• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 103 on Mac 10.7.4 having downloaded PS CS6 using the Adobe Download Assistant. Why?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I let the assistant do and chose everything that happened (is there another way?) and yet I am getting this error 103. I have found and read all the other questions on error 103 but none of the contain and actual solution. Plase HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No this page on this link does not contain error 103, thanks for the try though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the screen shot .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error 103.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it says , Your Download may be complete but unable to start the installation so , you can go to the location where you have downlaoded the software and install manually by running the setup.

and if you are unable to find the downloaded file then download again to the default location and then check

othewise refer to the http://forums.adobe.com/thread/981369 for direct download link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly you do not know how the Download Assitant works, so let me help you. Firstly on Mac, the Assistant puts the download in the downloads folder. Secondly the Assistant 'extracts' the download automatically, just as one would oneself when one clicked on the .dmg file. Nautrally if the assitant 'clicks' on  the .dmg file, or the user does, it makes no difference to error 103 still coming up! Of course I amd others have found the downloaded file and clicked on it ourselves, clearly this is not the solution!

The question remains unanswered: What is error 103 and why is it coming up and what must we do to solve it?

Is this a common fault to the download assistant as your suggestion to not use the assistant would suggest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error 103 is a fairly rare error or at least I don't see it posted very often to the forum.  When you tried mounting the DMG file do you receive a specific error message?  I reviewed this thread and all I see is the Error 103 within the Adobe Download Assistant itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same error on a brand new macbook pro running lion osx. This is not a rare problem, it comes up on your forums in at least three different locations and I have read all three forums and you have not provided a solution. Both the direct download version and the assistant download version have problems mounting the dmg file.

I don't understand why a download and installation assistant can't extract and install a program onto a brand new mac with a common os without users having to read 3 hrs worth of forum comments and still come up empty. At least tell us that you are working on the problem rather than direct us to solutions that don't apply to the error at hand.

When I try manually mounting the dmg file, I get the following message from my OS:

"Error 4960. The following disk images could not be opened"

When I try to do so through adobe assistant, it comes up as "Error 103" with no further explanation.

We are posting here because we want to know what error 103 is. Simply telling us it is a "rare" problem doesn't do much for us. Please find out and tell us how to fix this problem. I have no problems downloading and installing other programs of similar size and complexity...why is this so hard with adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

attilathe1 thank you for all of your research on this.  Did you follow the process that Manish posted in message #3 to initiate the direct download?  If so and you are receiving the error 4960 then it would indicate your download is corrupt.  Since this is occuring when you are downloading directly and not using the Adobe Download Assistant then it may indicate problems with your Internet connection.  I would recommend trying a different Internet provider to see if you experience the same difficulty.  If you do not then please contact your Internet Service Provider.

As for the error 103 I have been reviewing the majority of all posts in this forum and it still does not appear to be occuring very commonly.  I will certainly continue to keep an eye out and see if it might be related to the ability to download large files.  Your testing of a different Internet provider would really help me quantify if this is what is causing the Error 103 as well.  I am looking forward to an update with your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

I solved my problem last time by redowloading CS6. However I have now dowloaded Dreamweaver CS6 and have gotten the exact same result: error 103. Before I downloaded Dw, I upgraded the download assistant to version 1.2.2 in an attempt NOT to have to do this agian. When I try to manually mount the dmg I get a warning box that says "illigal seek"

Here is the screen capture:

Dw CS6 error 103.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting PeterBFreeman.  Please try the solutions offered in the thread including the direct download option.  As mentioned in message #9 this could be indiciations regarding the stability of your Internet connection over sustained periods while downloading large files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

I thought a download assistant was there to overcome any 'stability' problems of Internet connections. If the download manager is not able to do this then then what it its point?

This Dw download is from a different Internet carrier than my earlier Ps download. Different carriers same problem, common denominator = Adobe Download Assistant.

Since I logged this question over 800 people have read it, indicating that over 800 people have come across error 103. How many more have simply downloaded their software again and not come to the forums? I would guess most people have taken this route, (the path of least pain) indicating that the problem is widespread and not rare at all.

I think its time you stopped guessing what error 103 is and go and find out, don't you? Surely somewhere in Adobe there is the team who created the download manager and who know what error 103 is? There must be some explanation from someone some where, surely?

I have solved the problem by again, re-downloading the software. It is blatantly evident at this point that using the download assistant is like entering a lottery; you may get the program or you may not. Try and try again is what Adobe's plan is, rather than taking the need for a proper download assistant seriously.

Until the actual problem is addressed everyone must simply dread having to download Adobe software it would seem....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I might have to resort to downloading the program from an illegal torrent, just so that I can use my legitimate-purchased product key on it. Would that constitute a form of intellectual property irony?

I am in total agreement with PeterBFreeman. I download 20-30 GB of data per week from other sources at a fast rate, with no problems. Obviously my internet connection speed is not the issue. Nor is my ISP--like PeterBFreeman above, I have tried to do this at two locations with different ISP providers. Could it possibly be that the download-speed problems are on Adobe's end? Because that would make way way way more sense...

And by the way, Manish in comment #3 posted a solution to every error EXCEPT error 103. Exactly which of the 10 or so solutions he provides applies to error 103? Or do I just blindly follow them all, hoping that one will work? Do you really know if any of these will work, or are you just blindly throwing solutions at me hoping that you might get lucky?

FYI, like i clearly stated earlier, I also did a direct download...four times...each of which failed miserably (error 4960--failure mounting dmg file). I wish I could just walk away, but I absolutely depend on Adobe products to survive. So I am stuck. I feel like a battered spouse.

After sifting through a number of forums and double speak--the real problem seems to be that both the Adobe Download Assistant and the direct download links have a very hard time producing an uncorrupted file. The download assistant is supposed to smooth out this problem--and under ideal circumstances, it should be able to peice together a workable file. But alas, download assistant can't seem to do the one thing it is supposed to do--and getting an uncorrupted file seems more like a crapshoot than anything else as PeterBFreeman suggests.

The direct download links also have problems because I can never seem to get a decent download speed--and either it times out or my browser cancells the downloads due to slow download speeds (this happens when I have no other problems with download speed for other applications, programs, media). The four times I did finally download the entire file (twice via direct download and twice via download assistant) I got errors 4960 and error 103 respectively.

Yet, the answer we keep getting from Adobe is, "keep doing the same even though you get the same crappy result every time". This is literally insane. Or I get just straight aversion of the question--either blaming my ISP, or my internet speed or by calling my problem "Rare" when it clearly isnt that rare.

Error 103 is an adobe error. This means that someone at Adobe came up with the number (103) which corresponds with whatever the error is. Telling me that it is rare without indicating what the error is seems just like bad customer service. The problem is clearly beyond your customer service unit. Please please please, go find a person who knows what error 103 is and ask them the following:

1) What is error 103? (i.e. can you give me a semi-coherent definition of what error 103 is?)

2) What causes error 103? (other than it being rare?)

3) Can you give me some step by step instructions to fix or avert this problem? (instructions for error 103. Not error 100, 101, 102, 104, etc)

4) If the causes can be many, what are they and can you give me step by step instructions for each of the possible causes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PeterBFreeman and Attilathe1 I am sorry that you are continuing to experience difficulties with the download process.  At this point I would recommend contacting our support team so they can work with you individually and escalate your difficulties if needed.  For the best assistance, I recommend our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.  Our chat representatives can provide a personalized experience to resolve the issue you have described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines