Skip navigation
technodunce
Currently Being Moderated

Photos go dark after export

Jul 19, 2012 3:39 PM

Tags: #lightroom #export #dark_print

I use Lightroom 2.3 64-bit on a Windows 7 Home Premium operating system to process my RAW photos. When I export a post-processed photo to a folder on my hard drive, it appears very dark and muddy-looking, even though it seemed fine in the Lightroom catalog. I've had prints made from the exported files, and they also appear very dark and muddy. Also, oddly enough, when I return to the Lightroom catalog after exporting a photo, ALL the photos in Lightroom appear darker than they were prior to the export. If I close Lightroom and return later, they seem OK again (except for the already exported photos, which remain dark). Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to technodunce

It may have something to do with Lightroom automatically working in the ProPhoto color space.

The Lightroom uses the ProPhoto RGB color space which has a much wider gamut of colors to handle however while saving to JPG you need to check which of the color profile is set during export i.e. Adobe RGB, Pro Photo RGB or sRGB.

If its sRGB it might add up some extra tint and show the file changed.

Second thing would be what happens if you see your exported pic again imported in Lightroom.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Mandhir

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to technodunce

It sounds like you are saying that everything is bright in Lightroom until you export, and then they are dark, but randomly later they are light again. Are you seeing dark and light versions of your files when you switch between the Library and Develop modules?

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Jul 20, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to technodunce

They look darker where (viewed in what application other than LR?).

A ProPhoto exported image viewed in a color managed app should look fine. Any color space viewed in a non color managed app may look awful, or dark, or over/under saturated.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Jul 21, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to technodunce

technodunce wrote:

They look darker when viewed in Windows Photo Viewer, and when printed by a

local lab. I exported them in Adobe RGB(1998) color space.

Let’s forget about the lab... I’m a Mac guy, not sure that Windows Photo Viewer is ICC aware. Do you have Photoshop? Or Elements. What happens if you export in sRGB, closer in Windows Viewer? You really need to find another ICC color aware application to view the images and compare to LR. Even Safari Windows should do this IF you embed the ICC profile, then use it’s Open command.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points