Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Placing files

Jul 19, 2012 9:34 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 10:02 PM   in reply to Community Help

There is one very important thing to keep in mind before placing images in Photoshop: every document must have all layers in the same color mode with the same color profile and every layer or element of composition in document must have same resolution, in other words document can not contain elements or layers with different color profile and resolution. When placing pixel based documents it is very important to check first resolution of file to be placed because Photoshop will automatically change resolution to match resolution of document in the way as we do in Image Size dialog with Resample Image turned on what can cause placed document to be upsampled or downsampled. Downsampling is in most cases ok but upsampling is thing to avoid. You can read more with more details, screen-shots and explanation in my post What you should know before placing images in Photoshop and Illustrator - http://adobephotoshopsecrets.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-you-should-know -before-placing.htmlss

Message was edited by: Bojan Živković

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:13 PM   in reply to Bojan Živković

The modes, bit depths, etc. do not have to match - because Photoshop can convert the placed document into the parent document's colorspace.

And placing documents with a different resolution is a very common and powerful technique.  You should pay attention to resampling, to make sure it doesn't catch you by surprise - but there's no reason to say that users must avoid it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Looks like the post by Chris Cox moved Bojan Živković to withdraw his article:

http://adobephotoshopsecrets.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-you-should-know -before-placing.htmlss

Picture 20.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:28 PM   in reply to station_two

No, I think he just goofed on the URL.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 10:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

…he just goofed on the URL.

Oh!  Most embarrassing for a thinly-veiled spammer trying to direct traffic to his site where he offers h1s services as a free lancer. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I get conclusion about color profile because dragging file with Adobe RGB (1998) profile to document with sRGB profile will prompt for profile conversion. Even when do not convert option is choosen colors will be converted to match destination profile. Converting that layer to smart object and editing it will again prompt to convert or to use embedded profile but even use embedded when choosen colors will appear in sRGB gamut. I tried to convert layer to Smart Object before dragging it into another document with different profile and in that case use embedded profile works and colors appears as in profile with wider gamut.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 5:25 AM   in reply to station_two

I saw hole in help, trying to point to that hole and missing information. Many people are trying to place jpg with low quality and they are satisfied with size but not and with quality. They do not understand where is problem and if they search Photoshop Help they wont find answer because that information is missing. I am trying to contribute to community posting on Adobe Community and providing links to missing explanations. Who are you and what are you dloing for community to leave comment about spam?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Bojan Živković

Bojan Živković wrote:

…Who are you and what are you dloing for community to leave comment about spam?

I am just a long-time Photoshop forum user, which is where I am posting.  Your post was moved from Community Help to these user-to-user Photoshop General Discussion forums.

Any public post that links to a web site where commercial or professional services are being offered is self promotion that can generally be classified as spam.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to Bojan Živković

The modes, depths, and profiles do not have to match - because Photoshop will convert them to match.

Yes, to put pixels into a document those pixels must match the document configuration -- but Photoshop takes care of the conversions, and can warn you about those converstions if you so choose.  The user generally does not have to worry about the conversions because Photoshop will take care of them as needed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points