Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Questions about camera motion

Jul 21, 2012 8:46 AM

If I start moving the camera in a vertical circular path around any 3D object, which can be one of the objects from Element 3D, extruded text either from that plugin or with the Raytrace renderer, at one point when the camera in a vertical line right above or below the object, suddenly it changes and the object is rotated. Kind of hard to explain without showing, but lets suppose I have extruded text of my name, Sebastian. Using the orbit tool while pressing shift, I select around the middle of the word and start moving the mouse down, so the camera shows the text from above. When the camera reaches the point where it's on a straight vertical line above the extruded text, suddenly it does a 180 degree rotation on its Z axis, and as I keep moving the mouse down and the camera lowers from behind the text, I can see the text from behind, but it's not upside down as it should be if this was a real camera. Meaning, the Seb, which used to be on the left, after passing that point, now is on the right. By logic it should remain on the left, with the text upside down.

This same behaviour happens if I move the camera with the orbit tool but below the text instead of above. And it happens with any of the objects from Element 3D, as well as extruded text with Raytracing. This is rather confusing, is there a way to prevent it from happening?

The other question I have is, if I want to have  the camera rotate in a perfect circle around objects, with the orbit camera I can press shift while moving the mouse to right or left and it goes around them in a perfect circle. However, if I try to keyframe this I have to move to different points in time, about one second apart, rotate the camera position and set each keyframe, and then using the top view, I have to adjust bezier curves for each keyframe to make the circular motion as smooth as possible.

So this leads me to two questions: Is there a way to make that circular motion in an easy way that doesn't involve moving the cursor to each point, setting up keyframes, etc.? One way would be, and this is the second question, is there a way to record the movement of the camera as you move it with the mouse? Kind of like when using the puppet tool, when you press CTRL while moving a pin and it records the motion in real time to add keyframes?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Sebasvideo

This is rather confusing, is there a way to prevent it from happening?

No. It's called gimbal lock and an inherent problem in any 3D environment. You avoid it by parenting the camera to a Null (or multiple hierarchical Nulls) and animating separate rotations on each of them to isolate the rotation planes.

Is there a way to make that circular motion in an easy way that doesn't involve moving the cursor to each point, setting up keyframes, etc.?

Similar to the above: You simply parent it to a Null and rotate the Null.

is there a way to record the movement of the camera as you move it with the mouse?

No.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points