobo is also twice as expensive as a X79 mobo.

I actually went back and forth many times on this one... I found several benchmarks out there that had both setups very close together in performance. My tipping point towards the Xeons was not having to OC them, and that C4D made out much better with the additional cores in the benchmarks that I saw...  Another factor was the additional PCI slots that were available on the Z9PE MB.

Other then that Im definitley open to opinion.  Im definitely open to your thoughts on the  ASUS P9X79 & i7-3960 Combo vs. the Z9PE & 2xE52690 then Im happy to go that way, as you said its about 2x the cost.  However is 2x the cost worth the C4D performance & the added PCI slot?  I guess, if all things were equal on the $$ side, which would be the better solution?

For Premiere Pro, your planned dual-CPU setup is not worth anywhere close to the price difference between it and a high-end single-CPU system. In fact, the dual-E5-2670 CPU setup may perform slower in Premiere than a slightly overclocked i7-based PC because 10 extra cores simply cannot compensate effectively for the serious clock speed deficiency on the E5-2670.

GPU:               2x EVGA GeForce GTX680 4GB
    Why two video cards? Need to steer more than 4 monitors? PR will only use one.

I was under the impression that AE and some AE plugins took advantage of the additional CUDA cores & OpenGL availability?  Is this not the case?  Definitely only need 2 monitors, but was looking for the AE bump...

In order to do that, both of the cards must not be run in SLI. In fact, SLI has its own issues, such as having only as much available total video RAM as a single card. And as Harm stated, since Premiere still does not support more than a single GPU for GPU acceleration, the second GPU is automatically disabled when running Premiere. However, if the two cards are in SLI, that can (and does) create serious stability issues in both Premiere and After Effects.

HD 1:               For Programs & OS - 1x WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 rpm
    Why not a Corsair Performance Pro 128 or 256 GB SSD? 2 TB is a waste of space for OS & programs. You could probably get by easily with only 128 GB.

This was a little bit of a toss up for me as well.  Yes definitley dont need the 2TB of space, however after reading reviews there didn't seem to be a great benefit to the SSD option on the Program/OS drive. I went with the WD Black as that was what I was using everywhere else so I figured I'd just go the same all the way around.

Perhaps after reading your raid overview the best solution is to put 2 of the 256gb SSD's or even to save some $$, 2 500gb 7200rpm drives in a Raid 1 Config.

Here is why we do not recommend such large-capacity HDDs for just the OS and programs:

1) If you use it for just that, you will leave more than 95 percent of its space totally wasted.

2) Its large capacity tempts (or even encourages) you to also install games, music downloads and miscellaneous junk that has absolutely no place at all whatsoever in a properly configured editing system on that system drive. In fact, the miscellaneous programs themselves may install other bloatware that severely slows down system performance! As a result, you may very well have a system with such a huge OS drive that actually performs as slow as or slower than a five-year-old PC with a CPU that's three generations old in Premiere Pro.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to matthew_cotter

If the majority of your work is AE and Cinema 4d then the Dual Xeon is the way to go as long as you get 64GB of ram. Those 2 applications will have far better performance with the extra threads. The extra threading wont have the same impact with Premiere unless your dealing with Red/other 4k material and mostly non-accelerated effects.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to matthew_cotter

I would definitely use a raid controller for any Parity raids. The onboard raid controller is horrible for parity raids taking days to rebuild along with poor parity checking ability. You also have far greater chance of drives prematurely dropping due to timing out during bad sector repair. If you will be running a parity raid then a dedicated raid controller is the only reasonable option. Raid 6 would be what I would recommend for the best data protection and parity verification capability with performance. Ultimately it's up to you but that is my preferred sauce.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to matthew_cotter

Hold off a week or two on the Areca card, and you'll have the PCI-e 3.0 option.  The 1882ix-12 is already being shipped to resellers..and the -16 should be next week.  Not sure on the -20, but it has to be right around the corner.

0718 018.JPG0718 017.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to matthew_cotter

But be extremely careful as all ARC-1882 (dual core) boards are not PCIe 3.0.  There are many currently being sold but they are all PCie 2.0  I would suspect that there would have to be some change to the part numbers when they become available

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Good advice. 

If you want to order before they formally announce them, email me for contact info. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:04 PM   in reply to matthew_cotter

What you will want to look for is 'Version 3'.  They are not going to have a model # change....it will still be 1882ix.  This is because the chip is not changing. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to cpachris_1969

I got this info from Areca by mail.Maybe would help:

Hi,

You can find the P/N on the controller retail box.

It will show 30 on the P/N.

Such as:

91-188201-I030 (ARC-1882I PCIe Gen 3 version)

91-1882D1-IX30-16 (ARC-1882IX-16 PCIe Gen 3 version)

Regards

Billion Wu

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points