Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

color schemes/elements

May 29, 2012 12:12 PM

I have a good understanding of color schemes(more or less)in theory.

What I lack-when I have created a color scheme(in Kuler for example)- is to decide from what color each element/font of the  webpage must be compised of.

I mean if I have a 5 color monochromatic scheme, what color must be the background or the font or some other element for that matter.

I do not believe this must be a random choice.

I made this post to the color management sub -forum but I was advised that is better to post here.

So is there any rule which governs what color gets what element?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 30, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Dimitris,

So is there any rule which governs what color gets what element?

You mean apart from what looks right is right?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to JimVag1947

Dimitris,

When I use the link, I have to press a button and see some Flash stuff or something with a new set of colours shown briefly, different every time, and then there are a few messages, There are no themes to display, and No results for ThemeID 1883079.

So up to now I am as blank as the page.

Until something somehow turns up, you may have a look at this thread (to a certain extent, but not entirely, written about print use):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4380644#4380644

I think you are better than you think you are.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to JimVag1947

Dimitris,

Now that I may be beginning to understand the question, I believe you will need to have the greatest possible contrast between background and text, in this case probably the darkest middle colour for text and the palest rightmost colour (or the grey in between if better for the actual design) for background, with the distribution of other colours depending on the actual design.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

You can check contrast with this on line tool: http://www.checkmycolours.com/

I'm sure there are others.

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Dimitris,

Dark background and light text(white).

Ah, I thought white and black were ruled out, and everything was limited to the colours shown.

The contrast between the darkest colour and white is greater than that between the palest colour and black, so your choice makes good sense.

I am over here, not over there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 1:29 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Dimitris,

I was fooled by this in your post #4:

here is an image of the color scheme,make a comment about its contrast.

I took that to mean that everything, including text, would have to be held in and limited to the five colours shown, and my suggestion in post #5 was based upon that assumption.

Your post #6 seems to show that the assumed limitation does not apply to text because you expressly mention white, which is not among the five colours shown:

I chose the opposite from what you suggested. Dark background and light text(white).

And since you can get a greater contrast with white text over the darkest colour shown in post #4 than with black text over the palest colour shown in post #4, the former is preferable, and I agree with your choice.

That was what I was trying to say in my post #8.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to JimVag1947

I find that using the color palette and kuler works the best. I use Kuler to work out a color scheme and them copy those colors into the color paletter window and it give me the colors I have chosen and some tints. It helps with the contrast.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points