Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Web designer working with Internet Service Provider

Jul 20, 2012 2:56 AM

A friend of a friend is currently looking at getting a site redesign done. As I do some web design, I've had a look as they are quoting £4,000 - £6,000 for a redesign of a fairly basic existing site. From what I can tell, that sounds ludicrous - there's no database functionality, and doesn't require a fancy CMS as it wouldn't need to be updated regularly.

I haven't seen any of the companies work other than there own website which is possibly one of the worst sites I've seen - its dated 2000, with a few terrible graphics that would have looked old back then.

A couple of lines from the 'About' page caught my eye though. They use:

"powerful professionally dedicated web design technology"

I know it doesn't hurt to embellish, but really!

Also this:

"We work side by side with our Internet Service Provider (ISP) who maintains a comprehensive technical technical service to ensure your site is smooth running."

Maybe I'm a cowboy, but this isn't something I've ever worried about before - what exactly would that involve, and how much benefit would it really be?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to johngordon12

That sounds overpriced for a basic site.  I think that's a pure load of bs.  I would shop elsewhere.  If you want a fair assessment though, show us what you have and give us a brief of what you want to be able to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to johngordon12

We work side by side with our Internet Service Provider (ISP) who maintains a comprehensive technical technical service to ensure your site is smooth running

This statement makes no sense. An ISP provides access to the internet. A WEB HOST provides a place for a website to live. So it sounds like this web company doesn't know the difference between an ISP and a web host.  It also sounds like they are saying that they use shared hosting services, which are crap. Now if they said, "we host your site on our own dedicated web servers to assure that you receive consistently high bandwidth and processing power in a secure environment" then that might be a worthwhile point to make.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to johngordon12

johngordon12 wrote:

They're not local either so not sure how they found them to be honest.

Probably a nephew or niece of someone working for them. Thats how it works...although nephews and nieces don't usually charge 6k. Maybe some insider information bumped the price up......open the bubbly.....we are going to be celebrating very soon.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points