Skip navigation

Flash Player 9

Nov 8, 2006 5:44 PM

Latest reply: Newsgroup_User, Nov 30, 2006 3:07 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2006 1:08 PM   in reply to OneWillie
    Lexonex,

Thanks for your info. I did some more testing and investigation and I have a possible clue:

First, the "View Objects" button shows the contents of the Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder. This is where IE keeps info about all the ActiveX controls (like Flash ActiveX stuff). This folder does not get deleted when you "Delete Temporary Internet Files" in IE 6. It can be emptied using an option in "Disc Cleanup" utility.

When you see the object {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} in that folder, that only shows when the Flash ActiveX control is unregistered in the Registry. When Flash Player 9 is installed, and correctly registered, then this object name disappears and is replaced by one called "Shockwave Flash Object".

Could it be that when you saw the object {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} disappear from what you thought were the Temporary Internet Files list that it indeed ws being replaced by the Shockwave Flash Object that was just installed from Adobe?

I have uninstalled and then re-installed Flash 9 several times and each time I got the same results. After installation I see Shockwave Flash Object, and after the un-installation I see {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}. Also, I noted that the "Status" column shows "unknown" when the {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} is present, and "installed" when the Shockwave Flash Object is present.

You might run "regedit" from a dos command and check the registry key at The registry key can be found at HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}\InProcServer32. The values should show "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9.ocx".

Since you indicated that you were able to install IE7 and all now seems to work, it adds credence to the thought that IE6 and/or your registry was perhaps corrupted and now IE7 has fixed that issue.

I also found several references that noted that programs such as virus checkers and spyware watchers can prevent correct registration of the ActiveX controls. Therefore, once you have uninstalled Flash, it is a good idea to turn off virus protection and the such while you install the Flash 9.

When you upgraded to IE 7, if you follwed the Microsoft prompts, you were instructed to turn off virus checkers first. If you installed Flash 9 before turning virus protection back on, then you likely have the ActiveX control registered correctly.

Just some thoughts that might help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2006 11:34 PM   in reply to OneWillie
    Hi,
    I see that Chris has spent mostly the revious two days replying this post (Chris is a very busy freelance designer and I doubt he even sleep at night;)).
    We are here to share and help, and give from out time for this volunteery task with happiness. People like Chris spends years trying to help since I was looking to be Flash certified or Adobe Community Expert and learnt from them alot. I think any try to help from him should be apperiated.
    We do not claim that we know every tiny problem that happens in Flash around and we are not trying to hide bugs because this is not good either for us or for Adobe.
    And if you find s your problem is a bug, it is always useful to report it at the following link:

http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html

As I understand from the posts that IE 7 solved the problem, right?

And I agree with Chris as this problem is rare to happen. Although, there are posts like that, but it is not the same. It always related to the duplication of the Flash Player versions installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2006 8:12 PM   in reply to OneWillie
    This is Lexonex..just got back from Los Angeles...Will try and get caught up with responses this week.....Interesting reading so far...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2006 5:07 PM   in reply to OneWillie
    I do appreciate everyone's advice and fix suggestions...but, I admit it is over my head...regedit and hidden files, I don't want to go there...I like it simple...my flash9 is working fine since installing IE7...of course, I have not deleted or cleaned my "objects" file yet...but, I have deleted temporary internet files and the flash9 is operational...I am NOT an adobe basher...I have gone out and bought photoshop elements and acrobat 7.0 standard..I like these adobe products...Just a shame when a flash is not operational and you install over and over again and you have nothing and NOT known to you is that you MUST first use the adobe uninstaller...I'll try and always help those new users when I see their posts....

Thanks to all

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2006 5:23 PM   in reply to Lexonex
    HI there.
    My name is Eric and I have to agree with the people in this forum. This is NOT an isolated problem. I had the exact same problem on my computer when I installed IE7. Flash quit working. I re-installed and it said, "Congrats, you have successfully upgraded, etc." but then when I came back to the site later or went to a site like nba.com it said I had to reinstall. So, I ran the uninstaller, like people are saying to do, and then it worked. But while the adobe site tells me Flash is installed, I still cannot view flash content on nba.com. It works FINE in Firefox. But IE7 (in my experience) and Flash 9 don't play nicely together.

Now, my sister up in AK, who isn't a computer techie by any means, has used Ccleaner to clean her cache and now she cannot install Flash 9. So, while the "experts" here say it is an isolated problem, I would have to disagree. My sister uses IE7 and Windows XP Home.

I use Firefox most of the time so I'm not too worried about this issue. But, my sister uses IE 7 and I feel I steered her wrong by telling her to use Ccleaner to clean her cache. Now, her flash is rendered useless and she cannot reinstall it, even after running the uninstaller and reinstalling flash again.

NOT an isolated problem.

Eric
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Firefox 2.0 - flash works fine
    IE7 - flash works fine but not on certain sites

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2006 6:59 PM   in reply to Lexonex
    > My name is Eric and I have to agree with the people in this forum. This
    > is
    > NOT an isolated problem.

Just because you have had the problem, doesn't mean its not isolated to a
    relatively small minority. It just means you are part of that minority.

> My sister uses IE7 and Windows XP Home.

Well .. there you go ..two people with problems (although her problem does
    not sound the same as yours)

> Eric
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    > Firefox 2.0 - flash works fine
    > IE7 - flash works fine but not on certain sites

Either flash player works or it doesn't.

If it fails only on certain sites, the problem is most likely with that site
    (ie it could have bad flash detection script that need updating)

BTW: You've not confirmed that your version of flash player installed for
    Firefox is the same as that you have installed for IE7 (they can be
    different, especially if you've been having 'problems').
    --
    Jeckyl

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2006 6:59 AM   in reply to Lexonex
    you are not understanding the point i was making even though i clearly explained it in black and
    white several times.
    His problem *was* an isolated problem because he was cleaning his cache (temp internet files) and
    losing functionality as a result. Please understand that is why i kept asking the same question over
    and over - how he was cleaning cache and if he was using 3rd party tools. Apprently he was not. This
    is the one and only time on the forum i have seen this issue in 8 years.

Your sister is using a 3rd party cleaner thaty obviously has a setting she can adjust (as most do)
    to clean specific folders while not scanning for others. Apparently she has her cleaner program set
    to delete/clean downloaded programs as well.

Please make sure you read everything in this thread clearly before making your point.

thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --> Adobe Certified Expert
    --> www.mudbubble.com
    --> www.keyframer.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mre1 wrote:
    > HI there.
    > My name is Eric and I have to agree with the people in this forum. This is
    > NOT an isolated problem. I had the exact same problem on my computer when I
    > installed IE7. Flash quit working. I re-installed and it said, "Congrats, you
    > have successfully upgraded, etc." but then when I came back to the site later
    > or went to a site like nba.com it said I had to reinstall. So, I ran the
    > uninstaller, like people are saying to do, and then it worked. But while the
    > adobe site tells me Flash is installed, I still cannot view flash content on
    > nba.com. It works FINE in Firefox. But IE7 (in my experience) and Flash 9
    > don't play nicely together.
    >
    > Now, my sister up in AK, who isn't a computer techie by any means, has used
    > Ccleaner to clean her cache and now she cannot install Flash 9. So, while the
    > "experts" here say it is an isolated problem, I would have to disagree. My
    > sister uses IE7 and Windows XP Home.
    >
    > I use Firefox most of the time so I'm not too worried about this issue. But,
    > my sister uses IE 7 and I feel I steered her wrong by telling her to use
    > Ccleaner to clean her cache. Now, her flash is rendered useless and she cannot
    > reinstall it, even after running the uninstaller and reinstalling flash again.
    >
    > NOT an isolated problem.
    >
    > Eric
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    > Firefox 2.0 - flash works fine
    > IE7 - flash works fine but not on certain sites
    >
    >
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2006 9:38 PM   in reply to RayOrr
    What are the specific symptoms that tell you Flash Plug-in is not installed?
    I have had this issue for well over a year now. My system is showing to be installed but when I visit different website I am unabale to view the flash.

What web site are you visiting when have these problems?
    Yahoo Maps, Myspace - On my myspace page http://www.myspace.com/beach_side I was able to at least be able to see all my picture that were on there through the "Rock You" website but now I can nologner see them.

After installing Flash Player 9 from the Adobe site, do you see the flash movie?

I use too but it still wouldn't work. After using the Flash unistall that I save to my desk top I tried to re-download the flash from the Adobe website and now all I get is " ". I read another thread on here that mentioned something about this that the Flash had been down loaded to many times which i probably true since i have tried to down load it like 20 times this weekend. I have another computer in my home office that has the same set up as the one with the issue and the Flash works just fine on it.
    Both are XP, IE7, Norton, spybot, adware and AVG virus protection.

Can you see the flash header on the Adobe.com site?
    Yes

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Richelle

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2006 9:10 PM   in reply to OneWillie
    Richelle,

This seems to be a sticky issue, but I'll offer some of what I have learned about this stuff.

First, it appears that the Flash Player 9 has incorporated some new security features in order to comply with Windows Vista stuff. These features (not sure specifically what they are) make use of some registry areas, permissions, and other features of IE7 for the first time. As a result, your registry and some parts of your IE6 installation could be corrupted and you never noticed a serious problem until the new version of Flash Player.

Not knowing just what causes the problems, I have been able to duplicate some of these issues on my computer. Unfortunately, these problems were encountered when I was not expecting problems so I didn't document the steps and I cannot reproduce the errors.

However, my latest partial process to "fix" problems are as follows:

Get the newest version of the Flash Uninstaller (as of 11/14/2006) from this Tech Note: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157 and run it as instructed in the tech note. Do not use any existing Uninstaller you may have on your computer now.

Go to the folder "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash" and delete all the files in this folder. (leave the folder)

Go to the folder "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files" and if you find "Shockwave Flash Object", delete it. It should not appear, as it will only show if you have correctly registered the ActiveX control (in which case you would not be having these problems).

Just for grins, open the Control Panel, Add or Remove Porgrams and look for any instances of Flash Player that may still show. Hopefully, there will be none.

Now, go to www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ and insure that it does not show Flash Player version installed.

To be safe, reboot your computer into "Safe mode with Networking" to make usre none of your security programs are interfering. This will insure that you don't have any programs running that might use Flash. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222 if you need to know how to do this.

I have found references that Norton Internet Utilities can interfere with the Flash Player install ( http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166), so at least de-active it before installing the new Flash Player.

Now open IE7 and open the Adobe.com home page and click on the link to install Flash Player. If you get no error messages, then you are likely in good condition. If you get error messages, note these and let me know what you find.

Now go to "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash" and check that you have two files installed (Flash9b.ocx (v9.0.28), FlashUtil9b.exe). This indicates that the files downloaded correctly from Adobe and are available to IE7.

Finally, go again to the "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files" and look for "Shockwave Flash Object" It should show in the Status column as "Installed". This shows that the ActiveX control has indeed registered. If this is not present, then we can go to a next layer of troubleshooting.

This approach is a bit tedious, but it should insure that you have no interferring stuff active, and that you have removed all existing traces of Flash Player installs.

Hope this helps a bit as it did for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 11:48 AM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    I am not sure why it is so important for some people on this forum to deny that there are many users experiencing this problem. I have been trying to find a solution for several days. Just searching these forums shows that there are other LENGTHY threads discussing it. I searched for "registry" in the message body (had to use the advanced search because the simple search is buggy) and found these just off the bat:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=1 5&catid=194&threadid=1199210&highlight_key=y&keyword1=registry

Installing Flash 9 ... Keep Getting Quotations

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=1 5&catid=194&threadid=1203740&highlight_key=y&keyword1=registry

Extreme Problems getting Flash for IE ... I've tried it all

Can we just agree that this isn't an isolated problem. I don't call myself a "Flash Expert" as some do, but I have been using it since it was called "Future Splash". :)

I was running the latest IE 6 with all updates. I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash. I have cleared my cache the "PROPER" way, by going into the IE tools, not using 3rd party stuff. I have used the latest Flash uninstaller. When I get home I will try some of the suggestions on this thread to see if perhaps they can finally get me out of the woods on this.

In the meantime, the "Experts" that are saying this is an isolated problem should learn a bit of humility, IMHO. Even if it is rare now, going into denial just masks the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 12:01 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

simpledon wrote:
    ...ignorant terms
    > and somebody like our "**Certified Adobe Expert**" claims not to have EVER seen
    > the problem before....
    >
    >

I'm here everyday for years - and i stand by my statement: I have never ever seen the issue raised
    here where the flash player installs to the temp cache folder and thereby gets deleted everytime
    cache is cleaned - no ignorance in that statement so careful with wht you say.

I have asked several other colleagues and they all agree - it is something that the installer is
    simply not designed to do (install to tamp cahce folder).

Sure - i see a lot of people with flash player issues - and it usually turns out that they have a
    popup blocker installed that also blocks flash content. or they never give enough info for anyone to
    troubleshoot - or they simply never post back with their solutions.

Please look at the other links to threads describing this problem. They predate your post. This has been reported since at least September.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 12:21 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    well i give up - i never denied this issue - the problem here is what the original poster said:

"Every time I dump my cache I lose Flash Player 9"

I'm simply staying on topic. Flash player simply does not install to temp cache period. I have
    always acknowledged flash player issues and personally brought up the topic to the flash team months
    ago.

please stop accusing me of something that is completely untrue - i cant figure out how to type it
    out more clearly than this.

I'm out of this thread - jeesh!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --> Adobe Certified Expert
    --> www.mudbubble.com
    --> www.keyframer.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wunderwood wrote:
    > I am not sure why it is so important for some people on this forum to deny that
    > there are many users experiencing this problem. I have been trying to find a
    > solution for several days. Just searching these forums shows that there are
    > other LENGTHY threads discussing it. I searched for "registry" in the message
    > body (had to use the advanced search because the simple search is buggy) and
    > found these just off the bat:
    >
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=1 5&catid=19
    > 4&threadid=1199210&highlight_key=y&keyword1=registry
    >
    > Installing Flash 9 ... Keep Getting Quotations
    >
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=1 5&catid=19
    > 4&threadid=1203740&highlight_key=y&keyword1=registry
    >
    > Extreme Problems getting Flash for IE ... I've tried it all
    >
    > Can we just agree that this isn't an isolated problem. I don't call myself a
    > "Flash Expert" as some do, but I have been using it since it was called "Future
    > Splash". :)
    >
    > I was running the latest IE 6 with all updates. I uninstalled and reinstalled
    > Flash. I have cleared my cache the "PROPER" way, by going into the IE tools,
    > not using 3rd party stuff. I have used the latest Flash uninstaller. When I get
    > home I will try some of the suggestions on this thread to see if perhaps they
    > can finally get me out of the woods on this.
    >
    > In the meantime, the "Experts" that are saying this is an isolated problem
    > should learn a bit of humility, IMHO. Even if it is rare now, going into denial
    > just masks the problem.
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 12:59 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    OneWillie said that after clearing cache he was unable to run Flash. He never said that it was being installed there. That was a suggestion by Jeckyl. There are several legitimate ways to clear cache, not just using IE Tools, even though Lexonex says that he has used several methods. It isn't clear that the problem is with a user installing Flash Player 9 in a cached folder. In fact, that is absurd. The user comes to the Adobe site and clicks on a button. The ActiveX control takes over after that.

At one point you said:

===
    ok thanks for the clarification - still never heard of this before - so the problem is 1 of 2 things:
    1. your OS's cleaning utility is actually delting downloaded plugins and is somehow the only reported machine doing this. it is either deleting all installed plugins (like quicktime, real player, etc..) or just singling out flash.
    2. The flash player installer is installing itself into your temp cache folder - but only on your machine - because it has never been reported before until now - so it is is not a design of the installer - something very wierd is happening on your machine.
    Very hard to troubleshoot without being able to look around. I have no ideas.
    ===
    Since Lexonex is seeing the problem using "legitimate" cache cleaning, #1 is nonsense. Since the flash player controls where it installs itself, #2 is nonsense also. There is a bug with the flash player installer. Whether this bug is caused after someone has cleared the cache is not firmly established, but it is a credible scenario. I cleared the cache on my IE as well (using the IE Tools method), but I don't know if that is when the Flash installation bug started happenening.

Perhaps you are saying that you have never seen a bug where Flash installs itself in cache. No one here seems to believe that this is limited to such a narrowly defined problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 1:21 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    May I ask why you are concentrating all your efforts attacking me like this? I'm here everyday for
    years trying help as many people as possible. perhaps I may have overstepped some unwritten boundary
    by saying that this scenario is very rare - well excuse me - i was here trying to help. If you feel
    this is worth pursuing to make me apologize for not being "expert' enought - then I apologize -
    there ya go. Is everyone happy now?

I simply don't have the time to read your entire replies - so maybe i am over reacting or missed the
    point.

Sorry everyone. I humbly bow out of this thread and any thread pertaining to very rare scenerios
    involving flash player issues when cleaning cache.

-chris

wunderwood wrote:
    > OneWillie said that after clearing cache he was unable to run Flash. He never
    > said that it was being installed there. That was a suggestion by Jeckyl. There
    > are several legitimate ways to clear cache, not just using IE Tools, even
    > though Lexonex says that he has used several methods. It isn't clear that the
    > problem is with a user installing Flash Player 9 in a cached folder. In fact,
    > that is absurd. The user comes to the Adobe site and clicks on a button. The
    > ActiveX control takes over after that.
    >
    > At one point you said:
    >
    > ===
    > ok thanks for the clarification - still never heard of this before - so the
    > problem is 1 of 2 things:
    > 1. your OS's cleaning utility is actually delting downloaded plugins and is
    > somehow the only reported machine doing this. it is either deleting all
    > installed plugins (like quicktime, real player, etc..) or just singling out
    > flash.
    > 2. The flash player installer is installing itself into your temp cache folder
    > - but only on your machine - because it has never been reported before until
    > now - so it is is not a design of the installer - something very wierd is
    > happening on your machine.
    > Very hard to troubleshoot without being able to look around. I have no ideas.
    > ===
    > Since Lexonex is seeing the problem using "legitimate" cache cleaning, #1 is
    > nonsense. Since the flash player controls where it installs itself, #2 is
    > nonsense also. There is a bug with the flash player installer. Whether this bug
    > is caused after someone has cleared the cache is not firmly established, but it
    > is a credible scenario. I cleared the cache on my IE as well (using the IE
    > Tools method), but I don't know if that is when the Flash installation bug
    > started happenening.
    >
    > Perhaps you are saying that you have never seen a bug where Flash installs
    > itself in cache. No one here seems to believe that this is limited to such a
    > narrowly defined problem.
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 1:23 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    go here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.flash/browse_thread/thread/9 b01ca2839a1d3f1/aa30a350825b1e2b?lnk=st&q=&rnum=10&hl=en#aa30a350825b1 e2b

Back in 2004 this happened once and Jeckyl hinself even mentions he never heard of this issue before
    - go criticize him.

wunderwood wrote:
    > OneWillie said that after clearing cache he was unable to run Flash. He never
    > said that it was being installed there. That was a suggestion by Jeckyl. There
    > are several legitimate ways to clear cache, not just using IE Tools, even
    > though Lexonex says that he has used several methods. It isn't clear that the
    > problem is with a user installing Flash Player 9 in a cached folder. In fact,
    > that is absurd. The user comes to the Adobe site and clicks on a button. The
    > ActiveX control takes over after that.
    >
    > At one point you said:
    >
    > ===
    > ok thanks for the clarification - still never heard of this before - so the
    > problem is 1 of 2 things:
    > 1. your OS's cleaning utility is actually delting downloaded plugins and is
    > somehow the only reported machine doing this. it is either deleting all
    > installed plugins (like quicktime, real player, etc..) or just singling out
    > flash.
    > 2. The flash player installer is installing itself into your temp cache folder
    > - but only on your machine - because it has never been reported before until
    > now - so it is is not a design of the installer - something very wierd is
    > happening on your machine.
    > Very hard to troubleshoot without being able to look around. I have no ideas.
    > ===
    > Since Lexonex is seeing the problem using "legitimate" cache cleaning, #1 is
    > nonsense. Since the flash player controls where it installs itself, #2 is
    > nonsense also. There is a bug with the flash player installer. Whether this bug
    > is caused after someone has cleared the cache is not firmly established, but it
    > is a credible scenario. I cleared the cache on my IE as well (using the IE
    > Tools method), but I don't know if that is when the Flash installation bug
    > started happenening.
    >
    > Perhaps you are saying that you have never seen a bug where Flash installs
    > itself in cache. No one here seems to believe that this is limited to such a
    > narrowly defined problem.
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 2:44 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    >I am not sure why it is so important for some people on this forum to deny
    >that
    > there are many users experiencing this problem.

There are indeed people with problems. The vast majority of people don't
    have them. If only we knew what it was about the PC setup and way they
    install for these very few people who have the problem so we could have nice
    clear answers to give out. If it WAS happening to a LOT of people and was
    easily reproducible, then it would be easy to come up with answers. The
    reason that it is such a nasty problem is because it happens to relatively
    few people. So while the vast majority have no problems and enjoy life, for
    those few who DO have problems, its very frustrating.

> In the meantime, the "Experts" that are saying this is an isolated problem
    > should learn a bit of humility, IMHO. Even if it is rare now, going into
    > denial
    > just masks the problem.

I deny being in denial
    --
    Jeckyl

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 2:48 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    > Back in 2004 this happened once and Jeckyl hinself even mentions he never
    > heard of this issue before - go criticize him.

I'm used to it :)
    --
    Jeckyl

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2006 3:07 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    Yes - I agree jeckyl - there's something really weird about how the player is downloaded and/or
    installed on the windows platform - it's impossible to reproduce with any amount of consistency as I
    myself have never had a single problem with any version of the flash player on multiple PCs running
    windows 95, 98, 2000, XP home and XP Pro - IE and Firefox (all versions).

Yet there are way too many reports of people having a hard time:

1. Downloading the player.
    2. Installing the player

Why, on some machines - possibly less than 1% of them, the player is being installed to a temp cache
    folder is beyond me. Assuming the machines this is happening on have default settings - there's no
    possible way to troubleshoot unless the machine is accessible. And even then there's no guarantee.
    It's frustrating to hear these player issues and no concrete solution.

Her'e one person's solution posted recently in this or some other thread:

Richelle,

This seems to be a sticky issue, but I'll offer some of what I have learned
    about this stuff.

First, it appears that the Flash Player 9 has incorporated some new security
    features in order to comply with Windows Vista stuff. These features (not sure
    specifically what they are) make use of some registry areas, permissions, and
    other features of IE7 for the first time. As a result, your registry and some
    parts of your IE6 installation could be corrupted and you never noticed a
    serious problem until the new version of Flash Player.

Not knowing just what causes the problems, I have been able to duplicate some
    of these issues on my computer. Unfortunately, these problems were encountered
    when I was not expecting problems so I didn't document the steps and I cannot
    reproduce the errors.

However, my latest partial process to "fix" problems are as follows:

Get the newest version of the Flash Uninstaller (as of 11/14/2006) from this
    Tech Note: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157 and run it as instructed in the
    tech note. Do not use any existing Uninstaller you may have on your computer
    now.

Go to the folder "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash" and delete all the files
    in this folder. (leave the folder)

Go to the folder "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files" and if you find
    "Shockwave Flash Object", delete it. It should not appear, as it will only
    show if you have correctly registered the ActiveX control (in which case you
    would not be having these problems).

Just for grins, open the Control Panel, Add or Remove Porgrams and look for
    any instances of Flash Player that may still show. Hopefully, there will be
    none.

Now, go to www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ and insure that it does
    not show Flash Player version installed.

To be safe, reboot your computer into "Safe mode with Networking" to make usre
    none of your security programs are interfering. This will insure that you
    don't have any programs running that might use Flash. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222 if you need to know how to do this.

I have found references that Norton Internet Utilities can interfere with the
    Flash Player install ( http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166), so at least de-active
    it before installing the new Flash Player.

Now open IE7 and open the Adobe.com home page and click on the link to install
    Flash Player. If you get no error messages, then you are likely in good
    condition. If you get error messages, note these and let me know what you find.

Now go to "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash" and check that you have two
    files installed (Flash9b.ocx (v9.0.28), FlashUtil9b.exe). This indicates that
    the files downloaded correctly from Adobe and are available to IE7.

Finally, go again to the "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files" and look for
    "Shockwave Flash Object" It should show in the Status column as "Installed".
    This shows that the ActiveX control has indeed registered. If this is not
    present, then we can go to a next layer of troubleshooting.

This approach is a bit tedious, but it should insure that you have no
    interferring stuff active, and that you have removed all existing traces of
    Flash Player installs.

Hope this helps a bit as it did for me.

-c

Jeckyl wrote:
    >>I am not sure why it is so important for some people on this forum to deny
    >>that
    >>there are many users experiencing this problem.
    >
    >
    > There are indeed people with problems. The vast majority of people don't
    > have them. If only we knew what it was about the PC setup and way they
    > install for these very few people who have the problem so we could have nice
    > clear answers to give out. If it WAS happening to a LOT of people and was
    > easily reproducible, then it would be easy to come up with answers. The
    > reason that it is such a nasty problem is because it happens to relatively
    > few people. So while the vast majority have no problems and enjoy life, for
    > those few who DO have problems, its very frustrating.
    >
    >
    >>In the meantime, the "Experts" that are saying this is an isolated problem
    >>should learn a bit of humility, IMHO. Even if it is rare now, going into
    >>denial
    >>just masks the problem.
    >
    >
    > I deny being in denial
    > --
    > Jeckyl
    >
    >

|
    Mark as: