Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Layout question

Jul 20, 2012 2:37 PM

So used to CS5.5, now I'm in CS6 and I came across the box which tells what size % the image on screen is is now on the bottom instead of the top bar like in CS5.5. location is not the problem but CS5.5 and all PS before had a drop down with 25% 50% 100% and 200% ahowing but CS6 you have to go in and manually edit the size. Not that big of a deal but was curious if there is an alternative like the CS5.5 way?

RD

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,931 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 20, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to mentlity

I guess there some better ways to zoom in and out now, and people are mostly using those.  The old Ctrl (cmd) 0 to fit screen is still useful, but otherwise I tend to use Alt Space-bar and left click the mouse while dragging left and right.  Ctrl Space-bar works the same.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 20, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to mentlity

The control you used has been removed, and I know of no alternatives that offer that menu of preset zoom levels, unfortunately.

I can only suggest that there are a lot of alternative methods to zoom the display (e.g., select the Zoom Tool in the Tools Panel and left or right-click the image, press and hold Control - Spacebar and click and hold the mouse button or drag to zoom, drag the slider at the bottom of the Navigator panel, Control + and Control -, etc.).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to mentlity

Nope, the plug-ins like Liquify and Filter Gallery have comprehensive zoom right-click menus but the regular Ps windows' Cmd+spacebar+right-click context menu, like the View menu zoom options, is spartan. Compare:

plug-ins zoom.pngPs-zoom.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to conroy

That percentage down in the bottom left of your image has been around for a very long time and has operated by typing in a value.

What you've lost is the Application Bar, which sat at the top and included various buttons including a set of zoom presets. The Application Bar was removed in CS6, but was first introduced in CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to Brett N

Yes, I know we can type in a percentage. My point was that the second context menu in my previous post is pathetic. Some of us prefer picking from a right-click menu instead of moving the mouse pointer to a minuscule box, highlighting the text in the box and then typing in numerals. It would be absolutely trivial for a programmer to make the second menu in my post as good as the first one.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 20, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett, you could consider putting a selector down with that little zoom box at the lower-left corner, like a plug-in...

PlugInZoomMenu.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Excellent idea. We like such requests posted on the Photoshop Feedback Site.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett N wrote:

Excellent idea. We like such requests posted on the Photoshop Feedback Site.

In that case, could you pass on my suggestion, too, please. That was putting these zoom options into the currently spartan zoom context menu.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 23, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to Brett N

Thanks for the suggestion Brett, but I've sworn off that other site - it's useless to me.  At least I learn some things occasionally over here, and one Adobe forum site is all I can stand.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points