Skip navigation
JamesCurle
Currently Being Moderated

Automatically close an open PDF when exporting an updated PDF

Jul 20, 2012 11:47 AM

Tags: #pdf #export #indesign #indesign_cs5.5 #permission_conflict

I would like the ability to have InDesign instruct Adobe Acrobat Pro to close the existing PDF of the document I'm trying to export an updated version of.

I have my preferences pane set to launch the PDF file in Acrobat after export. Currently, if I try to export to PDF while a PDF of the same name is already open, I get this:

2012-07-20 02.34.35 pm.png

If you split out "permission errors" from "files in use" as two separate errors, it would then be an easy next step to have the dialog box function as such:

"There is a PDF of this same name currently open in Acrobat. Would you like to close that file? [yes] [cancel]"

As it is, if I have multiple windows up and the old PDF is buried behind them, I forget and re-export before closing the old one. When I encounter the error shown above, I'm required to click [OK], switch over to Acrobat, close the open PDF, switch back to InDesign, and then go back through the standard exporting procedures.

Perhaps the coding is more difficult than I've simplified it in my brain, but since so many of the Adobe programs work in concert with one another and have inter-connectivity, it seems like it would be easy to query Acrobat first to check if it is indeed open there, and if it is, then execute a simple close command. Since we're saving over the existing file, there would be no need to ask the user if they'd like to save the file prior to closing.

#streamline

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to JamesCurle

It's not quite what you want, but in CS6 the export dialog remains open while you find and close the offending PDF window.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to JamesCurle

I too find this very annoying. Not sure if there is a real full on work around since I might be saving to a shared folder on a network where the PDF is open on a different computer, I get this. I also get it if I drag a PDF to a mail window to send and then I notice I have to change something so I go back and try to save the PDF again over the old but it thinks it's in use just by sitting in the mail window. So I have to go and delete the PDF from the mail window, but it usually still think's it's in use. I then have to manually delete the original PDF and save back into the folder and then drag back into the mail window.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to TwitchOSX

This problem is subtle, but I believe the general concensus is that it is

Mail.app's fault and there's not much ID can do about it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points