Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wrong Page Displaying as 1st Page in Generated Help

Jul 21, 2012 9:41 AM

Tags: #start #problem #page #webhelp

I have designated the following topic as the start page for the WebHelp I'm generating:

C:\12.1\CoreDevelopment\Main\src\MResources\Help\WebHelp\Help_Landing_ Page.htm

However, after the WebHelp is generated, it's actually showing some other file as the first page (i.e., I generate WebHelp, click View Results, and this other Help page displays as the first page). This other page is in the following location:

C:/12.1/CoreDevelopment/Main/src/MResources/Help/WebHelp/Questions_Lis t_Pages/Find_Courses.htm

What could be causing this problem and how do I fix it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 21, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to LaKisha1

Hi there

What version of RoboHelp are you using? If it's version 9, are you also using the Content Categories feature?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2012 12:33 AM   in reply to LaKisha1

Sorry LaKisha but I can't agree that with your last line.

Go to any web site and you are presented with a page, no matter what it contains it is a page.

When a user opens the help, they have to open a page, that page has always been known as the start page. In the RoboHelp dialog you are not selecting a topic, you are defining where the start page will be generated and its filename. Prior to RoboHelp 9 that filename defaulted to the project name.

Also in the dialog in older versions of RoboHelp, the same page of the dialog where you configure the webhelp output contained another field for the default topic. A topic is presented in one of the three frames of the page presented to users, the start page and logically the start page opens with the default topic in the main frame.

That had to change in RoboHelp 9 because of content categories.They allow the help to be presented with different groups of content so the default topic for one may not even be in the topics of another category. Each category has to have its own default topic, hence moving where the default topic is defined from the same page as the Start Page to where the content categories are defined.

I think the confusion is that you are thinking of the default topic as being the same as the start page. They are very different things.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points